Thread: Cimini: 5 reasons to TAKE the Jets job

No, no, no ... we must all act as if this team just went 0-16.

Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    No, no, no ... we must all act as if this team just went 0-16.
    Do you honestly believe that this season was materially better than 0-16? All the benefits of 0-16 without the first pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow. You know things are bad when even Cimini doesn't want to take a shot at you.

6. You can suck at your job for a really long time before your boss will do anything about it.

All Pro
    Is one of the reasons the opportunity to be constant fodder for media-piranhas who will damn you if you do and damn you if you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    Do you honestly believe that this season was materially better than 0-16? All the benefits of 0-16 without the first pick.
    Look, I've been a Jets fan since the early-70's ... I've seen awful. This team isn't awful. Is there a lot of work to be done? Absolutely. But there's some talent on the team and I'm not gonna act like they're the Jaguars ... or the Chiefs ... or the Raiders ... or any number of teams.
    Becoming GM of the Jets is a job many, many well-qualified NFL people would jump at the chance to have. So beat up on the Jets all you want -- as fans, we're certainly entitled. But this team wasn't 0-16 because they were good enough to win 6 games. That's not good, but it ain't 0-16 awful, either.

much as 6-10 really stinks considering the poor qb/oline play and the raft of injuries and it's amazing the team won even 6. the downside, for all those who want the team to tank next season is that there are still players who want to play and they will be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    Look, I've been a Jets fan since the early-70's ... I've seen awful. This team isn't awful. Is there a lot of work to be done? Absolutely. But there's some talent on the team and I'm not gonna act like they're the Jaguars ... or the Chiefs ... or the Raiders ... or any number of teams.
    Becoming GM of the Jets is a job many, many well-qualified NFL people would jump at the chance to have. So beat up on the Jets all you want -- as fans, we're certainly entitled. But this team wasn't 0-16 because they were good enough to win 6 games. That's not good, but it ain't 0-16 awful, either.

The issue is the window of opportunity closed. Yes there was talent. Yes they went with the win now attitude. These choices came with some harsh results, instead of a Super Bowl win, we have the 2012 Jets. They over paid for players to go for it(Revis, Harris,Scott,Thomas Pace,Paouha,Sanchez, D'brick,Mangold.) They over paid to keep their best players and now most of these are under performing. The new Gm has a long road ahead and hard choices to make. Rebuilding is going to take years, many of these over paid, under achieving player will have to go.

The new Gm will have to stop doing what all Jets GM's have done in the past. Stop trying to patch a team to win with what's on the roster now, and truly rebuild. Make the moves that will piss off the fans.

As a fan I am so done with this middle of the road BULLS!T!!! Build a team that will take it to the next level. A team that will compete and win against any top tier team year in and out. This is why Rex will be gone after one more season. Rex can't see two to three steps ahead, he has no vision. He only understands the now. I can only hope the Revis injury has changed that. His D was better with out Revis. It's truly going to be an interesting off season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Is one of the reasons the opportunity to be constant fodder for media-piranhas who will damn you if you do and damn you if you don't?
    Ha ha, well played.
    And why is Cimini playing nice all of a sudden? Wtf

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Even more of a joke then I thought. Caldwell took less money to go to the 2-14 Jags.

Banned
    The biggest mistake this team made was going crazy in free agency. Tanny's first two years were all about establishing a solid core via the draft. When he took over the roster was in way worse shape than it even is now. He nailed the 2006 and 2007 drafts. Then all of a sudden he went nuts in free agency. When you do that you only have a small window of opportunity to win before having to pay the piper. That window was 2008-2010.

Now we're paying for it.

It also doesn't help when you draft a QB in the first round and he's a huge bust. If Sanchez would have panned out, this atonement period wouldn't hurt so much.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    The biggest mistake this team made was going crazy in free agency. Tanny's first two years were all about establishing a solid core via the draft. When he took over the roster was in way worse shape than it even is now. He nailed the 2006 and 2007 drafts. Then all of a sudden he went nuts in free agency. When you do that you only have a small window of opportunity to win before having to pay the piper. That window was 2008-2010.

Now we're paying for it.

It also doesn't help when you draft a QB in the first round and he's a huge bust. If Sanchez would have panned out, this atonement period wouldn't hurt so much.
    It would've also helped if his two biggest FA signing were good players. Pace and Scott were hot garbage. We paid each guy at the top of their position and we got average to below average results.

Wow....that was a weak effort. I crap more knowledge than that

So the Jets are appealing to their media buddies to try and sell the job?

On a different note, did anyone else find it telling that Woody didn't say anything at all regarding straightening up the "circus act" during the press conference and rather avoided addressing the topic directly as if he didn't have a problem at all with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Wow....that was a weak effort. I crap more knowledge than that
    HE forgot the two most important factors: An owner who has demonstrated that he 1) is willing to spend money; and 2) has the patience to give a guy 5 years to prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post

On a different note, did anyone else find it telling that Woody didn't say anything at all regarding straightening up the "circus act" during the press conference and rather avoided addressing the topic directly as if he didn't have a problem at all with it?
    IMO, Woody wants the Jets to have an "image". Image = increased profile. And a "circus" image is fine so long as they win. He tried to be all business and serious like the Pats and it didn't work. So now he's trying to be like Madden's Raiders. All they need now is the talent of Madden's Raiders.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    T Rebuilding is going to take years, many of these over paid, under achieving player will have to go.

The new Gm will have to stop doing what all Jets GM's have done in the past. Stop trying to patch a team to win with what's on the roster now, and truly rebuild. Make the moves that will piss off the fans.
    It is NOT going to take years, unless you mean one year. After the 2013 season, the Jets, once Scott is cut this year, and the Jets do something with Sanchez, will be almost $40 million UNDER the cap. They can also save some huge money by trading/releasing Holmes, Cromartie has a $5m roster bonus in '14, Harris could be renegotiated, Pouha, Revis.

This team by 2015 will be completely redone. The Jets took a shot at the fence and missed. Oh well. We got to within a game of the Super Bowl two years in a row. Now its time to pay for that. This is how it works.
    It's not the teams fault that so many people drank Rex' kool-aid. What is he suppose to do? Come out and say "Yeah, we took a shot at winning with the great team we had, but missed. So now, we are going to suck for a couple of years while we rebuild. But hang in there!" No....he tried to talk up the team as best he could to make them believe in themselves.
    We have another great core of young players on this team (Hill, Kerley, Cumberland, Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis) with some solid veteran leadership (Cromartie, Mangold, Ferguson). If the Jets have another two solid drafts where they come away with starters AND depth, and have a free agency year where they have $30 + million to spend, this team will be solid once again.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post

from things I've read the general consensus is that the "circus act" was primarily a media creation that stuck. So for him to answer if he's going to fix what the media created (in his mind) is comical. I thought his smirk was a perfect answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wow. You know things are bad when even Cimini doesn't want to take a shot at you.
    I don't really get the hate for Cimini. He's usually pretty objective. He's not a fan, but he also doesn't go out of his way to take cheapshots like other beat writers. He's written plenty of positive articles about the team. He's hated around here because some of the homers can't handle objective takes on the team and anything that isn't reeking of "green koolaid" makes the person a worthless hack hating on the team.