Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Request Permission to Interview Jimmy Raye for GM

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a thought.

If the Jets hire Raye, that increases the chance of Norv coming here to be OC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind this. He has been with them since 1996 and has worked his way up. The article says he oversees both college and NFL scouting, so that is a plus. The Chargers have drafted very well, especially on offense, during his tenure. And I think Smith is a good GM so anything he learned from him is a plus. My only issue is why they let some of those guys like Jackson and Sproles leave, but that probably had very little to do with Raye.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If hiring him lures Norv, I'm all for it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    The Chargers really haven't drafted all that well since Buddy Nix left.

Buddy Nix became the Bills GM in 2009. The Chargers have 9 starters who were drafted or signed as rookie free agents since Nix left. Their roster has 38 players (including guys on IR) who who were drafted or signed as rookie free agents since Nix left.

ps. let's not forget that Nix's first ever draft pick was Aaron Maybin.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    The good news: It doesn't look like Cohen's getting the job.

The bad news: They've completely moved on from Gamble.
    Forget Korn/Ferry maybe woody should have hired the excellent firm Penny/Coles. I mean this seems like a knowledgable firm, with excellent information on all GM candidates.

We're sitting behind keyboards. We know naught of what is actually happening in these searches/interviews. Like a poster said- Gamble has been passed on by 3 teams!!!!! There must be something here.

I understand the frustration for having to wait, but Korn/Ferry and Woody are doing their due diligence. It seems they are not going to make an uniformed decision

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I don't think that's really bad news. With the Chargers signing a GM, that makes 3 teams (including the Jets) that have passed over him. That's very suspicious.
    Eh, not really. You gotta look at the context of things.

Jacksonville requested a 2nd interview with Gamble, but he turned them down. If the team wanted a 2nd interview, that probably means that they had some interest in him.

Gamble interviewed with SD late in the process. By then, they had a good idea of who they wanted. But we don't know what SD thought of Gamble.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Forget Korn/Ferry maybe woody should have hired the excellent firm Penny/Coles. I mean this seems like a knowledgable firm, with excellent information on all GM candidates.

We're sitting behind keyboards. We know naught of what is actually happening in these searches/interviews. Like a poster said- Gamble has been passed on by 3 teams!!!!! There must be something here.

I understand the frustration for having to wait, but Korn/Ferry and Woody are doing their due diligence. It seems they are not going to make an uniformed decision
    +1. It is hard, time consuming work to find the best person to fill the job. The "hot" candidate is not always the best, and I'm damn certain that most GM's try their best to prevent other teams from knowing which of their assistants is most valuable to them for as long as they possibly can.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post

Stay rustled.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Anyone know anything about Raye?
    Yes. She was a star of the small and big screen and in her later years used Polident Green.

(Not to be confused with six of one kind of green and three score and two of another kind)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Stay rustled.
    He's straight up fictional, don't worry.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Yes. She was a star of the small and big screen and in her later years used Polident Green.

(Not to be confused with six of one kind of green and three score and two of another kind)
    Great read on Martha.. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/martharaye.asp

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that Jimmy Raye would accept the Rex thing for one big reason. Raye has been with the Chargers organization for many years (17, I think). He was thought to be the favorite to be their GM, but has gotten passed for an outside candidate. If I were him, I would want out of that organization where there is no movement for growth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. Apparently the part about helping GIs is true, however
    her actual bona fides may have been fudged.

Some people like fake ones I guess

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raye would be a good hire. The main charge against AJ here is that he is a megalomaniac who obsessively goes for "character guys" rather than the BPA. He wants things done his way or nothing. Thus, firing Marty and hiring Norv. His drafts have also been pretty up and down over the years, but not because of scouting, but (at least seemingly) because of his ego. The Larry English pick, for example—a classic, I know better than everyone else pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Raye would be a good hire. The main charge against AJ here is that he is a megalomaniac who obsessively goes for "character guys" rather than the BPA. He wants things done his way or nothing. Thus, firing Marty and hiring Norv. His drafts have also been pretty up and down over the years, but not because of scouting, but (at least seemingly) because of his ego. The Larry English pick, for example—a classic, I know better than everyone else pick.
    Character guys are typically the ones who figure out ways to get better. That's why his drafts have been so consistent.

The English pick is the only one of several years that really didn't work out. Can't bat a thousand, none of them do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    would take raye over anyone from the dolphfags everyday.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He's straight up fictional, don't worry.
    Not this kid again..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant remember which Raye it was, but there was one Jimmy Raye who used to be with the Jets organization, and he was the guy that "they would go to the booth to" to see if they should challenge a play or not. He was absolutely terrible.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's beginning to feel like every GM candidate with the Jets tells the truth about the current state of affairs. When asked how to fix the Jets each candidate replies "Dump the QB and lose money, dump the HC and lose some more money. Dump the underperforming players and lose more money, maximize number of draft picks, suck for a year then be well positioned in 2014 and beyond." There is no 1 year fix for a problem that took 4-5 years to create. Woody doesn't want to accept this fact.