Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    The answer is simple . So Woody could say he did everything he could to get the best GM to the JETS, even though he knew they would never come if they were told they had to take Rex. Now Woody doesn' have to pay big bucks for a big GM name. Now woody can go with a cheap GM instead of doing right by the former jet fans!
    Still didn't have to hire the firm to do that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    tanny tried, from farve to clemens to sanchez to ainge. i give him credit for trying. he didn't ignore the position. but they need a gm who can identify a qb and go and get him. i think teams should draft 1 qb every year in any round and that would increase the chance you find someone.
    They also need a coaching staff in place to help develop that QB. Just throwing a young QB out there and say "manage this game" and "dont lose this for us", doesnt constitute developing a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They also need a coaching staff in place to help develop that QB. Just throwing a young QB out there and say "manage this game" and "dont lose this for us", doesnt constitute developing a QB.
    Which is why they canned Cavanaugh.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You still haven't answered my question about lying at the press conference.
    Ok, see if you can follow this.

Rex is going to lean on the new GM for input.

Translation: Rex, the HC, higher on the totem pole then the GM. Just like Seattle and recently in Philly. Problem is that Reid and Carroll have proven they can last in this league and are known more for their coaching than their you tube videos and tattoos.

Next, Woody said that the new GM will have to work well with Rex and that Rex will have input into the decision.

Translation: if this is true, Rex was not part of any of the interviews with Gamble, Caldwell, Dorsey. Remember, he was in the Bahamas. Not sure if he was privy to the interview with Ross, but I think I am pretty confident nobody from the Giants organization thinks highly of Rex. This means Cohen will be the choice.

Now why this won't work:

Rex is not getting extended during this season. So he is desperate to win in 2013 when even the most optimistic fan recognizes the challenges of this. Even cutting Pace, Scott, J. smith, E. Smith, it doesn't give us enough cap space (even at vet minimum) to resign or replace those mentioned above and Greene, Slauson, Moore, Keller, Edwards, DeVito, Thomas, Bell, and Landry. We only have 7 draft picks. We do have a replacement for Scott but no one else has a player ready to step up.

We also have Howard and Cumberland that are restricted free agents.

This hasn't even addressed the QB position.

What we are going to see is a desperate coach making desperate moves and a GM powerless to stop him.

This is going to set us back a hell of a lot worse than anything Tanny did.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Think of how different things would look right now IF Sanchez turned out to be QB he was supposed to be. You are right, there is a lot of luck involved with this.
    This team may have ruined Andrew Luck or RG3. Look at the garbage offensive coaches we'eve had. We've killed every QB!!

Every QB leaves us and has career years.

Sanchez for all we know would have been a star elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's pretty clear that Caldwell played the Jets to get more money from the Jags, which reports are that he did.

If the team goes with Cohen they will continue to get absolutely roasted by the media and fans. There's really no excuse to go with Cohen who was part of the failed regime to begin with.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Still didn't have to hire the firm to do that.
    Maybe not., but I think Woody knew the fans were/are, PO'd and if their new choice failed, Woody could say it was the consulting firms top choice & he just went along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora

"With SF's Tom Gamble's star not as bright with the Jets right now, hearing NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support"

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...28226535206914
    What did I tell ya people??? WHAT DID I TELL YA???

I DREADED THIS WOULD HAPPEN AND IT'S HAPPENING!

I would say it's unbelievable but these are the JETS so it's not.

Cohen is going to take over and it's going to be more of the same bullsh-t again and again and again with Tanny Part 2.

What was the point of Woody hiring that firm again?

Jets Insider VIP
    Ross really isn't a bad fallback option

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Maybe not., but I think Woody knew the fans were/are, PO'd and if their new choice failed, Woody could say it was the consulting firms top choice & he just went along with it.
    And who's going to buy that?

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    No, b/c these are all just rumors. And like I said earlier none of us know anything about how these candidates will ultimately be as GM's. You could have the dumbest football man ever be your GM but if you hit on a QB, even accidentally like the Pats did, you and your coach look like f*cking geniuses. I think it's too soon to sit here and criticize the Jets about something that hasn't happened yet. Thus the whining.
    What is this accidentally hit on Brady? How do you pick a player by accident?
    Was Brady better than thought of at that time, yes. But he did not come into the league with Manning's skill set, You don't think the patriots coaching staff had a lot to do with his development? He got better every year until his 4th year in the league when he began to be considered with Farve, Warner and Manning. He may well have floundered under 75% of the coaching staffs in the league. You make it sound like the pats turned over a rock and manning popped out. He worked with BB, Rehbien, and Weis constantly to get better, when he was the 4th string qb. The pats recognized that talent and worked with it to develop him.

An accident is having the worst record in the league the year a luck or manning Comes out.
    Last edited by patman; 01-08-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Jets make the Islanders look like the Packers' organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    He's been high on my list. Not that it matters.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is just as I thought. None of the real GM candidates want to come to this team with Rex a part of the deal.

Cohen was going to be our GM from the get-go as he's someone who wouldn't be a GM unless he takes our job so he would accept Rex.

This team is a friggin joke..Always been, always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    This is just as I thought. None of the real GM candidates want to come to this team with Rex a part of the deal.

Cohen was going to be our GM from the get-go as he's someone who wouldn't be a GM unless he takes our job.

This team is a friggin joke..Always been, always will be.
    Then why haven't they hired him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Then why haven't they hired him.
    He was going to be our GM from the get-go by default is what I meant to say. Jets want the top candidates but they wont agree to keep Rex..If you are a top guy you don't come to a team that straps you with coaches. Cohen will be our GM by default and it was easy to see this coming.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 01-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Ross is not going to come in here and work with Rex. I find it hard to believe anyone from the Giants organization who doesn't detest the Jets and Rex is front and center of this.

I had hoped for Ross because I knew it would guarantee the circus ended and we would have a disciplined coach going forward.

And since Rex is part of the decision making process in the GM search, why wasn't he in on the Gamble, Dorsey, or Caldwell interviews. I can tell you why, they were never going to be considered.

Woody is a moron. And he is confident that his fan base is as well. The way he looks at it, if the idiot fans will go watch Vick in Philly, the fans will continue to come out and hear Rex and his inarticulate press conferences where he seems to get a fresh start after every disaster.

Question for the board, how many years was the victory in New England two years ago worth? So far it's at least three.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Cohen has never had final say on the Jets personnel since he's been here. So the lack of talent on this team falls on Tanny. And the reason nobody has interviewed him is simple, he's a part of a 6-10 organization with a lack of talent and depth. It's not his fault but the perception is what it is.
    Mr. Cohen it is nice to see you post on JI. Maybe it will not be so bad to have you as GM if you are willing to listen to posters on JI

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Did anyone consider the possibility that maybe...

just maybe...

Woody will hire the guy they feel is the best candidate. And if we are really lucky, maybe...

just maybe...

he will make the right choice?

It is a possibility you know... however remote. Just saying.
    Woody wanted Tim Tebow.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Ok, see if you can follow this.

Rex is going to lean on the new GM for input.

Translation: Rex, the HC, higher on the totem pole then the GM. Just like Seattle and recently in Philly. Problem is that Reid and Carroll have proven they can last in this league and are known more for their coaching than their you tube videos and tattoos.

Next, Woody said that the new GM will have to work well with Rex and that Rex will have input into the decision.

Translation: if this is true, Rex was not part of any of the interviews with Gamble, Caldwell, Dorsey. Remember, he was in the Bahamas. Not sure if he was privy to the interview with Ross, but I think I am pretty confident nobody from the Giants organization thinks highly of Rex. This means Cohen will be the choice.

Now why this won't work:

Rex is not getting extended during this season. So he is desperate to win in 2013 when even the most optimistic fan recognizes the challenges of this. Even cutting Pace, Scott, J. smith, E. Smith, it doesn't give us enough cap space (even at vet minimum) to resign or replace those mentioned above and Greene, Slauson, Moore, Keller, Edwards, DeVito, Thomas, Bell, and Landry. We only have 7 draft picks. We do have a replacement for Scott but no one else has a player ready to step up.

We also have Howard and Cumberland that are restricted free agents.

This hasn't even addressed the QB position.

What we are going to see is a desperate coach making desperate moves and a GM powerless to stop him.

This is going to set us back a hell of a lot worse than anything Tanny did.

Something else to consider :

Let's say Rex is canned(finally).....SCOTT FRIGGIN' COHEN WOULD *STILL* BE THE GM!!!

So basically we can NEVER completely escape from this sh-t circus......
    Last edited by Vin; 01-08-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The Jets make the Islanders look like the Packers' organization.
    Enough to make you become a Giants fan. Yes, we got it.