Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jets to Interview Brian Gaine for GM

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BrianCoz: Four GM openings left: Jets, Chiefs, Panthers, Browns #nyj

All I have
    Here is my ranking of the openings available:

Panthers - Great job if you love Cam Newton and an owner who will be in your business 24/7.

Jets - deferential owner who lets failures continue in his employ well past their expiration date; get a hand in revamping the coaching staff on the O side of the ball with a year to test drive Crazy A$$ Rex; and the QB position is yours to fill. But have to deal with the ridiculous NY media.

Chiefs - will be Reid's buttboy.

Browns - Worst position available. Joe Banner said he is hiring the coach before the GM, and it would be pretty tough to outperform the job Heckert did in compiling talent over the past few years.

Only the Jets and Panthers are hiring real GM's. Jets would probably be most people's second choice. So, my prediction is the Jets hire their GM after all of the good candidates find out who won the "I get to be Cam Newton's GM sweepstakes"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At nfl.com. Under Hot Gm candidates...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-gm-candidates

"Brian Gaine, Dolphins director of player personnel: Miami's instability notwithstanding, Gaine was part of constructing the Cowboys' talent-rich roster in the middle of the decade, sat next to Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland in the draft room in Miami, and has worked both small-picture (advance scouting) and big-picture (team building) parts of an operation. Gaine is well-regarded in the scouting community."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Panthers - Great job if you love Cam Newton and an owner who will be in your business 24/7.

Jets - deferential owner who lets failures continue in his employ well past their expiration date; get a hand in revamping the coaching staff on the O side of the ball with a year to test drive Crazy A$$ Rex; and the QB position is yours to fill. But have to deal with the ridiculous NY media.

Browns - Worst position available. Joe Banner said he is hiring the coach before the GM, and it would be pretty tough to outperform the job Heckert did in compiling talent over the past few years.

Only the Jets and Panthers are hiring real GM's. Jets would probably be most people's second choice. So, my prediction is the Jets hire their GM after all of the good candidates find out who won the "I get to be Cam Newton's GM sweepstakes"
    And Rivera is like Rex. Both have been announced by their teams as coming back as HC for 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We hired Beli as our HC in 1997? That's news to me.

*Edit* You are right. I was 10yo at the time. I did not realize the circumstances.

Yeah...Mumbles was named the head coach, and he quit and took the NE job the next day.

Thus we ended up with Al Groh, who after one season, left and went back to the college ranks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree 100%.
    Cleveland is the best job out there.
    You have a roster with alot of young talent especially on O-Line and Defense. Great cap situation and you get to pick your own HC.

All they need is a good coach and a couple of weapons on offense and suddenly they are a very good team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Disagree 100%.
    Cleveland is the best job out there.
    You have a roster with alot of young talent especially on O-Line and Defense. Great cap situation and you get to pick your own HC.

All they need is a good coach and a couple of weapons on offense and suddenly they are a very good team
    Not talking about which team will be best. I was speaking only to the Job itself. The Browns are set up for success. I said so in my post, but it is a Jr. GM job, not a real GM job. Joe Banner will be calling all the shots. And Banner said he is hiring the coach BEFORE he hires a GM. So, you don't get to hire the coach because you are not a real GM with Banner calling the shots. Banner will take and get the credit for success and he will blame the GM for any failures.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 01-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We hired Beli as our HC in 1997? That's news to me.

*Edit* You are right. I was 10yo at the time. I did not realize the circumstances.
    like whoa

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not talking about which team will be best. I was speaking only to the Job itself. The Browns are set up for success. I said so in my post, but it is a Jr. GM job, not a real GM job. Joe Banner will be calling all the shots. And Banner said he is hiring the coach BEFORE he hires a GM. So, you don't get to hire the coach because you are not a real GM with Banner calling the shots. Banner will take and get the credit for success and he will blame the GM for any failures.
    How do you know Banner will be selecting players?
    Even if he is selecting the coach, its the best job because the browns have the best young talent and most flexibility with cap room and high draft picks.

Best Job , hands down.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    How do you know Banner will be selecting players?
    Even if he is selecting the coach, its the best job because the browns have the best young talent and most flexibility with cap room and high draft picks.

Best Job , hands down.
    He's interviewing coaches as we speak, and has not spent one minute of any day addressing the GM opening. If he wanted a talented, smart GM he'd be interviewing them right now before they all take other jobs. What he wants is a guy to do the paperwork while he calls all the shots.

CLEVELAND -- The Browns are interviewing Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski for their coaching job, league sources confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Chudzinski, who has had two previous stints as an assistant with Cleveland, is visiting the team's facility in Berea, Ohio, on Wednesday.

His interview had earlier been reported by the Plain Dealer.

Owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner are in Week 2 of their search to find a "strong leader" to take over the Browns, who went 5-11 this season.

The Browns reportedly interviewed Marc Trestman, coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, on Tuesday.

After meeting with Chudzinski, the Browns are expected to interview Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The Colts have granted the Browns permission to speak with Arians, who has been hospitalized twice in recent days with an inner ear infection.

Arians fell ill on Sunday and had to miss the Colts' playoff loss to Baltimore.

Arians also has ties to the Browns, serving as their offensive coordinator from 2001-03.

Fox Sports reported the team will interview Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, the first known defensive coach to meet with the Browns.

The Browns met late last week with Chip Kelly but decided to reboot their search for a coach after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing the Oregon coach.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...nthers-sources
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 01-09-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If Woody learning the real way to operate an NFL franchise is a byproduct of this whole process, that's the best thing that will come out of this.
    Exactly, he has to be hearing common themes in these interviews, could be one of the reasons to hire the external recruiting firm, Woody admits that he needs support to hire the right person

can't stand waiting but our new OC was hired quick and that was a mistake, maybe the braintrust is learning...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RichCimini: Dolphins asst GM Brian Gaine will meet with Jets tomorrow. There could be other candidates as well. #Jets