Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Relax it's a crapshoot

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax it's a crapshoot

Does it really matter who the GM is as long as he has a football background unlike Tanny.
    Is Belichick a great coach? Yes
    Would he have the record he has without arguably the best QB to ever play?
    NO!
    We need QB
    Big Ben gets hurt
    Steelers golf early
    3 teams that got new QBs made the playoffs, Indy, Seahawks, Redskins
    Coincidence?
    We could do worse than having Rex
    Tanny gutted this team & saddled them with contracts that make no sense, Sanchez, Holmes, Harris.
    Rex wanted to open the offense in 2011, how did that work out?
    Sanchez didn't accend, he got worse.
    Any coach saddled with the worst QB in the league will struggle.
    A new GM will most likely stop the Tanny practice of trading away all of our picks for veteran bandaid fixes, maybe even trade back for extra picks & most likely stop taking division 2 players, kickers, & "potential" like Gholston.
    Woody said in his presser that the GM will have final say in all player personnel decisions, that's the best thing I took out of that press conference.
    Go Jets!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Woody said in his presser that the GM will have final say in all player personnel decisions, that's the best thing I took out of that press conference.
    Go Jets!
    Exactly. A new direction this team hasn't used in quite some time. that in itself should be refreshing to the fan base, regardless of who is named GM. Alas, this fan base loves being miserable. Not me, though! Just bring in a "football" guy who has experience in scouting and personnel and I'm good. It's not like Gamble and Caldwell were the only 2 qualified candidates.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Exactly. A new direction this team hasn't used in quite some time. that in itself should be refreshing to the fan base, regardless of who is named GM. Alas, this fan base loves being miserable. Not me, though! Just bring in a "football" guy who has experience in scouting and personnel and I'm good. It's not like Gamble and Caldwell were the only 2 qualified candidates.

There's nothing wrong with even Scott Cohen's football resume. If he's given full authority over all personnel matters. Has a sound vision and plan of action moving forward. Then I have no problem with it.

I've seen a film on the history of the Knicks...

There was a company man(that's how he described himself) in the organization named Red Holzman. I believe he did some scouting and assistant coaching for the team. They were struggling for years. But were acquiring talent with high draft choices during those losing times. One year the coach was fired. Red Holzman became the interim coach for the remainder of the year. While the Knicks brass would start searching for a name coach to take over next year.

Well...Holzman did so good a job...that the Knicks stopped searching for a new coach. And gave him an extension to coach next year. Now it was either that very next year, or the year after, Red Holzman took Willis Reed, Walt Frazier and the rest, to an NBA championship. Eventually he ended up into the NBA HOF as one of the greatest of NBA coaches.

He was an unknown...low level company man. But he knew the game of basketball. Spent his whole adult life in it. And when he stumbled into this opportunity...he showed what he could do.

Scott Cohen could be the right guy for GM. He certainly knows the Jets personnel and scouting departments inside out. Probably knows its strengths and weaknesses too.

Now if none of these name candidates wants the Jets GM job...then Scott Cohen looks like he could stumble into it.

Who knows...Scott Cohen...the second coming of "the architect."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's the thing, great qbs are developed by great coaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Does it really matter who the GM is as long as he has a football background unlike Tanny.
    Is Belichick a great coach? Yes
    Would he have the record he has without arguably the best QB to ever play?
    NO!
    We need QB
    Big Ben gets hurt
    Steelers golf early
    3 teams that got new QBs made the playoffs, Indy, Seahawks, Redskins
    Coincidence?
    We could do worse than having Rex
    Tanny gutted this team & saddled them with contracts that make no sense, Sanchez, Holmes, Harris.
    Rex wanted to open the offense in 2011, how did that work out?
    Sanchez didn't accend, he got worse.
    Any coach saddled with the worst QB in the league will struggle.
    A new GM will most likely stop the Tanny practice of trading away all of our picks for veteran bandaid fixes, maybe even trade back for extra picks & most likely stop taking division 2 players, kickers, & "potential" like Gholston.
    Go Jets!
    Three guys that Rex absolutely had to have at any price.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    He's the thing, great qbs are developed by great coaches.
    Yea, OK
    Maybe to their FULL POTENTIAL but they are usually pretty damn good in their own right.
    That's like saying Brady would not have been great unless BB was coaching him.
    No one knows, but he would have still been VERY GOOD!

Where do you think the quote "the cream always rises to the top" from?

Brady, Payton, Brees, Eli, these guys are like coaches on the damn field.

Just like Elway, Marino, ect., any coach has one of these guys looks better & makes more playoff trips.
    Perfect example is the Colts- Luck was considered best prospect in years
    PLAYOFFS!