Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A hypothetical...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A hypothetical...

Let's take the tweets and reports at face value, for a sec.

Imagine you are Woody Johnson. Your team just had an embarrassing season, and you fired your General Manager. You decide that you want to employ someone to help you in your search for a replacement. They suggest you interview Tom Gamble, Dave Caldwell, Tom Heckert, and Marc Ross. They also recommend you interview your Assistant General Manager, Scott Cohen as well. He comes with a decent resume, but he'd be a tough sell to your fans, so you go in expecting his interview to merely be a courtesy.

Heckert declines. Oh well, let's move on.

Caldwell comes in, and gives you a nice presentation. You are impressed with him. You wouldn't have a problem hiring him.

Then Tom Gamble shows up. You have high expectations for him going in, because Bill Polian highly recommended him. But he comes in, and really gives a weak interview. You're extremely disappointed as he leaves.

Marc Ross gives a so-so interview. Decent, but not really what you're looking for.

Then Cohen comes in. He explains how he didn't always agree with Tanny's approach, but respected him and did what Mike asked him to do to the best of his abilities. He paints a picture of how he sees this franchise under his watch. His approach to the draft, free agents, and contract negotiations are all well thought-out and he shows a true passion for what he feels the organization should look like. By the end of the interview, he has sold you on his vision. In your opinion, this is the man that you want to run the New York Jets.

But there's a problem. The media and your fanbase will destroy you if you choose him. What do you do? Do you hire a guy that you like less just to appease everyone, or do you look beyond that and hire the guy that you truly believe in?

(FYI, I'm not saying this is what is going on, just wondering what people think if this were the circumstances.)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post

Imagine you are Woody Johnson. Your team just had an embarrassing season, and you fired your General Manager. You decide that you want to employ someone to help you in your search for a replacement. They suggest you interview Tom Gamble, Dave Caldwell, Tom Heckert, and Marc Ross. They also recommend you interview your Assistant General Manager, Scott Cohen as well. He comes with a decent resume, but he'd be a tough sell to your fans, so you go in expecting his interview to merely be a courtesy.

Caldwell comes in, and gives you a nice presentation. You are impressed with him. You wouldn't have a problem hiring him.

Then Tom Gamble shows up. You have high expectations for him going in, because Bill Polian highly recommended him. But he comes in, and really gives a weak interview. You're extremely disappointed as he leaves.

Marc Ross gives a so-so interview. Decent, but not really what you're looking for.

Then Cohen comes in. He explains how he didn't always agree with Tanny's approach, but respected him and did what Mike asked him to do to the best of his abilities. He paints a picture of how he sees this franchise under his watch. His approach to the draft, free agents, and contract negotiations are all well thought-out and he shows a true passion for what he feels the organization should look like. By the end of the interview, he has sold you on his vision. In your opinion, this is the man that you want to run the New York Jets.

But there's a problem. The media and your fanbase will destroy you if you choose him. What do you do? Do you hire a guy that you like less just to appease everyone, or do you look beyond that and hire the guy that you truly believe in?

(FYI, I'm not saying this is what is going on, just wondering what people think if this were the circumstances.)
    Very logical and completely possible.

If he is the best candidate, and by best I mean thats what the Korn-Ferry guy thinks, then you take the fan backlash and do whats best for the organization.

If he is simply the best of what you have seen so far....you reach out to new people like brian gaine

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since Cohen's name was floated out there, I've been under the impression that it was just a trial-balloon. I think Woody was trying to see if he could get away with it, to be honest. I also believe Gamble's "poor interview" was him really telling Woody what a mess he has on his hands. Either way, your scenario or mine, I think we're gonna end up f***ed when the musical chairs stop.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the resume plus interview is what you go on. Some people have good interview but haven't produced in the past. We want to go with the candidate that is a can do type and personable enough to survive the NY media.

If Scott Cohen meets the criteria then you go with him. I personally don't know who is the best candidate based on criteria. But in the end you go with your gut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The x factor is what is a 'bad interview'?

Is it an interview where the guy states that the org is in shambles and needs a complete reboot and that includes the coach?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you say Gamble's interview was unimpressiveyou should really be saying that he disagreed with Woody's group think philosophy and that he was not going to take a job where he directly reported to a lame duck HC on the hot seat. A HC that only the owner ( not a football guy) can fire. It's an in winnable situation for any GM. You do well, it's the HC. Things to south and you are fired and lumped into being a member of the circus and won't find decent employment afterwards.

Don't believe it, what NFL team has contacted Tanny for ANY position?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To compare, our GM search is as has as if we were looking for a new HC with the mandate that they had to stick with Sanchez at QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    When you say Gamble's interview was unimpressiveyou should really be saying that he disagreed with Woody's group think philosophy and that he was not going to take a job where he directly reported to a lame duck HC on the hot seat. A HC that only the owner ( not a football guy) can fire. It's an in winnable situation for any GM. You do well, it's the HC. Things to south and you are fired and lumped into being a member of the circus and won't find decent employment afterwards.

Has Gamble been hired yet? If the ONLY thing holding Gamble back frmo getting a job was Woody being an idiot then you would thing some other team would have scooped up Gamble by now?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To compare, our GM search is as has as if we were looking for a new HC with the mandate that they had to stick with Sanchez at QB.
    The bears did the same thing last year and forced the new GM to keep Lovie Smith. The bears still managed to win 10 games this year. Stop acting like the Jets are doing something that has never been tried before.

Some of you guys sound like petulant children.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    If Scott Cohen meets the criteria then you go with him. I personally don't know who is the best candidate based on criteria. But in the end you go with your gut.
    I would agree with that, but the problem is, it looks like Woody's gut has been wrong on just about everything he's done with the Jets so far, from the stadium pricing/sales effort to the hype to fill the seats (Tebow). At some point, hopefully after this round if it doesn't work out, you just have to realize you're not good at it and step away either functionally, and remain as owner, or totally, and sell.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The x factor is what is a 'bad interview'?

Is it an interview where the guy states that the org is in shambles and needs a complete reboot and that includes the coach?
    No, the bad interview in this scenario means his vision for the franchise simply isn't what you feel will help the team be successful.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the end of the day if they hire Cohen I think it speaks volumes as to the state of the NY Jets. A couple of people have turned down interviews for the spot and now your on to the second tier of candidates. The longer you press this out the less likely you will be able to secure your OC. Turner will probably be gone by the time this GM is selected.

I think they're doing everything they can to the best of their abilities today. I just don't think it's as a desirable place to be from the outside looking in. And it doesn't help when your DC leaves for the same job in the same state.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    At the end of the day if they hire Cohen I think it speaks volumes as to the state of the NY Jets. A couple of people have turned down interviews for the spot and now your on to the second tier of candidates. The longer you press this out the less likely you will be able to secure your OC. Turner will probably be gone by the time this GM is selected.

I think they're doing everything they can to the best of their abilities today. I just don't think it's as a desirable place to be from the outside looking in. And it doesn't help when your DC leaves for the same job in the same state.
    Actually, only one has.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, but Gamble was at the top of the list for a bunch of teams (San Diego for sure, Jacksonville, and the Jets), and in each case the team went with someone else (Well, not the Jets, yet). Maybe he is just a poor interviewer, or didn't present some knowledge necessary.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I would agree with that, but the problem is, it looks like Woody's gut has been wrong on just about everything he's done with the Jets so far, from the stadium pricing/sales effort to the hype to fill the seats (Tebow). At some point, hopefully after this round if it doesn't work out, you just have to realize you're not good at it and step away either functionally, and remain as owner, or totally, and sell.
    Rex and Woody are talking a good story right now ie,. we are going to be unpredictable and come out swinging in all three phases of the game.

If Woody and Rex are all smoke and mirrors then we'll find out next year. 2014 depends a lot on what has happened in 2013. If we leg another egg in 2013 then Woody cleans house and our cap problem will at least be improved.

Congrats on being a mod.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post

Here's the thing. Woody is not a football man. Never was, never will be. He should base his choice on which candidate has the most experience and success. You think Belichik was hired based on his interview? Results do not lie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

NO WHERE does it say that the new GM will report to the HC. That is some moronic line of thinking contrived on this board.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Here's the thing. Woody is not a football man. Never was, never will be. He should base his choice on which candidate has the most experience and success. You think Belichik was hired based on his interview? Results do not lie.
    Didn't Bill Belichick have an average record until he got Brady. And I agree Mumbles also can't be judge by his demeanor.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Didn't Bill Belichick have an average record until he got Brady. And I agree Mumbles also can't be judge by his demeanor.
    Maybe even a below average record. But he was a damn good DC who deserved another shot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I agree.

That said, two other teams also passed on him. There has to be a reason.

And I guarantee that many of the same people complaining about why we haven't hired Gamble would be the first ones to point that out.

JI Complainer (before Gamble is hired): "Why haven't they hired Gamble? No one wants to come here!!"

JI Complainer (after Gamble is hired): "Why did other teams turn him down? He only came here because he couldn't get a job somewhere else. No one wants to come here!!"