Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that heard Woody say the new GM will have final say on personnel?

Am I the only one that heard Woody say the new GM will have final say on personnel?

One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    You heard correctly. There's a lot of Selective listening. "jets suck" no matter what type mentality.

The really wierd thing I heard Woody say is when he quoted Tannenbaum, saying " like Mike always said, we will leave no stone unturned". Don't know many business owners who would quote a guy you just fired because you are blaming him for destroying your product.

There is definitely an apoplectic frenzy happening in the media.

In the end performance is all that matters. We will see shortly with the new GM selection.

yup, selective listening it is. While every Jets fan wants the GM to have final say, when Woody actually says it, so many of us skip over that part and go find something to complain about.

and you believe Woody, this will not end well

"Rex picks the coaches, the GM picks the players", Woody Johnson

Maybe the fans have a hard time believing the owner because he also said in the same presser that the team is heading in the right direction and the coach is the right man to lead us etc etc. Maybe because the owner treats the fan base like 5 year olds on Christmas Eve.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The really wierd thing I heard Woody say is when he quoted Tannenbaum, saying " like Mike always said, we will leave no stone unturned". Don't know many business owners who would quote a guy you just fired because you are blaming him for destroying your product.
    It's just an expression for we are going to work real hard at turning things around. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "Rex picks the coaches, the GM picks the players", Woody Johnson
    So, the media and 90% of JETS fans either didn't hear that or think the Wood man is lying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Maybe the fans have a hard time believing the owner because he also said in the same presser that the team is heading in the right direction and the coach is the right man to lead us etc etc. Maybe because the owner treats the fan base like 5 year olds on Christmas Eve.
    Maybe because alot of them act that way..

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Don't disagree, but I think WJ was going out of his way to be generous to Tanny. I have no doubt that it has to suck to fire a friend.

There's no way Rex doesn't have final say on personel, and Rex gets an extension before training camp

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    There's no way Rex doesn't have final say on personel, and Rex gets an extension before training camp
    If we promote Cohen, I'd have to agree with you.

If we hire Gamble or Ross, I'd disagree. There's no way they come here without final say on players.

You heard correct. It's just that most of the meatheads around here couldn't possibly understand something so simple. They are too busy b*tching about everything Rex Ryan and Woody Johnson.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    If Rex was so great, Woody would make him GM too, not totally uncommon. People are idgiots.

All League
    Rex also said he would solicit input from the GM and new OC on the QB position. Don't be dumb enough to believe that there are any controls in place to prevent Rex from destroying the franchise's foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Rex also said he would solicit input from the GM and new OC on the QB position. Don't be dumb enough to believe that there are any controls in place to prevent Rex from destroying the franchise's foreseeable future.
    That's the risk you take when you hire a HC. You think it's any different with any other HC? Mike Tannenbaum already destroyed the teams salary cap. Now Rex and Woody are left to pick up the pieces. Sh*t happens. Anything you do in football is risk, you just HOPE that guys leaves the organization in better shape than how it was when he got there.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes. And the new GM will answer to Rex.

Let me simplify this. Have any of you ever had a say in the hiring of your boss? Have you basically ever chosen your boss?
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.

He also described Rex as "sophisticated".
    That automatically removes any credibility from Woody's judgement