Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dennis Thurman New D coordinator

Great Move ... This guy totally deserves this promotion ... Awesome coach that has produced a top secondary for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And this is why Pettine is gone.

Rex was always the "blitz first, second and always" guy.

Pettine wasn't.

As Pettine gradually got more control, the jets D gradullay moved away from Blitzing as a primary tactic.

May or may not be the right decision, but I can see the reasoning here.
    Right, that's why Pettine left, not to step out of Rex's shadow on his own to ascend to become a HC.

Thurman definitely deserves a shot, he has done a heck of a job with the secondary! It will be interesting to see if anything changes. Obviously we need younger, faster LB's if we plan to attack.

Who is going to be the new Secondary Coach?

Also, does anyone SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that Rex would let Thurman completely run the Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Who is going to be the new Secondary Coach?

Also, does anyone SERIOUSLY BELIEVE that Rex would let Thurman completely run the Defense?
    No. And I don't want him to. You realize defense was not our problem last year

Dont believe it.

Rob Ryan will be the next Defensive Coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    No. And I don't want him to. You realize defense was not our problem last year
    3rd down Defense was, though. Not to mention our knack for giving up the big play. But, yea, it wasn't the biggest issue.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    3rd down Defense was, though. Not to mention our knack for giving up the big play. But, yea, it wasn't the biggest issue.
    I think our biggest problem on defense was our old & slow LB's. We need to upgrade that unit badly.

You could thank mangini for getting rid of Jon "too small to play linebacker" Vilma for next to nothing......

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Lost in this shuffle is the fact that Karl Dunbar is still here.....great coach, who has an excellent track record in his career.

Wilkerson clearly thrived this season, hopefully he does the same for coples.
    That is good news to my ears.

All League
    Question to those backing the promotion; since they are now sharing the calling duties would this move have as much support if Rex were no longer here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Good move. He's been under Rex long enough now to help run Rex's scheme.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    You could thank mangini for getting rid of Jon "too small to play linebacker" Vilma for next to nothing......
    He was and still is too small to play LB on a 3-4 system and more of a 4-3 LB system

Jets Insider VIP
    There's no question that we'll have a damn good defense next year. That's always going to be the case with Rex around.

Thurman is definitely an excellent choice for DC and the promotion is no surprise at all after the news of Pettine leaving came out.

It's just a matter of bringing in an established offensive mind as OC. Norv Turner would be ideal but I wouldn't mind someone like Hue Jackson, or..dare I say it...Cam Cameron.

I'm not buying this Cohen as GM bullsh*t either.

With Caldwell going to Jacksonville, we'll end up with Gamble or Ross.