Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honestly - why would you bring in a new coach for 2013?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly - why would you bring in a new coach for 2013?

I know there's cases to be made - especially if you're in the camp that believes that Rex does more harm than good to this team (and forgetting the two AFCCGs)

...but really. What kind of situation does the NY Jets pose for a new coach? No cap room, half the roster on the way out, a fcked QB situation, little depth...

How exactly does that sound like something to attract a talented coaching staff? Its horrible.

I'm in the camp that believes we wouldn't possible land a credible candidate anyway. Better to let Rex play out 2013 - knowing he's on fringe - and see if can't make this trainwreck competitive. If he doesn't - appealing situation for 2014 candidates. If he does - that says something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if there was a great candidate out there, you bring him with the promise of a 4-5 year plan to improve the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I think if there was a great candidate out there, you bring him with the promise of a 4-5 year plan to improve the team.
    Bold strategy. Any names? Or just any one other than Rex?

Personally, I think Rex is a buffoon. But the man can coach defense, and he's gotten this team to 2 AFC championship games when they've had a somewhat competent offense... which is more than you can say for any Jets coach since Weeb Eubank.

Maybe, just maybe, find a QB who won't rank 36th in the league, and hire an OC who knows how to run an offense (and doesn't need a 'passing coordinator' like Shades had in Dallas) and this team could have a chance.

I'd love Rex to be a better all around coach, but at this point in his career he's not... but it's funny how good he could suddenly look with an offense putting up 20 a game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I forgot that this only works is if the new GM is given the power to hire the new coach.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would interview Bevall (sp?) Seattle's OC.

Also would consider:

Mike Nolan, Atl DC, ex-Niner HC
    Todd Haley, Pitt OC, ex-KC HC (look what the team did when he left), ex-AZ OC
    Gus Bradley, DC of Seattle
    Brian Kelly of ND ( after last night he might be ready to leave)
    Clements, QB coach of GB
    Armstrong, Atl ST.

Probably lean toward Bevall, Nolan, or Haley.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Personally, I think Rex is a buffoon. But the man can coach defense, and he's gotten this team to 2 AFC championship games when they've had a somewhat competent offense... which is more than you can say for any Jets coach since Weeb Eubank.

Maybe, just maybe, find a QB who won't rank 36th in the league, and hire an OC who knows how to run an offense (and doesn't need a 'passing coordinator' like Shades had in Dallas) and this team could have a chance.

I'd love Rex to be a better all around coach, but at this point in his career he's not... but it's funny how good he could suddenly look with an offense putting up 20 a game.
    I agree with everything you said, thank you for saving me the trouble of typing it myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I know there's cases to be made - especially if you're in the camp that believes that Rex does more harm than good to this team (and forgetting the two AFCCGs)

...but really. What kind of situation does the NY Jets pose for a new coach? No cap room, half the roster on the way out, a fcked QB situation, little depth...

How exactly does that sound like something to attract a talented coaching staff? Its horrible.

I'm in the camp that believes we wouldn't possible land a credible candidate anyway. Better to let Rex play out 2013 - knowing he's on fringe - and see if can't make this trainwreck competitive. If he doesn't - appealing situation for 2014 candidates. If he does - that says something.
    I have thought the same thing. The schedule is tough and I see us having a bad year. With cap money clearing and a decent draft choice likely, it would be a good situation for a head coach.

That said, does this organization have any master plan for the future? I haven't seen one yet. Hope I am wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the current regime can screw it up further. A totally new regime deals with t crap for a year or two and then rebuilds properly. the danger is that the current guys do nothing to advance the cause.

I'm not totally against rex ryan staying but to use it as an excuse to not make a change if required is weak.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    If he doesn't - appealing situation for 2014 candidates. If he does - that says something.
    I think he made the 2012 squad pretty competitive given what he was given, and that OUGHT to say something to many people. But alas, these are Jet fans, so when the team doesn't win every game, someone should be fired.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I think he made the 2012 squad pretty competitive given what he was given, and that OUGHT to say something to many people. But alas, these are Jet fans, so when the team doesn't win every game, someone should be fired.
    What sheer and utter nonsense. The team has been bad the last two years and Rex's has what 6 wins in the teams last 19 games or so. People keep acting as if he did not hire the oc did not stick with a qb who was totally faulty, was not on board with the tebow move, didn'thave a say in the scrub players that stayed here last year. He's the head coach, he had a huge say in the makeup of the team and it has been lousy for a a full year and half.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The question isn't whether or not Rex has brought us to an AFC Championship game.

The question is whether or not he can bring us to another one.

And the answer is no.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    "competitive" !!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can come up with one hundred other words to characterize the Jets and none of them are "competitive."

Our moment of glory was against the Bills in week 1.
    Oh, and hanging in with the Patriots for a full 4th quarter before losing horribly.

Those were the highlights.

Pretty dismal.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets 2 bad years were 8-8 and 6-10......some people make it seem like the Jets are the worse team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    the Jets 2 bad years were 8-8 and 6-10......some people make it seem like the Jets are the worse team in the league.
    An 8-8 season where the team lost their last 3 games. Rex admittedly said he had no pulse on the locker room. He gets another chance (he did deserve it) but goes 6-10 & lost last 3 games despite having the easiest schedule in the NFL.

What does Woody do? Gives him a vote of confidence and basically more control than he's ever had.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Towards the end of the Bengals loss to the Texans last weekend. It was mentioned that the Bungles have now gone 22 years without a playoff win. Wow!

Marty Schotty, with a bunch of 10+ winning seasons, probably had about 8 or so attempts at a playoff win...and didn't get one.

Rex has four in two years. And Woody feels that's what's really important. Not the #6 jersey tattoo on Rex' bicep. Just get a football man in here as GM. To help restock the Jets with talent. Help give guidance in all matters dealing with the offense. Woody feels confident if these things happen, then Rex can get Jets another AFCCG, and chance at the Supe.

But the hyper Rex haters think this plan by Woody makes him clueless. Cause Rex is the devil. End of story. He must go.

I have no tantrums or obsession of a Rex must fail nature. I'm more concerned in the Jets getting a GM with a football background on his resume. And hoping this new GM can do well in the draft and FA acquisitions. And sign players to contracts that more accurately reflects their CAP value to the team.

Jets will struggle mightily in 2013 no matter what. Both in the W-L record. Or in acquiring good veteran FAs, to replace the players that can't help the Jets win anymore. Cause the CAP cupboard will be bare until 2014. Until then...only cosmetic additions can be made.

But with good drafts in 2013 and 14. With a healthy CAP in 2014. That will allow the new GM to target high ticket FAs, to supplement the drafts and the Jets core of veterans. This Jets team can be on a more solid foundation. One that can sustain itself moving forward. Competing for several years in the playoffs for the Lombardi Trophy.

With a new GM...OC...QB coach...QB...and offensive playmakers. It should no longer be a popgun offense. But an aggressive one...maybe at times a pistol one. And all the time a more complementary one for Rex and the defense.

This is how Woody sees the future with the new GM and the rest that I've mentioned. This is what Woody wants to do. I'm ok in giving this a try.

As Marshall McLuhan would say...

"the medium is the message...the medium is the massage."

The message is a reflection of the messenger himself. Be it from the media or from around here.

If Rex...with his four playoff wins...is the devil. Then that's all you need to know about those whining messengers.

I'm a Jets fan...not the Iceman that cometh...to poison your drink.

Give it a rest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bad thing about their last two seasons was finishing badly. but the jets have never been a really good late season team. not an excuse but it's just the way this team has played over the stretch for many seasons. rex can have as many years as woody wants, it's his team. and woody knows putting fannies in the seats make his team successful. and there is a silver lining. because of the salary cap, rex will have to rely on younger players. this should at least stock the talent cabinet for the next guy or years to come.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So you're basically saying that Rex is only here for 1 year because we know we will be bad next year.. Tougher schedule, no QB, only 10 starters back, etc... I agree with you, so let's say this comes true.

We have to hire an entire new staff outside of the HC this year. So if Rex is only here 1 year then 1 of these 2 things happen.

1. The new head coach next year won't get to pick his coaching staff. Why? Beacause we just gave an entire staff 3 year deals the year before. Woody would have to eat big money on 3-4 different coaches. OC, DC. QB coach, etc... The new HC will be strapped with coaches how Rex was with Schotty.

2. If the HC and it's entire staff are let go, we're going on our 4th offensive system in 4 years. But we know this won't happen as it's not loigical given the fact we are hiring an entire new staff this year.

We all now how this will go. If Woody spends money to bring in new coaches this year and fires Rex after this season, we all know he will make the new coach keep the coaches he just paid the year before.. He's not going to eat the money of an entire coaching staff which is what we need right now.

So if we baiscally know Rex is only here a year, then he should've been fired now!!!!!!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two thoughts

The Jets won't attract a top HC (Cowher, et al.) or top GM (pick one) as long as Woody Johnson is doing anything other than signing checks from Florida and limiting his time in the Meadowlands to going straight to the Owner's box on game day and flying out after the game.

Rex Ryan is doing everything in his power to get fired, but it makes complete sense for the Jets to force him to stick around next year, if for no other reason than to punish him for what he has done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a dumb ass question.

honestly, would you consider bringing in a new QB for 2013?

The answer is exactly the same to both questions. Yes, if you want to win more football games both now and long-term. Both men have failed in their duties here.