Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jets Request Permission to Interview Jimmy Raye for GM

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Well we can suck for a year and do the same thing at the end of next year. That is cut the QB, Coach, and players at the end of next season. So that reason makes no sense.
    Actually it makes perfect sense. This year the jets were not supposed to suck. Whereas next year people understand the jets will probably have to tear it down and rebuild. You can accept that year one with a new guy or just after a sb, but not year four with nothing to really show for it and a team that is in shambles. The Jets have not shown any growth. Team, players, coaches, all stagnant or getting worse and that more then anything is why most people are mad.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The rumors are he flunked the questions on the Cap. We need someone who is somewhat familiar with cap problems; in addition, knowledgeable in college personnel ie., scouting, front office job etc.
    You can read a rule book and figure out the cap. You need talent to spot talent and put together a winner. Hire an accountant stick him or her in a windowless room somewhere you don't need to make him or her the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Who are they NOT interviewing that they should be?
    I really don't understand the frustration. They are pretty much reaching out to every candidate to schedule an interview. Whatever GM Woody hires, I will judge 4-5 years from now, not before the guy is even bloody hired.

And one other thing that has been killing me are people on here who assume they know who the best candidate is (I don't claim I do), are a lot of the same people who thought Tanny was great a few years back (I admit I thought he was doing a great job)- Revis, Brick, Harris, Keller, Greene, Mangold. Trades for Cro, Tone. Picking up Braylon, Landry.
    In reality, if Sanchez played half as well as what people were expecting, the Jets would be in the playoffs, and this board wouldn't be exploding.
    Last edited by bgivs21; 01-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    I really don't understand the frustration. They are pretty much reaching out to every candidate to schedule an interview. Whatever GM Woody hires, I will judge 4-5 years from now, not before the guy is even bloody hired.

And one other thing that has been killing me are people on here who assume they know who the best candidate is (I don't claim I do), are a lot of the same people who thought Tanny was great a few years back (I admit I thought he was doing a great job)- Revis, Brick, Harris, Keller, Greene, Mangold. Trades for Cro, Tone. Picking up Braylon, Landry.
    In reality, if Sanchez played half as well as what people were expecting him to play, the Jets would be in the playoffs, and this board wouldn't be exploding.
    I agree. I was responding to an assertion that they we only interviewing jags for the job. They need to take the time to do this right. At this point they are only competing with the Panthers for GM candidates who really want to run a team. KC will hire someone to do Reid's bidding and Cleveland will hire someone to do the paperwork while Banner calls the shots (Tanny?).

All Pro
    Jimmy Raye seems like a decent choice

Those Charger teams were loaded in the 2000's. If they had a coach not named Schottenheimer or Turner they might have a SB ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-jimmy-raye/

Who knows anymore what the truth is?
    I hear ya. Thnx!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-jimmy-raye/

Who knows anymore what the truth is?
    They initially were believed to be ready to hire 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble. But word on the street is that Gamble’s interview didn’t go well. And while that shouldn’t necessarily matter to a guy’s ability to find players, it’s the primary tool for screening candidates for these jobs. Also, the inability to interview well won’t go over well for a team that is blessed/cursed by so much media attention.
    I don't give a crap if he's entertaining or not. I want a guy who can pick football players.

All Pro
    Raye would actually be a good choice, IMO. I think a lot of people, himself included, just more or less assumed he would get the Chargers job.

That's the way to sell it to him, if we want him - "it's not that we didn't have you on our list, it's just that we were sure the Chargers were going to promote you".

Good football man, with good experience. Hopefully the Chargers loss can be the Jets' gain.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Raye would actually be a good choice, IMO. I think a lot of people, himself included, just more or less assumed he would get the Chargers job.

That's the way to sell it to him, if we want him - "it's not that we didn't have you on our list, it's just that we were sure the Chargers were going to promote you".

Good football man, with good experience. Hopefully the Chargers loss can be the Jets' gain.
    Jets are actually extremely lucky there are so many good GM candidates out there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I don't give a crap if he's entertaining or not. I want a guy who can pick football players.

THIS.

They should hire a guy that can deal with the Jets CAP and hire Gamble to deal with the Jets TEAM NEEDS and Personnel.

I did not get a chance to read through the entire thread but does anyone else find it odd that the chargers already employ jimmy raye and were still looking for a general manager?

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    I did not get a chance to read through the entire thread but does anyone else find it odd that the chargers already employ jimmy raye and were still looking for a general manager?
    You only promote from withing for 2 reasons: 1) you've fired your GM solely for the purpose of promoting a can't miss, blow you away up an comer who you are afraid of losing to another team; or 2) to preserve continuity.

Clearly, while a good candidate, Raye is not considered a budding superstar.

When your GM resigns or retires, you hire from within for continuity. When you fire your GM and HC, as SD did, you hire from outside the organization because you want change, not continuity.

I don't get it. The 49'ers may have excellent talent but Gamble wasn't the GM and wasn't making the picks - do you or anyone else on this board have any real knowledge of his input - for all you know, Gamble may have advised against drafting Aldon Smith or Patrick Willis.
    Personality may have been the reason Woody found Gamble to have come up short, but it may be more likely that the interview revealed deficiencies (differences?) in Gamble's management skills, values, style, and/or work ethic.

All Pro

Unfortunately we have to bring in someone who can do their job AND deal with the Jet-hating sharks in the NY area media like Francesa and Myers

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    #Jets GM update: Forget Jimmy Raye. That's not happening. Interview never scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The rumors are he flunked the questions on the Cap. We need someone who is somewhat familiar with cap problems; in addition, knowledgeable in college personnel ie., scouting, front office job etc.
    I have a hard time with the cap questions scenario as far as knowing the rules.
    What i find more likely is that he told them that borrowing money from future years is something that he finds repugnant. Which is an opinion that Rex and Woody don't share.

Wanting somebody with more of a base in College scouting vs pro is something that I believe would hold him back. As Rex feels that he is as qualified as anyone to determine if an existing NFL player can fit into his system. Cro being a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Unfortunately we have to bring in someone who can do their job AND deal with the Jet-hating sharks in the NY area media like Francesa and Myers
    he does not have to do anything with the media, BB doesn't and the boston media is just as bad. Mangini didn't either. The owner is the one who believes the media can be manipulated to the jets benefit.

Here's an article that's not very enthusiastic about him for the GM job...

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...iew-jimmy-raye

"Raye has spent the last seventeen years in the San Diego front office. He has been Director of Player Personnel since 2008. The eight years before that, he was Director of College Scouting for the Chargers, and he was a scout before that.

I'm kind of mixed on Raye. During his time running the Draft, San Diego built one of the most talented rosters in the league. The Chargers hit on a lot of high caliber players. LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Bress, Quentin Jammer, Igor Olshansky, Philip Rivers (on a Draft day trade), Shaun Phillips, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Antonio Cromartie, and Marcus McNeill were among the players the team chose.

At the same time, there has been a big decline in their personnel in recent years since Raye got promoted. On top of this, the team that knows him best just passed him over for a general manager job. There don't seem to be many Chargers fans upset about that either.

I like Raye better than Scott Cohen or Brian Gaine, but hiring him would be kind of a letdown."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Here's an article that's not very enthusiastic about him for the GM job...

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...iew-jimmy-raye

"Raye has spent the last seventeen years in the San Diego front office. He has been Director of Player Personnel since 2008. The eight years before that, he was Director of College Scouting for the Chargers, and he was a scout before that.

I'm kind of mixed on Raye. During his time running the Draft, San Diego built one of the most talented rosters in the league. The Chargers hit on a lot of high caliber players. LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Bress, Quentin Jammer, Igor Olshansky, Philip Rivers (on a Draft day trade), Shaun Phillips, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Antonio Cromartie, and Marcus McNeill were among the players the team chose.

At the same time, there has been a big decline in their personnel in recent years since Raye got promoted. On top of this, the team that knows him best just passed him over for a general manager job. There don't seem to be many Chargers fans upset about that either.

I like Raye better than Scott Cohen or Brian Gaine, but hiring him would be kind of a letdown."
    A few things.

When did AJ Smith become GM

While Raye was in charge of college scouting they hit on draft picks. When he was moved away from that their draft suffered?

Also lets not ignore the difference between Marty Schott as HC vs Norv Turner. I'm leaning towards players being developed and coached better under Marty's watch then Norv's, and by alot!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    he does not have to do anything with the media, BB doesn't and the boston media is just as bad. Mangini didn't either. The owner is the one who believes the media can be manipulated to the jets benefit.
    No ones talking about BB or Mangini, please go follow your own team on your own board

the new GM will be targeted by SOJF whiners and Giants-centric press pukes, which are far more vicious (or as SOJFs spell it viscous) than the Boston scribes could ever be - this go round that guy has to be more adept than Tannenbaum in that regard