Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honestly - why would you bring in a new coach for 2013?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    But you are also underestimating Rex Ryan's ability to plug the potential holes while still remaining a top ten defense. In Rex's 4 years the team has made extensive changes along the defensive line and in the secindary. Yet, they have always been a top ten defense. It's not a stretch to think the defense could easily be top 5 or number 1 if they get the right players in place and do not have to retool every season.
    LB is a concern, but given how poorly Pace and BT played and how ineffective Scott was in passing situations, plugging in Mcintyre, Davis and rookies/FA this position is really addition by subtraction.

Safety is a whole different ball of wax. If they lose Landry , they better hope they draft a suitable replacement or pick one up in FA because I don't think Bush or Allen are ready to step in just yet.. Cro played great last year but Landry and Bell solidified the DB unit last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What sheer and utter nonsense. The team has been bad the last two years and Rex's has what 6 wins in the teams last 19 games or so. People keep acting as if he did not hire the oc did not stick with a qb who was totally faulty, was not on board with the tebow move, didn'thave a say in the scrub players that stayed here last year. He's the head coach, he had a huge say in the makeup of the team and it has been lousy for a a full year and half.
    Not nonsense at all Beer. Did he have control over how Tannanbaum signed those guys to back loaded contracts. NOBODY has any idea how much he was involved (if any) with the Tebow signing. I would say little for if he was, Tebow would have played. He stuck with Sanchez because Sanchez WAS the best option, like it or not.

It will be the same thing when Cowher comes in. People will want him fired within a year as well.......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think head coaches would not be scared of the situation if a GM was in place that they respected.

Assistant coaches unless they are of the Norv Turner / Wade Phillips type very seldom get long term deals as new hires.

The New HC would need to make an honest appraisal of the team, "We may be only able to keep 10 starters from last year, this is a rebuilding process" Luckily for the jets, due to the PSLs they have a captive audience. if he says anything but that he will be crucified 1 year from now if the jets don't get to 8-8.

A repudiation of what has occurred over the last 4 years must be made publicly, "We will operate within the confines of the cap" "Team will be built by the drafting of young cheap talent" "We will let our play on the field do our talking" "there will be an open competition at qb, previous performance under a previous system will have no bearing on the outcome"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Not nonsense at all Beer. Did he have control over how Tannanbaum signed those guys to back loaded contracts. NOBODY has any idea how much he was involved (if any) with the Tebow signing. I would say little for if he was, Tebow would have played. He stuck with Sanchez because Sanchez WAS the best option, like it or not.

It will be the same thing when Cowher comes in. People will want him fired within a year as well.......
    What? you don't think Tanny said to Rex "we can get that deal done but it requires X, Y and Z? The HC lets the GM know what he needs neither of them operate in a vacuum. Tanny was weak for not telling Rex No, he cant keep Mangold, Revis, DBrick, Harris and Pace if he want to Add 3 more 10 mill a year players like Homes, Cro and Scott. It is like Husband/Wife that think they can afford something because they have not maxed out their credit card yet. You don't think a HC is as cap savvy as 1/2 the posters on this site?

To think that Rex worked under a "see no evil" approach is mistaken.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    They're definitely going to have to play hard ball with many starters. But they can also renegotiate contracts that pay the very same amount, just different alotted amounts for each and every cap year.

Also, I remembered as a normal practice, Mike Tannenbaum always tried to get the largest amounts of new contracts up front so in later years the cap hit was rather small in comparison. I'd like to see how many contracts that is the case with.

I also think a lot of players would be willing to renegotiate or actually take a pay cut just to stick with the team. Call me crazy, but I think that will be the case with a lot of players. I think the players realize there's a lot of talent on the team and they could still potentially win a championship before they retire if they are willing to make some amends.
    But that's just it. Restructuring contracts to move money into the future to clear up cap space for 2013 is exactly what a smart GM will not do under any circumstances - because there is no conceivable way this team competes for a title with the hot garbage it will have under center. I'm ok with deciding to mortgage the future for a real shot at a ring - that's not always the right decision, but at least it's a reasonable one. But mortgaging the future to land talent for a team that will be mediocre at best is flat out idiotic. Jets need to take their medicine, clear as many bad contracts as they can, and gear up to make a run in 2014-2016. That means drafting well, not signing big FAs, letting mid-level players who want big $ (Keller, Greene) walk out the door, and living with a horrific record in 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think head coaches would not be scared of the situation if a GM was in place that they respected.

Assistant coaches unless they are of the Norv Turner / Wade Phillips type very seldom get long term deals as new hires.

The New HC would need to make an honest appraisal of the team, "We may be only able to keep 10 starters from last year, this is a rebuilding process" Luckily for the jets, due to the PSLs they have a captive audience. if he says anything but that he will be crucified 1 year from now if the jets don't get to 8-8.

A repudiation of what has occurred over the last 4 years must be made publicly, "We will operate within the confines of the cap" "Team will be built by the drafting of young cheap talent" "We will let our play on the field do our talking" "there will be an open competition at qb, previous performance under a previous system will have no bearing on the outcome"
    Good post except I disagree with the part in bold. I would in fact argue the opposite. There are still many psl's to sell. The secondary market for them is tanking making it that much harder for the Jets to sell. They have to worry about people defaulting.

For these reasons they do not have a captive audience. Woody needs results now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    LB is a concern, but given how poorly Pace and BT played and how ineffective Scott was in passing situations, plugging in Mcintyre, Davis and rookies/FA this position is really addition by subtraction.

Safety is a whole different ball of wax. If they lose Landry , they better hope they draft a suitable replacement or pick one up in FA because I don't think Bush or Allen are ready to step in just yet.. Cro played great last year but Landry and Bell solidified the DB unit last year.
    Why then didn't Rex play those guys if they were better than the starters?
    I understand that there was a chasm between Sanchez and Mac or tebow in skills and that is why they didn't play. But why didn't those backups play more if you think it is addition by subtraction? They played because they were better than the players behind them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I think if there was a great candidate out there, you bring him with the promise of a 4-5 year plan to improve the team.
    We have been on that 4-5 year plan for like 25 years now. Rex has had one loosing season. We can't be like Detroit and Oakland with a new coach every 2-3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I know there's cases to be made - especially if you're in the camp that believes that Rex does more harm than good to this team (and forgetting the two AFCCGs)

...but really. What kind of situation does the NY Jets pose for a new coach? No cap room, half the roster on the way out, a fcked QB situation, little depth...

How exactly does that sound like something to attract a talented coaching staff? Its horrible.

I'm in the camp that believes we wouldn't possible land a credible candidate anyway. Better to let Rex play out 2013 - knowing he's on fringe - and see if can't make this trainwreck competitive. If he doesn't - appealing situation for 2014 candidates. If he does - that says something.
    The problem is WOODY. No matter what BS record WRECKS achieves , he will not be on the fringe. He is our coach for life unless WOODY sells the team to a guy like TRUMP.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What sheer and utter nonsense. The team has been bad the last two years and Rex's has what 6 wins in the teams last 19 games or so. People keep acting as if he did not hire the oc did not stick with a qb who was totally faulty, was not on board with the tebow move, didn'thave a say in the scrub players that stayed here last year. He's the head coach, he had a huge say in the makeup of the team and it has been lousy for a a full year and half.
    This.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Good post except I disagree with the part in bold. I would in fact argue the opposite. There are still many psl's to sell. The secondary market for them is tanking making it that much harder for the Jets to sell. They have to worry about people defaulting.

For these reasons they do not have a captive audience. Woody needs results now.
    He sold 50,000 PSL, those seats are sold. Does he have 10,000 more to sell yes, But is a new coach more likely to spark and interest than 2 more years of Rex? I think so.

Fans will buy hope if you can't sell them performance. A new coach will bring hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He sold 50,000 PSL, those seats are sold. Does he have 10,000 more to sell yes, But is a new coach more likely to spark and interest than 2 more years of Rex? I think so.

Fans will buy hope if you can't sell them performance. A new coach will bring hope.
    Rex is the epitome of "no matter how terrible our record is, this guy will appeal to these same morons who watched Jersey Shore."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why then didn't Rex play those guys if they were better than the starters?
    I understand that there was a chasm between Sanchez and Mac or tebow in skills and that is why they didn't play. But why didn't those backups play more if you think it is addition by subtraction? They played because they were better than the players behind them.
    The point is they did play . Both Demario Davis and Macntyre did get a lot of reps but in my mind not enough. We all know Rex has been too loyal to his aging vets for too long. The cap will dictate that his old pals Pace & Scott are gone, and I'd be highly surprised that BT doesn't go along with them. Its no secret the Jets LBers were among the slowest in the league. Davis, Mcyntyre plus a FA or draft choice can give this unit a shot in the arm and watch the effectiveness of David Harris pickup as well

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Has he sold 50,000 paid in full psl seats? I don't know. I think there will be a lot of defaults this year.

I also don't think you can underestimate how badly Woody did not want to eat the last 2 years of Rex's contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The point is they did play . Both Demario Davis and Macntyre did get a lot of reps but in my mind not enough. We all know Rex has been too loyal to his aging vets for too long. The cap will dictate that his old pals Pace & Scott are gone, and I'd be highly surprised that BT doesn't go along with them. Its no secret the Jets LBers were among the slowest in the league. Davis, Mcyntyre plus a FA or draft choice can give this unit a shot in the arm and watch the effectiveness of David Harris pickup as well
    B/Us playing rotational duty is not what i meant. Pace and Scott are going to be cut. Rex wanted to win those last two games, that is why they got the great majority of the min those two games. Playing a vet for two game before you cut him is not showing loyalty, it is putting your best players out there to make plays. if he had a real B/U at qb Sanchez would have been benched at Thanksgiving. It wasn't loyalty, but playing the guy he thought was the best he had.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Has he sold 50,000 paid in full psl seats? I don't know. I think there will be a lot of defaults this year.

I also don't think you can underestimate how badly Woody did not want to eat the last 2 years of Rex's contract.
    No I think you over estimate woody's fiscal restraint. I think Woody has few if any doubts on Rex's ability to lead this team. Paid in full who cares? he will end up selling the same seat twice as soon as the team has a wining record again. PSLs are just and insidious method of maintaining a STH base no matter how bad the product.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    B/Us playing rotational duty is not what i meant. Pace and Scott are going to be cut. Rex wanted to win those last two games, that is why they got the great majority of the min those two games. Playing a vet for two game before you cut him is not showing loyalty, it is putting your best players out there to make plays. if he had a real B/U at qb Sanchez would have been benched at Thanksgiving. It wasn't loyalty, but playing the guy he thought was the best he had.
    In reality those last two games were meaningless to the Jets. My guess is Rex threw those guys a bone out of loyalty knowing it would be their last hurrah with the team. They were starters in name but it was evident they were on their final legs with the team.

And I agree on Sanchez, I believe Rex when he said Sanchez gave them the best chance to win. If there was a better option we would have seen him sooner. McElroy in the Arz game was a desperation shot at staying alive. McElroy against SD was a the season's over lets take the heat off Sanchez move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In reality those last two games were meaningless to the Jets. My guess is Rex threw those guys a bone out of loyalty knowing it would be their last hurrah with the team. They were starters in name but it was evident they were on their final legs with the team.

And I agree on Sanchez, I believe Rex when he said Sanchez gave them the best chance to win. If there was a better option we would have seen him sooner. McElroy in the Arz game was a desperation shot at staying alive. McElroy against SD was a the season's over lets take the heat off Sanchez move.
    Meaningless as far as the playoffs, yes. but not as far as keeping his job.
    he had the opportunity to start and give min to players thatwere going to be on his roster. a chance to see them in a starting role. But he thought the games were important enough to trot out his best players.

It appears we just have a different perception on his actions. no biggie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Meaningless as far as the playoffs, yes. but not as far as keeping his job.
    he had the opportunity to start and give min to players thatwere going to be on his roster. a chance to see them in a starting role. But he thought the games were important enough to trot out his best players.

It appears we just have a different perception on his actions. no biggie.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I know there's cases to be made - especially if you're in the camp that believes that Rex does more harm than good to this team (and forgetting the two AFCCGs)

...but really. What kind of situation does the NY Jets pose for a new coach? No cap room, half the roster on the way out, a fcked QB situation, little depth...

How exactly does that sound like something to attract a talented coaching staff? Its horrible.

I'm in the camp that believes we wouldn't possible land a credible candidate anyway. Better to let Rex play out 2013 - knowing he's on fringe - and see if can't make this trainwreck competitive. If he doesn't - appealing situation for 2014 candidates. If he does - that says something.
    If I were the owner, the GM, Rex and Mark Sanchez would've all been called in a room and been given their pink slips simultaneously.