Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: John Idzik - Seattle Seahawks VP Football Administration

  1. #1

    John Idzik - Seattle Seahawks VP Football Administration

    Anyone think John Idzik could be an under the radar guy for GM?

    Has a family history with the Jets, his father worked within the organization.

    He currently is in charge of player negotiations, salary cap, player personnel transactions for the Seahawks, a team I'm sure the Jets would love to imitate. Also it is a similar role Tannenbaum was in before he became the GM.

    As well, he has previously worked in most aspects of an NFL teams front office, including help building the NFC champion Cardinals and Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers.

    Finally, we know Korn-Ferry helped the Seahawks in their search and hiring of John Schneider for GM so there is a built in network there.

    Connecting all the dots, I think he could be a strong candidate that no one is talking about just yet.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,135
    Quote Originally Posted by sodalime View Post
    Anyone think John Idzik could be an under the radar guy for GM?

    Has a family history with the Jets, his father worked within the organization.

    He currently is in charge of player negotiations, salary cap, player personnel transactions for the Seahawks, a team I'm sure the Jets would love to imitate. Also it is a similar role Tannenbaum was in before he became the GM.

    As well, he has previously worked in most aspects of an NFL teams front office, including help building the NFC champion Cardinals and Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers.

    Finally, we know Korn-Ferry helped the Seahawks in their search and hiring of John Schneider for GM so there is a built in network there.

    Connecting all the dots, I think he could be a strong candidate that no one is talking about just yet.

    Thoughts?
    His father has a Jet history and he is Tanny like but isn't nfl player/scouting knowledgable that I think Woody is looking for ? But who knows ?

  3. #3
    I hope he isn't. Why would we want Son of Tannenbaum?

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    That ship has sailed. Woody is all in on a Rex/Cohen marriage.

    Welcome to the sh!t show.

  5. #5
    I am afraid you might be right. I sense that none of the quality GM's out there want to join the circus.

  6. #6
    @JasonLaCanfora: The Jets expanded GM search will continue this week with Steelers exec Omar Khan Thurs and John Idzik (SEA) on Friday. Both are excellent

    Good call, sodalime!

    Perhaps a Mod could edit title to "being interviewed"
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora: The Jets expanded GM search will continue this week with Steelers exec Omar Khan Thurs and John Idzik (SEA) on Friday. Both are excellent

    Good call, Sodalime!
    I'll take Idzik

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,991
    Everyone with knowledge of the salary cap isn't Tannenbaum 2. He spent years in pro personnel scouting with the Bucs and Cards, making a Super Bowl with both. Quit being dumb.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Can we assume Idzik could eventually bring in Bevall or Gus Bradley to replace Rex?

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,581
    I hope we go with a football personnel guy more than a cap guy. If we go with a cap guy, we really haven't changed much - he's still going to have to listen to Rex and probably even Woody. And it's not like Tannenbaum's primary sin was the cap. You'd have to have a real strong reason to believe that this guy is a great personnel guy whose talents are being underutilized.

    I cringe as I say this, but we need a Parcells, a guy we can trust will do what he thinks it's best to turn the team around, regardless of Woody and/or Rex, if he'd even keep Rex on.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Everyone with knowledge of the salary cap isn't Tannenbaum 2. He spent years in pro personnel scouting with the Bucs and Cards, making a Super Bowl with both. Quit being dumb.
    Nevermind, what does it matter what his background is if he can fill out a front office staff with guys who compliment his abilities well? The staff the candidate can bring is almost as important as the candidate themselves.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Nevermind, what does it matter what his background is if he can fill out a front office staff with guys who compliment his abilities well? The staff the candidate can bring is almost as important as the candidate themselves.
    I agree. That's why I'd be thrilled with Omar Khan.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,316
    I heard on the radio that Idzik will be interviewed tomorrow.

  14. #14
    Jets need a Cap guy and a Personel guy.

  15. #15
    Cool, he was my personal choice before the process started.

  16. #16
    Idzik coached for a time... He knows what evaluating players is. He was also an assistant GM.

    He is pretty well rounded and Seattle also handled the Qb position as well as anyone could. Just kept swinging away at the pinata hoping one would stick. Finally, Wilson did.

    I don't like their choice of coach in Carroll, but I'm hoping that was just a mistake.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Idzik coached for a time... He knows what evaluating players is. He was also an assistant GM.

    He is pretty well rounded and Seattle also handled the Qb position as well as anyone could. Just kept swinging away at the pinata hoping one would stick. Finally, Wilson did.

    I don't like their choice of coach in Carroll, but I'm hoping that was just a mistake.
    He is..


    John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

    Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

    Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

    A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

    Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

    http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/J...0-c4b074b07c45

  18. #18
    I would be content with him as gm. He seems to have experience in almost every capacity possible and has found success whenever he has landed.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    If he is the new GM, would we have a better chance of trading for Flynn?

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,283
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He is..

    John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

    Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

    Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

    A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

    Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

    http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/J...0-c4b074b07c45
    That's it...I'm sold!

    Didn't know Idzik had a Scottish link. He's my guy.

    Actually, kidding aside, this guy could be a serious candidate. Strong on the management and cap side, but also with considerable experience in the scouting and personnel side of things with the Bucs and Cards, he has a good blend of skills and experience. Comes from a football family, and so has been around the game his whole life.

    I expect that Popp may be a step too far for the Jets, and it may well come down to Idzik versus Gaine as the two most well-rounded candidates.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us