Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RGIII out 6-8 months after total knee reconstruction

Maybe they will look to trade for Sanchez now?

All Pro
    The plan all along for a young running QB is to have them transition into more of a pocket passer. He's a dynamic athlete and he may not be the same runner but he was never going to survive that way longterm anyway especially with a slight frame.

IMO this injury will still tank his 2013 season but hopefully he'll focus on becoming a more traditional dropback passer for longterm success and an ACL tear won't affect his passing.

Also, I think it was a bad decision at the time by Shanahan but an understandable one.

All Pro
    A team trades multiple high picks for a budding star that should be treated like gold - yet lets him play hurt getting more severely hurt on a POS field that makes Shea infield look like the Elysian fields
    (no not Hoboken NJ but Zeus')

but according to SOJFs the Jets are the organization that's dysfunctional

Veteran
    Well he wasn't very good to begin with. At least he has an excuse now when he sucks next year.

Sorry to see the kid get hurt, but he was anointed as a top player before he even did anything.

Better stop running the read option, otherwise he'll be back on the shelf by November.

The guy will spend at least 25% of his career on the shelf.

Great talent, but players like himself will never last for long. Never. This is going to happen to "Johnny Football", too, unless he changes his game. Cam Newton is different because he's gigantic. These guys are not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think Adrian Peterson and Wes Welker singlehandedly (or doublehandedly) changed the recovery period for ACL tears.

I've never heard a recovery time of 6 months quoted. I have a feeling that seeing those two guys recover as fast as they did will cause other guys to come back too quickly and cause setbacks.

Interested to see what Revis's rehab looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think Adrian Peterson and Wes Welker singlehandedly (or doublehandedly) changed the recovery period for ACL tears.

I've never heard a recovery time of 6 months quoted. I have a feeling that seeing those two guys recover as fast as they did will cause other guys to come back too quickly and cause setbacks.

Interested to see what Revis's rehab looks like.
    Remember too that Revis did "prehab" which is going to help speed up his recovery as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    ...at worst he becomes a dangerous and deadly accurate pocket passer. I'd still take him over what we have here now
    He'll be fine. If he were a deadly pocket passer he would gone at 1. Legs, and a deadly pocket passer only if McNabb or Vick could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Well he wasn't very good to begin with. At least he has an excuse now when he sucks next year.

Sorry to see the kid get hurt, but he was anointed as a top player before he even did anything.
    Please stop watching football. It'd obvious you have no idea how to assess a player.

RG3 had a 68% completion percentage with 20 TD passes and only 5 picks. AS A ROOKIE. Led his team to 6 straight wins (Cousins started the other win) and to a division title after a touch start. Yeah you're right, he wasn't very good at all.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Please stop watching football. It'd obvious you have no idea how to assess a player.

RG3 had a 68% completion percentage with 20 TD passes and only 5 picks. AS A ROOKIE. Led his team to 6 straight wins (Cousins started the other win) and to a division title after a touch start. Yeah you're right, he wasn't very good at all.
    Yeah he had a nice rookie campaign. Still completely overrated and never had a chance at long term success in the league. This just quickens his inevitable decline into bust hood.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Read an article on line yesterday. Thought about the Revis situation (about which I have seen nothing).
    On RECENT ACL operations at the pro level:
    20% NEVER play again.
    Of the remainder, a 30% reduction in overall function ability is lost.
    There are exceptions. Adrian Peterson who worked like an insane person. And Jerry Rice years ago - same scenario.
    It is all based on the desire to rehab. Very frustrating for the injured.
    It is all about how hard you work in rehab. This kid will do what he needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I'm very sorry this has happened to RGIII.

That aside, I'm SICK TO DEATH of Mark S. and all these other NFL vets talking about how fans don't get it about injuries in the NFL. Um, everyone in America could see how limited RGIII was right before he blew out his knee. He couldn't wait to get out of bounds on his sideline run.

I can understand letting him try to start the game but after he was hobbling someone should have had the sense to say, "you're injured. You can't run." and pulled him.

I know everyone bows down to Shanahan's genius, but you'd think he'd have the brains to realize how rare true, game-changing franchise QBs are in the NFL. Let's hope RGIII comes back better than ever.
    Hope the best for him with a speedy recovery. He was one of the shining lights in the regular season.