Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one that heard Woody say the new GM will have final say on personnel?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Maybe the fans have a hard time believing the owner because he also said in the same presser that the team is heading in the right direction and the coach is the right man to lead us etc etc. Maybe because the owner treats the fan base like 5 year olds on Christmas Eve.
    He has some of you pegged then.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yes. And the new GM will answer to Rex.

Let me simplify this. Have any of you ever had a say in the hiring of your boss? Have you basically ever chosen your boss?
    Yes. I interviewed my boss before she was hired. It also happened at my last company too.

I wasn't the sole interviewer and didn't make the final decision, but I was asked for my opinion.

It happens all the time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me simplify this. Have any of you ever had a say in the hiring of your boss? Have you basically ever chosen your boss?
    Actually, i have had input into which boss I would like to work with. Either way, this is the NFL. If the Patriots decided to hire a new GM, you don't think they would let Bellichick have some involvement. No doubt Bellichick has earned that, but to act as if it is mind blowing to allow a Head Coach have SOME input in the decision is idiotic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    First, it appears That Rex is very well thought of by Woody as not only for X&Os, and leadership but also in talent evaluation, based on the press conference.

How most FOs work is the the GM has pro and college scouts on the payroll and they give him their and grades for their prospects. This info is also given to the coaching staff for thier use during the combine/prodays/WOs. The coaching staff then grades those same players.When it comes time to set up the board the GM attempts to reconcile the different grades. Players are also ranked by need.

Does Rex or the GM determine what needs the team has?
    How much weight is given the coaches grades vs the scouts grades?

Regardless of who picks the players, how the players are graded and establishing what the needs are are very important,

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I interviewed my boss before she was hired. It also happened at my last company too.

I wasn't the sole interviewer and didn't make the final decision, but I was asked for my opinion.

It happens all the time.
    The emboldened part is what I meant. I believe Rex has a lot of control of the situation. He is not just being asked for his opinion or simply meeting the candidates. Woody said Rex being the HC is a requirement for the new GM. In my book, that is akin to giving Rex the decision.

BTW, do you work for the Jets?
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    He also described Rex as "sophisticated".
    That automatically removes any credibility from Woody's judgement
    I've worked with a lot of very smart individuals who don't look smart or sophisticated. You can't always judge a book by its cover.

Ex President George Bush came across that way also. He was a Yale graduate and supposedly very sophisticated behind the scenes. Just sayin'

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Actually, i have had input into which boss I would like to work with. Either way, this is the NFL. If the Patriots decided to hire a new GM, you don't think they would let Bellichick have some involvement. No doubt Bellichick has earned that, but to act as if it is mind blowing to allow a Head Coach have SOME input in the decision is idiotic.
    Belichick is completely different. And Belichick runs the Pats. The Pats GM works for Belichick. Which is fine b.c liek you said, he has earned it an deserves that opportunity.

Rex on the other hand has earned sh*t. His mouth has wrote a lot of checks, but they all have bounced.

I am trying to think of a situation where this has worked. Where a team has done this and has actually gotten better. All I have come up with Pittsburgh. They changed GMs under Cowher but I am not even sure if that equates to our situation. The Giants promoted Reese but that was b.c Accorsi retired.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

In the military I was asked my opinion of said person being considered to get the position. In civilian life no but if someone is hated believe me he won't get the job.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belichick is completely different. And Belichick runs the Pats. The Pats GM works for Belichick. Which is fine b.c liek you said, he has earned it an deserves that opportunity.

Rex on the other hand has earned sh*t. His mouth has wrote a lot of checks, but they all have bounced.

I am trying to think of a situation where this has worked. Where a team has done this and has actually gotten better. All I have come up with Pittsburgh. They changed GMs under Cowher but I am not even sure if that equates to our situation. The Giants promoted Reese but that was b.c Accorsi retired.
    Before Belichick went to the Pats was he thought of as this all world coach. IF so then why wasn't their any sniffs as a HC of any team after he came to the Jets or while he was with the Pats as DC. He was the Jets coach TWICE. The GM in NE was hired after Belichick was hired as the coach and he wasn't thought of as the HOF head coach he is now. How many times do we need to hear Parcells was almost fired as coach of the Giants? Rex has had far less talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If many here want to harden their hearts into believing that Woody doesn't want to hire a capable GM. Allowing that individual to then start the process of putting the Jets on a solid foundation. Fine...knock yourselves out by all means.

But there will be a new GM. There will be a 45 minute or so presser. Media frenzy and fan hysteria will be the true circus surrounding the event. Not Woody, Rex and the new GM.

Tough questions will be asked...

"Do you have full power and authority to make all final decisions on player personnel and the draft? If not...what are your limitations?"

"Can you fire Rex, if the team is playing poorly, and you feel this warrants his departure?"

"Can you fire Rex, if in your opinion, the two of you are consistently working dysfunctionally, to the detriment of the team?"

"Why is this marriage between you and Rex, going to work better, then the previous one between Rex and Mike Tannenbaum?"

And on and on and on it will go.

Don't see why so many need to work themselves into a tizzy. Spouting righteous condemnations. When we still don't know who is the new GM. And if it ends up being Scott Cohen. What is he really like? And what does he have to say...in terms of his vision and his plan? None of us have experienced a first glimpse, at what is the unison message...that comes forth from Woody, New GM and Rex as a team.

Maybe patience ain't a bad option here...cause you will get served.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reporters asked that question specifically and Woody said that the new GM will have all personnel decisions. Also, he said Rex will have input on the hiring of the new GM.

How do we go from that to Rex is hiring the new GM and will pick all of the players?

The Fat Sweat spent 5 hours yesterday saying REx is running the show and is picking the GM and players. Even Boomer seems to think that's the case.
    Without going back to replay the whole fiasco that was yesterdays PC (I am depressed enough just hearing it the first time), I also heard him say that the GM picks the players....HOWEVER, I may be wrong but I could swear he then backtracked a bit by saying.....in typical Woody fashion.....well, as always it's a collaborative process.......in other words, REX.....as always is running the damn franchise......and in my opinion, he will continue his course of running it into the ground.....(and pound).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It happens all the time.
    I guess lots of posters never worked for or answered directly to someone who directly owns a company and has no one to answer too.

I have and the first thing you learn is that this type of boss can say whatever he or she wants but does not have to follow through on what they have stated. In fact very often they will go around supervisors or managers to get opinions and or information from workers.

Bottom line it's Woody's circus and he can run the three rings anyway he wants without offering explanation and or apology.