Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweets & News 1/9

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    O.K. I have to ask, who is Jim Popp?

Never heard his name before in my life.
    Go to thread titled "Adam caplan list of GM candidates". I posted his bio.

GM from CFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    The greatest GM in CFL history.
    I don't watch the CFL, so, that explains it I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Go to thread titled "Adam caplan list of GM candidates". I posted his bio.

GM from CFL.
    I'll check it out, thanks C Mart.

I don't watch the CFL, so, that explains it I guess.
    I suppose, but just listening to his interviews online he seems rather impressive.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    See this is the type of post that I'm getting tired of. Just hire a GM so that we don't have to deal with his crap.
    Look, my intention was not to piss you or anybody else off. I didn't put any opinion in anything above, it was what was put out by multiple sources.

What is everyone gonna say when they announce next week that Scott Cohen "was the best guy for the job."

What are you telling yourself to rationalize how this will be good going forward?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I suppose, but just listening to his interviews online he seems rather impressive.
    Just read his resume in C Mart's GM candidates thread, Popp's resume sounds really impressive.

At first glance, one would think that success would translate over to the NFL.....or would it?

Thoughts?

Just read his resume in C Mart's GM candidates thread, Popp's resume sounds really impressive.

At first glance, one would think that success would translate over to the NFL.....or would it?

Thoughts?
    It is not as if he is a player converting from the CFL to the NFL. Talent evaluation is a skill you either have or you don't and it is universal. I believe his abilities can translate real well. He can also handle the spotlight considering he is in Montreal.

Popp was a finalist for the Colts job last season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It is not as if he is a player converting from the CFL to the NFL. Talent evaluation is a skill you either have or you don't and it is universal. I believe his abilities can translate real well. He can also handle the spotlight considering he is in Montreal.

Popp was a finalist for the Colts job last season.
    I just have no idea if CFL contracts and the CFL salary cap are as complex as they are in the NFL, I am sure the numbers aren't nearly as large....maybe I am just knit-picking here......but a GM has to be able to crunch numbers as well, not just evaluate talent.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

I just have no idea if CFL contracts and the CFL salary cap are as complex as they are in the NFL, I am sure the numbers aren't nearly as large....maybe I am just knit-picking here......but a GM has to be able to crunch numbers as well not just evaluate talent.
    I agree but math is universal. Sure the rules may differ, but Popp has been considered by the Colts and Panthers already. Clearly he is being targeted for a reason. Also I would rather have a GM who can identify talent but struggles a bit with the cap versus the opposite.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I agree but math is universal. Sure the rules may differ, but Popp has been considered by the Colts and Panthers already. Clearly he is being targeted for a reason. Also I would rather have a GM who can identify talent but struggles a bit with the cap versus the opposite.
    Well I don't want to be in salary cap hell either, so, hopefully he can do both.

Popp was considered by 2 teams and was passed over by both, part of me can't help but wonder why.

I am guessing that having zero NFL experience is making teams wary.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Then lets hire TOM GAMBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Look, my intention was not to piss you or anybody else off. I didn't put any opinion in anything above, it was what was put out by multiple sources.

What is everyone gonna say when they announce next week that Scott Cohen "was the best guy for the job."

What are you telling yourself to rationalize how this will be good going forward?
    It probably won't be.

But it is what it is. You don't think if the Jets seriously bomb this season that Woody won't fire Rex? He will pressured to. He won't be able to dine anywhere.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @RUSSLANDE: @woodyjohnson4 - Of the remaining GM candidates, the Jets need to talk seriously with Jim Popp and Bill Polian to see if there is interest.

@fyke62: @RUSSLANDE - nobody with half a brain WANTS to work there.

@RUSSLANDE: @fyke62 - That is why the Jets need to step up & get a GM like Jim Popp as he has dealt with tough situations like that before.

Lande trying to directly instruct Woody.

I like Popp. He at least deserves an interview.
    If they're looking at 10 other candidates, Popp should absolutely be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Then lets hire TOM GAMBLE!
    If I owned the Jets, Gamble would have been the GM eight days ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    If they're looking at 10 other candidates, Popp should absolutely be one of them.
    I was born and raised in Hauppauge Norm, graduated from Hauppauge HS in 1988.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wait a minute. Did Raye refuse the interview or did the team never schedule it?

If the team is starting to not schedule interviews, then that means they have something cooking
    Why would the Jets not even interview a guy with Raye's history as director of college scouting for the Chargers? If so, that's just plain stupid IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The MIA guy is interviewing tomorrow, so my guess is Raye told us to piss off.
    That shouldn't be enough for him to pass. That's part of the process. It's got to be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Why would the Jets not even interview a guy with Raye's history as director of college scouting for the Chargers? If so, that's just plain stupid IMO.
    Maybe Raye gave Woody the finger? Not every candidate HAS to interview for a job.

All Pro
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets will interview Steelers executive Omar Khan for vacant GM job tomorrow, per source. #nyj
    Worth a look at someone from the Steelers organization

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    As someone actually in the business, not a fan.
    Except Arod actually thinks he could.