Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91

Thread: Jets to Interview Brian Gaine for GM

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,807
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Tiffany's according to whom? Do you or anyone else here know the difference for candidate A, B or C?

    Geez. Rex admitted he interviewed 2 guys for OC-Callahan and Sparano.

    How did limiting that search and picking 1 of your 2 interviews play out

    And if they were from Tiffany's why are they still on the shelf coming into this yr.
    I agree with you but that argument can be made for every single decision ever made in the NFL. Nobody on JI knows the difference. But we discuss them. And all we have is the opinions of "insiders" and the track record of their current team.

    I like that we are broadening our search but by all accounts the first group of candidates we were interviewing were among the best candidates. It seems we are moving into our "Plan B" candidates. Doesn't mean that we can't get lucky and find a gem. But it is what it is.

    Why was Bill Belichick our DC? Why didn't we just hire him instead of Parcells in 1997? That is the way the league works. Guys wait for their chance and try to make the most of it when they get it.

    If Tony speaks highly of him then I guess he is worth a look. I think Tony is very good at what he does and we need someone with Tony's eye for talent in the FO. But other than that all we have to judge these candidates on is the record of the teams they work for. Nobody is claiming it is an exact science. Of course a great GM can come from a sh*t team. Heck, Cohen might turn out to be a great GM for all we know. Nobody knows for sure. But nobody ever knows for sure so if we used that as a pre-requisite for discussion, there would be know discussions.

  2. #42
    At some point you guys might have been better off sticking with Tanny.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,237
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree with you but that argument can be made for every single decision ever made in the NFL. Nobody on JI knows the difference. But we discuss them. And all we have is the opinions of "insiders" and the track record of their current team.

    I like that we are broadening our search but by all accounts the first group of candidates we were interviewing were among the best candidates. It seems we are moving into our "Plan B" candidates. Doesn't mean that we can't get lucky and find a gem. But it is what it is.

    Why was Bill Belichick our DC? Why didn't we just hire him instead of Parcells in 1997? That is the way the league works. Guys wait for their chance and try to make the most of it when they get it.

    If Tony speaks highly of him then I guess he is worth a look. I think Tony is very good at what he does and we need someone with Tony's eye for talent in the FO. But other than that all we have to judge these candidates on is the record of the teams they work for. Nobody is claiming it is an exact science. Of course a great GM can come from a sh*t team. Heck, Cohen might turn out to be a great GM for all we know. Nobody knows for sure. But nobody ever knows for sure so if we used that as a pre-requisite for discussion, there would be know discussions.
    That's exactly what we did do in 1997.. You don't remember what happened after??

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Why was Bill Belichick our DC? Why didn't we just hire him instead of Parcells in 1997? That is the way the league works. Guys wait for their chance and try to make the most of it when they get it.
    Except when it's Pettine going to Buffalo, apparently...

  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That's exactly what we did do in 1997.. You don't remember what happened after??
    We hired Beli as our HC in 1997? That's news to me.

    *Edit* You are right. I was 10yo at the time. I did not realize the circumstances.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We hired Beli as our HC in 1997? That's news to me.
    Actually BB was hired as HC and Parcells as "consultant".

    http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/05/sp...-to-coach.html

  7. #47
    Wayne Chrebet ‏@waynechrebet
    I like Brian Gaine coming into the GM picture for the Jets. Played w him. Great football mind. Smart. Eager. I say Give the guy a chance.

  8. #48
    Good read

    http://www.lohud.com/article/2008051...lls-his-mentor

    When Brian Gaine was a practice-squad tight end with the Jets and Giants in the late 1990s, he found himself drawn to certain people in the organization. Surprisingly, none of them were wearing helmets or shoulder pads.

    The Pearl River native took an interest in how teams in the NFL were built and their day-to-day operations. Over the last decade, that interest has turned into a career.

    "As my career was coming to an end, I got exposed to the detail-oriented environment of both the coaching and also on the personnel and scouting end," Gaine said. "I got to speak to a few of the people involved in that profession, and that really piqued my interest."

    Since then, Gaine has become a front-office fast-tracker.

    In January, the 35-year-old was hired by the Miami Dolphins as their assistant director of player personnel. He had spent the past three seasons as assistant director of pro scouting with the Dallas Cowboys and six previous years in various scouting and player-development positions with the Jets.

    With the Dolphins, Gaine will supervise and direct the pro scouting department and soon will be integrated into the college player evaluations.

    Both are crucial positions within any organization, but especially now in Miami.

    The Dolphins are coming off a 1-15 season and are in the midst of a roster overhaul, a process Gaine is embracing.

    "I've always enjoyed and appreciated the idea of putting a roster and team together," said Gaine, who played at Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) and the University of Maine. "I enjoy dealing with the roster-management issues, the player acquisitions, the player addition and player evaluations. I like the idea of putting a team together and building a championship roster. Those challenges, I was always interested in that."

    Follow the chronology of Gaine's career, and there's an obvious pattern - wherever Bill Parcells goes, so does Gaine.

    In his first two years with the Jets, Gaine worked under Parcells as a member of the college scouting department (1999) and as manager of pro player development (2000).

    Gaine again was an aide to Parcells in 2005, the year Gaine worked directly with Jeff Ireland, the Cowboys' vice president of college and pro scouting. When Parcells was hired as Miami's vice president of football operations in December, Ireland was brought in as the Dolphins' general manager. Gaine soon followed.

    "The opportunity to learn and develop under Bill and Jeff Ireland, it's very much a mentor program," Gaine said. "They definitely take the time to show us how they want to do business. There's a ton to learn, and I have a lot more to learn. It's a tremendous opportunity."

    Gaine said his parents, and most of his family, still live in Rockland County, and that he visits often. He's especially close with his cousin, George Gaine, the varsity boys basketball coach at Tappan Zee High School.

    They speak often, having what Brian calls "heart-to-heart talks" about the program George is building.

    "We have a lot in common in what we're trying to do," Brian said. "We're trying to build championship teams that can sustain success long-term."

    Gaine's long-term goals are the same as those of any member of an NFL front office.

    "The pinnacle of our profession is to develop and grow to be a general manager in this league," he said. "But right now, I'm concerned with being the best assistant director of player personnel in the National Football League and on winning a championship here in Miami."

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wayne Chrebet ‏@waynechrebet
    I like Brian Gaine coming into the GM picture for the Jets. Played w him. Great football mind. Smart. Eager. I say Give the guy a chance.
    Well, if he's good enough for Wayne...

  10. #50
    I can totally see this GM search firm project thing going horribly wrong, not unlike any other #Jets decision ever made.

    I don't understand how Woody or any other NFL owner would not immediately know of at least 1, 2 or 3 up and coming guys in the football industry with skills and abilities that are needed in a good GM.

    In other words, why the hell are we interviewing a doz guys, and some dope from the Dolphins

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    I can totally see this GM search firm project thing going horribly wrong, not unlike any other #Jets decision ever made.

    I don't understand how Woody or any other NFL owner would not immediately know of at least 1, 2 or 3 up and coming guys in the football industry with skills and abilities that are needed in a good GM.

    In other words, why the hell are we interviewing a doz guys, and some dope from the Dolphins
    Because Woody, as has been pointed out here, is not a football person. So the fact that he has admitted it and is going for help is a good thing.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,841
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, if he's good enough for Wayne...
    I dunno about that.....


    #lotsofconcussions

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Because Woody, as has been pointed out here, is not a football person. So the fact that he has admitted it and is going for help is a good thing.
    How would you feel if he hired Brian Gaine

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    How would you feel if he hired Brian Gaine
    Okay.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Good read

    http://www.lohud.com/article/2008051...lls-his-mentor

    When Brian Gaine was a practice-squad tight end with the Jets and Giants in the late 1990s, he found himself drawn to certain people in the organization. Surprisingly, none of them were wearing helmets or shoulder pads.

    The Pearl River native took an interest in how teams in the NFL were built and their day-to-day operations. Over the last decade, that interest has turned into a career.

    "As my career was coming to an end, I got exposed to the detail-oriented environment of both the coaching and also on the personnel and scouting end," Gaine said. "I got to speak to a few of the people involved in that profession, and that really piqued my interest."

    Since then, Gaine has become a front-office fast-tracker.

    In January, the 35-year-old was hired by the Miami Dolphins as their assistant director of player personnel. He had spent the past three seasons as assistant director of pro scouting with the Dallas Cowboys and six previous years in various scouting and player-development positions with the Jets.

    With the Dolphins, Gaine will supervise and direct the pro scouting department and soon will be integrated into the college player evaluations.

    Both are crucial positions within any organization, but especially now in Miami.

    The Dolphins are coming off a 1-15 season and are in the midst of a roster overhaul, a process Gaine is embracing.

    "I've always enjoyed and appreciated the idea of putting a roster and team together," said Gaine, who played at Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) and the University of Maine. "I enjoy dealing with the roster-management issues, the player acquisitions, the player addition and player evaluations. I like the idea of putting a team together and building a championship roster. Those challenges, I was always interested in that."

    Follow the chronology of Gaine's career, and there's an obvious pattern - wherever Bill Parcells goes, so does Gaine.

    In his first two years with the Jets, Gaine worked under Parcells as a member of the college scouting department (1999) and as manager of pro player development (2000).

    Gaine again was an aide to Parcells in 2005, the year Gaine worked directly with Jeff Ireland, the Cowboys' vice president of college and pro scouting. When Parcells was hired as Miami's vice president of football operations in December, Ireland was brought in as the Dolphins' general manager. Gaine soon followed.

    "The opportunity to learn and develop under Bill and Jeff Ireland, it's very much a mentor program," Gaine said. "They definitely take the time to show us how they want to do business. There's a ton to learn, and I have a lot more to learn. It's a tremendous opportunity."

    Gaine said his parents, and most of his family, still live in Rockland County, and that he visits often. He's especially close with his cousin, George Gaine, the varsity boys basketball coach at Tappan Zee High School.

    They speak often, having what Brian calls "heart-to-heart talks" about the program George is building.

    "We have a lot in common in what we're trying to do," Brian said. "We're trying to build championship teams that can sustain success long-term."

    Gaine's long-term goals are the same as those of any member of an NFL front office.

    "The pinnacle of our profession is to develop and grow to be a general manager in this league," he said. "But right now, I'm concerned with being the best assistant director of player personnel in the National Football League and on winning a championship here in Miami."
    good find.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    I can totally see this GM search firm project thing going horribly wrong, not unlike any other #Jets decision ever made.

    I don't understand how Woody or any other NFL owner would not immediately know of at least 1, 2 or 3 up and coming guys in the football industry with skills and abilities that are needed in a good GM.

    In other words, why the hell are we interviewing a doz guys, and some dope from the Dolphins
    So tells us all you know about this "dope" from the dolphins. Please inform us about his experience, football knowledge, scouting skills.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Okay.
    Rex proved one thing, that he sucks as a head coach. Woody's first bad decision made right out of the box was in keeping him and drastically limiting himself in the GM search. Only an idiot would come here under these conditions. Not a good way to attract blue chip talent.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Rex proved one thing, that he sucks as a head coach. Woody's first bad decision made right out of the box was in keeping him and drastically limiting himself in the GM search. Only an idiot would come here under these conditions. Not a good way to attract blue chip talent.
    Nevertheless, Colonel Mustard, somebody is going to take the job.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Good read

    http://www.lohud.com/article/2008051...lls-his-mentor

    When Brian Gaine was a practice-squad tight end with the Jets and Giants in the late 1990s, he found himself drawn to certain people in the organization. Surprisingly, none of them were wearing helmets or shoulder pads.

    The Pearl River native took an interest in how teams in the NFL were built and their day-to-day operations. Over the last decade, that interest has turned into a career.

    "As my career was coming to an end, I got exposed to the detail-oriented environment of both the coaching and also on the personnel and scouting end," Gaine said. "I got to speak to a few of the people involved in that profession, and that really piqued my interest."

    Since then, Gaine has become a front-office fast-tracker.

    In January, the 35-year-old was hired by the Miami Dolphins as their assistant director of player personnel. He had spent the past three seasons as assistant director of pro scouting with the Dallas Cowboys and six previous years in various scouting and player-development positions with the Jets.

    With the Dolphins, Gaine will supervise and direct the pro scouting department and soon will be integrated into the college player evaluations.

    Both are crucial positions within any organization, but especially now in Miami.

    The Dolphins are coming off a 1-15 season and are in the midst of a roster overhaul, a process Gaine is embracing.

    "I've always enjoyed and appreciated the idea of putting a roster and team together," said Gaine, who played at Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) and the University of Maine. "I enjoy dealing with the roster-management issues, the player acquisitions, the player addition and player evaluations. I like the idea of putting a team together and building a championship roster. Those challenges, I was always interested in that."

    Follow the chronology of Gaine's career, and there's an obvious pattern - wherever Bill Parcells goes, so does Gaine.

    In his first two years with the Jets, Gaine worked under Parcells as a member of the college scouting department (1999) and as manager of pro player development (2000).

    Gaine again was an aide to Parcells in 2005, the year Gaine worked directly with Jeff Ireland, the Cowboys' vice president "
    Great find/post!

    I bet if you removed names and his current team this place would be jumping with "sign this guy Woody".
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Not as bad as Cohen, but not thrilled about this guy either.
    +1

    We learned nothing from bringing in Sparano and a host of scrubs from the Miami debacle?

    C Mart, please send your resume to Woody.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us