Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Am I the only one that heard Woody say the new GM will have final say on personnel?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Am I the only one that heard Woody say the new GM will have final say on personnel?

    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

    How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

    The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

    How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

    The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    You heard correctly. There's a lot of Selective listening. "jets suck" no matter what type mentality.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    The really wierd thing I heard Woody say is when he quoted Tannenbaum, saying " like Mike always said, we will leave no stone unturned". Don't know many business owners who would quote a guy you just fired because you are blaming him for destroying your product.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is definitely an apoplectic frenzy happening in the media.

    In the end performance is all that matters. We will see shortly with the new GM selection.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup, selective listening it is. While every Jets fan wants the GM to have final say, when Woody actually says it, so many of us skip over that part and go find something to complain about.

  6. #6
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    and you believe Woody, this will not end well

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

    How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

    The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    "Rex picks the coaches, the GM picks the players", Woody Johnson

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the fans have a hard time believing the owner because he also said in the same presser that the team is heading in the right direction and the coach is the right man to lead us etc etc. Maybe because the owner treats the fan base like 5 year olds on Christmas Eve.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The really wierd thing I heard Woody say is when he quoted Tannenbaum, saying " like Mike always said, we will leave no stone unturned". Don't know many business owners who would quote a guy you just fired because you are blaming him for destroying your product.
    It's just an expression for we are going to work real hard at turning things around. Nothing more.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "Rex picks the coaches, the GM picks the players", Woody Johnson
    So, the media and 90% of JETS fans either didn't hear that or think the Wood man is lying.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Maybe the fans have a hard time believing the owner because he also said in the same presser that the team is heading in the right direction and the coach is the right man to lead us etc etc. Maybe because the owner treats the fan base like 5 year olds on Christmas Eve.
    Maybe because alot of them act that way..

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The really wierd thing I heard Woody say is when he quoted Tannenbaum, saying " like Mike always said, we will leave no stone unturned". Don't know many business owners who would quote a guy you just fired because you are blaming him for destroying your product.
    Don't disagree, but I think WJ was going out of his way to be generous to Tanny. I have no doubt that it has to suck to fire a friend.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    796
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way Rex doesn't have final say on personel, and Rex gets an extension before training camp

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    There's no way Rex doesn't have final say on personel, and Rex gets an extension before training camp
    If we promote Cohen, I'd have to agree with you.

    If we hire Gamble or Ross, I'd disagree. There's no way they come here without final say on players.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

    How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

    The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    You heard correct. It's just that most of the meatheads around here couldn't possibly understand something so simple. They are too busy b*tching about everything Rex Ryan and Woody Johnson.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Rex was so great, Woody would make him GM too, not totally uncommon. People are idgiots.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex also said he would solicit input from the GM and new OC on the QB position. Don't be dumb enough to believe that there are any controls in place to prevent Rex from destroying the franchise's foreseeable future.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Rex also said he would solicit input from the GM and new OC on the QB position. Don't be dumb enough to believe that there are any controls in place to prevent Rex from destroying the franchise's foreseeable future.
    That's the risk you take when you hire a HC. You think it's any different with any other HC? Mike Tannenbaum already destroyed the teams salary cap. Now Rex and Woody are left to pick up the pieces. Sh*t happens. Anything you do in football is risk, you just HOPE that guys leaves the organization in better shape than how it was when he got there.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. And the new GM will answer to Rex.

    Let me simplify this. Have any of you ever had a say in the hiring of your boss? Have you basically ever chosen your boss?
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also described Rex as "sophisticated".
    That automatically removes any credibility from Woody's judgement

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us