Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jaguars Hire Jaguars

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Translation: Gamble would want to clean house but Woody isn't finished playing house with Wrecks the do over king
    so caldwell wanted jax all along, had his HC picked and used the jets as leverage. well played. no knock on the nyj here. he identified his goal and achieved it. the jets weren't in the running here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    so one source says no offer and one says he may have a choice...so of course that means he had an offer.
    One source didn't say there was no offer (unless you're a source). Anyhow I don't know what point you're trying to score with Caldwell supposedly not turning down a job offer here. So it never got to an offer, he 'pulled out' before they made an offer? Somehow that reflects better on the organization? Or better still, Woody wasted $200k conducting a GM search but settles on an internal candidate? Yeah, that reflects very well on the organization. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    One source didn't say there was no offer (unless you're a source). Anyhow I don't know what point you're trying to score with Caldwell supposedly not turning down a job offer here. So it never got to an offer, he 'pulled out' before they made an offer? Somehow that reflects better on the organization? Or better still, Woody wasted $200k conducting a GM search but settles on an internal candidate? Yeah, that reflects very well on the organization. SMH
    I asked where its been reported Caldwell was made an offer, like you said. No place has it been reported he was other than "maybe".

And Yes I've been doing nothing but defending this organization lately. SMH

Lets just agree to disagree. SMH.

@BrianAyrault: Congrats to client Dave Caldwell on reaching an agreement in principle with Jacksonville to become their next General Manager.

Well, I guess we are getting an internal hire. Just when I started to have hope for this organization.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There is nothing nuts about this...

Clearly he wanted the Jets job because he wouldn't have gone for a 2nd interview. They must have decided that they didn't want him.
    I can't grasp the idea that someone thought the Jaguars job was better than the Jets job. They're in a lousy, small, college football-centric market, have no talent on either side of the ball, and have trouble selling out games even when they're good. But it looks like he picked them over us.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the owner is standing by Rex as HC. A reasonable person would have to think this played a part in the decision.

And if the Jets end up hiring Tannenbaum's understudy, I'll know for sure that no legitimate candidate wanted anything to do with this job because of Woody and Rex.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-09-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

To make matters worse, Caldwell took less money to go to the Jags. Jets offered him a contract and he took less to go to a 2-14 team.

Says alot and it also confirms what many of us believed from the get-go. No real or up and coming GM is coming to this team with Woody's love affair for Rex.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I can't grasp the idea that someone thought the Jaguars job was better than the Jets job. They're in a lousy, small, college football-centric market, have no talent on either side of the ball, and have trouble selling out games even when they're good. But it looks like he picked them over us.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the owner is standing by Rex as HC. A reasonable person would have to think this played a part in the decision.

And if the Jets end up hiring Tannenbaum's understudy, I'll know for sure that no legitimate candidate wanted anything to do with this job because of Woody and Rex.
    It could be more of a Woody issue. It's rather obvious he has been a hands on owner with some of their acquisitions (Tebow). Rex may not have been a deal breaker it did not help that the GM didn't have a choice about who the HC would be. His decision making was already compromised before he started.

There will be a smaller spotlight in Jacksonville, that combined with Caldwell's reported interference free reign likely made it more attractive.

This just in: Caldwell and Gamble are NOT the only qualified candidates for a GM position this year!

No need to panic now. please do not panic. there are viable candidates out there. we realize that, don't we?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    This just in: Caldwell and Gamble are NOT the only qualified candidates for a GM position this year!

No need to panic now. please do not panic. there are viable candidates out there. we realize that, don't we?
    We first talked to Polian. He wasn't interested. Fine, maybe he's not coming back to Football. Or maybe he would if it were they right situation.

We then get close to Gamble. He basically wants to see what else is out there. We are looking like one of his last choices, who knows, maybe he comes..Not looking good.

We then offer a contract to Caldwell. He was our next choice.. He took less money to go to a 2-14 crappy Jags team.

Are their other qualified GM's out there? Sure! I'm sure there are. But the Jets always have to settle. We have done that for years with all our coaches and front office guys. We never get our first choice.. Most times we don't even get our 3rd or 4th choices.

Spin this anyway you like. Cohen is most likely our next GM and will get it by default because no real guy is coming to this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    We first talked to Polian. He wasn't interested. Fine, maybe he's not coming back to Football. Or maybe he would if it were they right situation.

We then get close to Gamble. He basically wants to see what else is out there. We are looking like one of his last choices, who knows, maybe he comes..Not looking good.

We then offer a contract to Caldwell. He was our next choice.. He took less money to go to a 2-14 crappy Jags team.

Are their other qualified GM's out there? Sure! I'm sure there are. But the Jets always have to settle. We have done that for years with all our coaches and front office guys. We never get our first choice.. Most times we don't even get our 3rd or 4th choices.

Spin this anyway you like. Cohen is most likely our next GM and will get it by default because no real guy is coming to this mess.
    I'm not trying to spin it. I'm just saying there are qualified people out there. Just need to go out there and find them. Every year the "hot" names come up in coaching/FO and everyone is infatuated with them. So many times, under the radar guys get overlooked who will be just as good. Like I said, you just need to dig in and look.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post

OK. So let's review. Rex is going to part of the decision making process. Woody hires a firm that recommends Gamble, Caldwell, and Ross. We interview Gamble and Caldwell while Rex was in the Bahamas.

We interview Ross knowing that no Giant employee would ever work with Rex. Now we interview Cohen.

So four down, and the internal guy that is part of the culture problem with the Jets is the favorite.

Now I ask you, do the Jets have ANY of interviews set up?

Quoting Woody yesterday, "we need to move quickly on this hire."

Translation: Jet fans are ******. Woody has the type of team he wants, a circus. Rex is the perfect circus ring leader coach.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    yep..And it sounds like Mularkey, reportedly close to Caldwell, is on his way out in Jax too..

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Jags very likely to announce they are parting way with coach Mike Mularkey this week, with the GM search over.
    This team gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    OK. So let's review. Rex is going to part of the decision making process. Woody hires a firm that recommends Gamble, Caldwell, and Ross. We interview Gamble and Caldwell while Rex was in the Bahamas.

We interview Ross knowing that no Giant employee would ever work with Rex. Now we interview Cohen.

So four down, and the internal guy that is part of the culture problem with the Jets is the favorite.

Now I ask you, do the Jets have ANY of interviews set up?

Quoting Woody yesterday, "we need to move quickly on this hire."

Translation: Jet fans are ******. Woody has the type of team he wants, a circus. Rex is the perfect circus ring leader coach.
    Enough of this. If woody wanted a circus, Sparano would still be here, Tebow (who is definitely gone) would still be here, etc., etc., etc. Woody knows he made mistakes, and he is trying to fix them. Albeit, a little late, but he is trying. Look, I am not a huge fan of Woody. But I can see when people are trying to turn things around.

I think the search firm was a dumb idea. They came up with the candidates everyone has been talking about. They need to dig deeper.

As for the Giants comment, how do you know that? That is pure speculation on your part, right? No fact to back it up.

How do we know the Jets don't have any interviews set up? Because they aren't on twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This team gets it.
    Didn't you say you we're jumping in the threshing machine?

Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    We hired a firm to help find a GM and we end up hiring the dumbass down the hall. This team is so pathetic.
    I don't know anything about Cohens capabilities.His feelings on what needs to be done with the personal,and his beliefs on the moves made the last three years by Tanny.Nobody else on this forum does either. So if it is Cohen,[and we don't know it is],lets wait and see what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by kleckoman View Post
    Didn't you say you we're jumping in the threshing machine?
    Once they name Cohen. Keep up or concentrate on improving your reading comprehension.

Jaguars get it??????????????????????

This team gets it.
    Whats been there track record regarding wins and losses. If they got it, they wouldn't be so hard up for Tebow,i tell you that

Once they name Cohen. Keep up or concentrate on improving your reading comprehension.
    LOL . My bad , I'm finding reading tougher in my current depressed state after that presser yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Whats been there track record regarding wins and losses. If they got it, they wouldn't be so hard up for Tebow,i tell you that
    Good Lord. I'm not talking out their historical record of accomplishments and failure.

My comment was specifically related to the Jags' hiring a GM, then getting rid of their current HC. This is something I wish we had done.

Clear?

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Agree. Jags haven't gotten it in a while.