Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweets & News 1/9

Well the news that the Jets are reaching out to more candidates tells me that the plan all along was NOT to hire Scott Cohen. If that was their plan, they would have hired him by now.

So Woody did not do all this for PR purposes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I'd like to think that the longer this goes on and the more people they interview, the less likely it is that Cohen gets the job. I'd be fine with just about anyone but Cohen, so that's a win.
    I think just the opposite.

The longer it goes on, the more likely Cohen is the guy.

There were so many people on this board saying the other day how much respect Rex Ryan has among his piers in the NFL as a head coach. Some scrambling for little snipets from articles saying so. Having to resort to finding articles from January of 2011 where anything remotely close to that was mentioned.

I firmly believe that his presence as HC, forced by Woodhead Johnson, is a big factor in the Jets pursuit of a GM so far. And not in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

There were so many people on this board saying the other day how much respect Rex Ryan has among his piers in the NFL as a head coach. Some scrambling for little snipets from articles saying so. Having to resort to finding articles from January of 2011 where anything remotely close to that was mentioned.

I firmly believe that his presence as HC, forced by Woodhead Johnson, is a big factor in the Jets pursuit of a GM so far. And not in a positive way.
    Yup. Well said, Jordy.

There's definitely that possibility. But I can't help but think that if Woody wanted Cohen to have the job, he'd already have it. They seem to be desperately trying to find someone else, anyone else, to say yes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    What's weird is that it's not just the Jets. It doesn't seem like his name is surfacing with anyone any more. Wasn't the story that he was going to meet with the Chargers, too? Now the Chargers aren't talking about him either.
    I forget who it was, but a poster here predicted the other day that Gamble would stay in SF. Could be right.

There's definitely that possibility. But I can't help but think that if Woody wanted Cohen to have the job, he'd already have it. They seem to be desperately trying to find someone else, anyone else, to say yes.
    Exactly. And if it's the case that Cohen is the only remaining option, then I wouldn't mind. As long as they did their due diligence.

All League
    Regarding the OC position, bring in a new, fresh Offensive mind. The Saints have a dynamic Offense, with a good running attack. The Niners don't have anything special at QB, and they do a good job with them. I kinda don't want Norv. He's been there, done that, and I don't want a guy to come here just to go through the motions. I want a guy who wants to elevate his reputation, and kick ass.

One of these guys would be a good choice....

GEEP CHRYST
    49ers quarterbacks coach

Right now, Chrystís responsibilities include game- and red zone-planning for a dynamic 49ers offense that has blossomed over the past two seasons. In previous jobs, he implemented a no-huddle offense in San Diego (offensive coordinator 1999-2000) and worked with a Panthers offense that had two running backs eclipse the 1,000-yard mark in the same season in 2009. The 49ers offense has definitely shown flashes of unpredictability and attack mentality. Remember Colin Kaepernick coming out of nowhere to stun the Jets this year?

JOE LOMBARDI
    Saints quarterbacks coach

On his watch, Drew Brees has completed 1,279 of 1,829 passes (69.9 percent) for 14,484 yards. Add 113 touchdown passes and a 103.2 passer rating and you have the recipe for unpredictable and attacking-style right there. Lombardi is the grandson of one Vince Lombardi. Canít hurt, right? A lot of QB coaches become offensive coordinators and although thereís no direct link between Lombardi and the Jets, it would at least be worth a phone call.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    That could be more of a dog and pony show to appease the fans.

"Look Jets fans (read PSL owners), I'm doing my due diligence, even paying a firm $200K, to find a GM to fix our team."

Just a thought I had a second ago...

With Woody saying at the Presser that Rex would have control over coaches and the GM would have control over personnel, would that be proven true by the fact that only coaching changes have been made? Also, would that also suggest that Cohen isn't the guy/a GM truly hasn't been decided?

By the way DDNY,

Tebow is not staying here. We are going to release him and he is either going to Jacksonville or he is going to go to the CFL.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Don't be surprised if DL Mike DeVito, OLB Calvin Pace and S Eric Smith are Buffalo Bills next season. #nyj

Don't be surprised if I leap for joy should that happen.

i also wonder if korn/ferry advised woody to announce that the new gm would have the authority to fire rex, and woody rejected that advice.

if all these qualified external candidates reject the job and they wind up hiring cohen, maybe then woody will realize that his decision to keep rex had an impact on the process. he seems unphased, and naive, that this reality will not impact the outcome.

That could be more of a dog and pony show to appease the fans.

"Look Jets fans (read PSL owners), I'm doing my due diligence, even paying a firm $200K, to find a GM to fix our team."
    Again, if that was true they wouldn't still be "scrambling" They would have hired him after the first round of interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Don't be surprised if DL Mike DeVito, OLB Calvin Pace and S Eric Smith are Buffalo Bills next season. #nyj

Oh no; hope they don't take Jeff Lageman and Marvin Washington too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Exactly. And if it's the case that Cohen is the only remaining option, then I wouldn't mind. As long as they did their due diligence.
    What if it was Rex Ryan's presence that resulted in that realization?

What if the rest of the league perceives HC Rex Ryan as a detriment to building a successful franchise?

Ozzie Newsome avoided him like the plague. Maybe he knew something?

What if it was Rex Ryan's presence that resulted in that realization?

What if the rest of the league perceives HC Rex Ryan as a detriment to building a successful franchise?

Ozzie Newsome avoided him like the plague. Maybe he knew something?
    But we'll never know.

Remember Tom Heckert canceled his interview because of the cap situation.

Besides, if they suck this year, Rex is gone. Attitudes can change quickly when your team is 2-14.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

DeVito is a solid backup/rotational guy on a good team.

The other two...don't let the door hit you on the way out. LOL @ Eric Smith. I hope we face him twice a year.

I forget who it was, but a poster here predicted the other day that Gamble would stay in SF. Could be right.
    That was me, the "doddering old fool". I might have actually called something right for once.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Again, if that was true they wouldn't still be "scrambling" They would have hired him after the first round of interviews.
    I honestly don't think Cohen was the first choice.

But I DO think that Rex Ryan is having a negative impact on hiring a GM outside the organization.

DeVito is a solid backup/rotational guy on a good team.

The other two...don't let the door hit you on the way out. LOL @ Eric Smith. I hope we face him twice a year.
    While I agree the DeVito is a solid backup, I'm all for him going there if it means the other two will go with him.