Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Juicing Corner

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I felt great no weight loss benefit for me though as it is very high in carbs and carbs are not my friend lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Not exactly a rave.

I'm always looking for the magic bulletin vitamin or supplement..been taking many at different times over the years and after a while you start to wonder if any of it is doing something positive health wise.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Get into as many greens as you can find, JW. Consuming them is one of the reasons I've maintained health all these years.

I had a juicer back in the 80s, when I embarked on a health regimen. I don't do it any longer, as i realized that you need the fibrous part of the vegetable/fruits in order to maximize the health benefit. Juicing is fine, but eating the fruit/vegetable is better for you.

Think of it this way: Say you juiced five apples and drank the liquid. You now get most of all the sugar five apples contain without most of the fiber. No way you'd ever eat five apples at once. This is one of the reasons nutritionists don't recommend giving kids so much juice, as it contributes greatly to weight gain. It's even worse for adults.

Again, enjoy juicing. But do it in moderation.
    Agreed

The juicer I have recommends using the leftover pulp for baking purposes to get the fiber benefit... a bit more ambitious a plan than I had lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Not exactly a rave.

I'm always looking for the magic bulletin vitamin or supplement..been taking many at different times over the years and after a while you start to wonder if any of it is doing something positive health wise.

-
    It does not exist. Closest I've found is organic flax seed oil with lignan. Amongst a few other supplements, I take a tablespoon of Barlean's flax seed oil daily
    (more phytonutrients with the liquid rather than in pill form). I have been recommending it to family and friends for years.

Go do the research of the benefits of flax seed oil. You'll be impressed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry....thought this was a thread about today's Hall of Fame vote.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Agreed

The juicer I have recommends using the leftover pulp for baking purposes to get the fiber benefit... a bit more ambitious a plan than I had lol

LOL. Right. Like kale/beet muffins are all the rage.

Talking about juicing reminded me of the cleanup involved. I'm sure the machines are better now than in the 80s, when cleanup was a huge hassle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    LOL. Well done, muchacho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe I get called ghey by you guys.

Juice..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get into as many greens as you can find, JW. Consuming them is one of the reasons I've maintained health all these years.

I had a juicer back in the 80s, when I embarked on a health regimen. I don't do it any longer, as i realized that you need the fibrous part of the vegetable/fruits in order to maximize the health benefit. Juicing is fine, but eating the fruit/vegetable is better for you.

Think of it this way: Say you juiced five apples and drank the liquid. You now get most of all the sugar five apples contain without most of the fiber. No way you'd ever eat five apples at once. This is one of the reasons nutritionists don't recommend giving kids so much juice, as it contributes greatly to weight gain. It's even worse for adults.

Again, enjoy juicing. But do it in moderation.

I would do more as a way to trick them into getting more vegetables without their knowledge.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I would do more as a way to trick them into getting more vegetables without their knowledge.
    As long as it's done in moderation, I don't see a problem. But don't give up on introducing kids to real vegetables.

My son has been eating a variety vegetables since he was a toddler. Mainly because I prepare them well and serve them at every meal. Most folks blow it by over-cooking/under-seasoning vegetables. That's easily corrected.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Well done, muchacho.
    Thanks, Borgo. Thought we could all use some humour after yesterday's horor show. Kept hoping I would wake up this morning and it would be like last episode of Newhart......it was all a dream. As Jet fans, never such luck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Winning lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Borgo. Thought we could all use some humour after yesterday's horor show. Kept hoping I would wake up this morning and it would be like last episode of Newhart......it was all a dream. As Jet fans, never such luck.
    Newhart reference, huh? Waking up to a young-ish Suzanne Pleshette would definitely be fun. As for the Jets, we continue to be a joke.

That ending is one of my favorite moments in sitcom history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    4 large apples, 3 large carrots, half a lemon. Pour through a strainer to get rid of the foam (which is kinda funky). Pour over ice. Tastes awesome, my kids love it.
    Watch out for too many fruits. Too much sugar with none of the fiber for absorption. I usually do tons of leafy greens and one apple to make it palatable.

Having said that, I don't juice a ton. Expensive and clean up is a pain. But, I don't eat enough vegetables, and figure if I juice every now and then the concentrated macronutrients will do me some good. Then I eat at burger king and drink lots of beer.

"fat, sick and almost dead" or something like that is the movie that got me started. I think it's on Netflix. Worth a watch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newhart reference, huh? Waking up to a young-ish Suzanne Pleshette would definitely be fun. As for the Jets, we continue to be a joke.

That ending is one of my favorite moments in sitcom history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk
    Wow! Was gonna put that in the post, buy was affraid wife might see it. She was truly hot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Was gonna put that in the post, buy was affraid wife might see it. She was truly hot.
    Newhart had it made with his choice of screen wives. Pleshette and Mary Frann, who was also a complete babe.

Even with the awful hair style from that era, check the face and body on Pleshette. What a knock out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the awful hair style from that era, check the face and body on Pleshette. What a knock out.

Only problem was, she ended up with a voice like Claude Akins.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    It does not exist. Closest I've found is organic flax seed oil with lignan. Amongst a few other supplements, I take a tablespoon of Barlean's flax seed oil daily
    (more phytonutrients with the liquid rather than in pill form). I have been recommending it to family and friends for years.

Go do the research of the benefits of flax seed oil. You'll be impressed.
    Will def. look into it; Where do you buy your stuff? On-line? GNC? Health food store?

I think I've read some good things about Fish oil too, but l made the mistake of buying too much, so I end up wasting money when I throw it out. It doesnt keep.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Will def. look into it; Where do you buy your stuff? On-line? GNC? Health food store?

I think I've read some good things about Fish oil too, but l made the mistake of buying too much, so I end up wasting money when I throw it out. It doesnt keep.

-
    Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega

I take one a day

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only problem was, she ended up with a voice like Claude Akins.

-
    This is true. (Think she ever smoked? ) However, not a deal breaker for me.

-
    I buy all my supplements online through Swanson Vitamins. Their quality and prices are great. Even with shipping, I save a fortune. Right now, they are offering free shipping on orders over $50.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/?Sour...FUbf4AoddhcAKw

I've tried every major brand of flax seed oil and all taste awful except for Barlean's. They produces the best quality anyway, so its a win/win. To me, it tastes like walnut oil. I take one tablespoon daily of their Highest Lignan product.

As for fish oil, I take krill oil. It's a smaller soft gel, and packs a bigger wallop. After researching it, I settled on Olympian Labs' Krill Oil. You can get this via Swanson as well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I got a Juicer for Christmas, per request , and am intrigued by the health benefits as well as the accessibility to be on the go. Liquids are our friends! I know Juicing has been seen as trendy by some and there are Juice Bars in the city and such, but I like to do it myself and for many different reasons. I was a big smoothie guy but wanted to involve more vegetables without having all of that fiber.

I'm interested to know if anyone here Juices, or has any information, tips, or recipes they can share.

Juice on.

If you are going to be juicing next time we golf, I'm not giving you any strokes.