Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 411

Thread: Tweets & News 1/9

  1. #341
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    An owner with a boatload of money, a good HC with post-season success & experience, a roster with some holes to fill - but a team that overall, has alot of young, up and coming talent....

    Why not??
    Maybe because not everyone believes Ryan is a good HC.

  2. #342
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Stopped reading at "good HC". You're funny, lol.
    McGinley, you're growing on me. (no homo)

  3. #343
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Well I don't want to be in salary cap hell either, so, hopefully he can do both.

    Popp was considered by 2 teams and was passed over by both, part of me can't help but wonder why.

    I am guessing that having zero NFL experience is making teams wary.
    JMO. You can hire cap guys. Jets have one now in Ari Nissim. I know the Jets are in cap hell. But who knows who drew up the contracts and the agenda at the time, which we all know from Woody was to go for it

    As for 2 teams passing him over. It could be the lack of NFL experience/ties. But every team has their own criteria. And according to reports Popp barely lost out in Carolina.

  4. #344
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Worth a look at someone from the Steelers organization
    From Wikipedia.....

    Omar Khan

    Football career

    As a student, Khan worked in the Tulane football office filming practices and games and making travel arrangements. He filled a similar capacity during an internship with the New Orleans Saints while he was still in school. Once he graduated in 1997, he was brought on in a full-time role by the Saints. He worked his way up the ladder in New Orleans by doing anything that was asked of him.

    In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers and has served as their chief contract negotiator and capologist, replacing Dan Ferens.[4] In that role he has helped to assemble two Super Bowl winners.[5]

  5. #345
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I was born and raised in Hauppauge Norm, graduated from Hauppauge HS in 1988.
    Cool! I just moved here last year. Living on the Windwatch golf course!

  6. #346
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Omar Khan is basically the Steelers version of Mike Tannenbaum. He's a
    cap-ologist and a contract negotiator.

  7. #347
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    JMO. You can hire cap guys. Jets have one now in Ari Nissim. I know the Jets are in cap hell. But who knows who drew up the contracts and the agenda at the time, which we all know from Woody was to go for it

    As for 2 teams passing him over. It could be the lack of NFL experience/ties. But every team has their own criteria. And according to reports Popp barely lost out in Carolina.
    At least it seems the Jets are exploring all possibilities which is good.

  8. #348
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    Cool! I just moved here last year. Living on the Windwatch golf course!
    There was no Windwatch golf course when I lived in Hauppauge, the only golf course they had was at a place called Colony Hill on Motor Parkway which was adjacent to Hidden Pond Park - which I am sure is long gone by now (Colony Hill that is)

  9. #349
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    after a quick wikipedia search, I dont know how I feel about hiring another "capologist" after Tannenbaum turned the talent level of our team into feces....

  10. #350
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    There was no Windwatch golf course when I lived in Hauppauge, the only golf course they had was at a place called Colony Hill on Motor Parkway which was adjacent to Hidden Pond Park - which I am sure is long gone by now (Colony Hill that is)
    I believe that Colony Hill was the original name. It's the only golf course I'm aware of in Hauppauge.

  11. #351
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    From Wikipedia.....

    Omar Khan

    Football career

    As a student, Khan worked in the Tulane football office filming practices and games and making travel arrangements. He filled a similar capacity during an internship with the New Orleans Saints while he was still in school. Once he graduated in 1997, he was brought on in a full-time role by the Saints. He worked his way up the ladder in New Orleans by doing anything that was asked of him.

    In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers and has served as their chief contract negotiator and capologist, replacing Dan Ferens.[4] In that role he has helped to assemble two Super Bowl winners.[5]
    Yeah. Not what we're looking for (JMO) from a GM perspective. Maybe as the cap guy. But can't see him leaving for just a lateral move.

    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...-title-change/

  12. #352
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Maybe Raye gave Woody the finger? Not every candidate HAS to interview for a job.
    I understand. I was responding to someone who suggested that maybe the Jets chose not to interview him.

  13. #353
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    I believe that Colony Hill was the original name. It's the only golf course I'm aware of in Hauppauge.
    Probably so....it was the only golf course in town when I lived there many moons ago.....

  14. #354
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    So Omar Khan is basically the Steelers version of Mike Tannenbaum. He's a
    cap-ologist and a contract negotiator.
    My first thoughts as well.

  15. #355
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    However, a lot of Steelers fans on Twitter are going crazy against this which could mean he means more to this franchise than we thought.

  16. #356
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    However, a lot of Steelers fans on Twitter are going crazy against this which could mean he means more to this franchise than we thought.
    Just like Jets fans for Tanny back a few years ago? IMO we need someone with a scouting background.

  17. #357
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    It probably won't be.

    But it is what it is. You don't think if the Jets seriously bomb this season that Woody won't fire Rex? He will pressured to. He won't be able to dine anywhere.
    To be completely honest with you, no I don't think Woody will fire Rex.

    It doesn't take a genius to see that we have 12 starters either FA or being a cap casualty. Unfortunately, we only have a borderline replacement for 2 of those if you can count Powell and Davis.

    So with about $10M in cap space after cutting Pace, Scott, and the Smiths, we have to sign a draft class and fill the remainder roster holes. That isn't even taking care of the QB spot.

    I fear that Woody gives Rex a Mulligan for 2013, secretly gives him a one year extension so 2014 he comes in and is not a lame duck.

  18. #358
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    @BrianCoz: The Jets are also interviewing several guys who have previously been GMs over the next few days. I don't know the names yet. #nyj

    @BrianCoz: Khan, Gaine and one mystery former GM are on deck tomorrow, according to sources. #nyj

    @BrianCoz: Bottom line: the Jets won't have a GM this week. #nyj
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-09-2013 at 09:57 PM.

  19. #359
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BrianCoz: The Jets are also interviewing several guys who have previously been GMs over the next few days. I don't know the names yet. #nyj
    thanks for the insightful tweet BrianCoz

  20. #360
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BrianCoz: The Jets are also interviewing several guys who have previously been GMs over the next few days. I don't know the names yet. #nyj

    @BrianCoz: Khan, Gaine and one mystery former GM are on deck tomorrow, according to sources. #nyj
    IT'S THE MYSTERY GUEST

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us