Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Hall of Fame: NO ONE gets elected in 2013

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I'm a Yankee fan and I think this is a joke. So because Piazza looked big and strong he is guilty of steroid use without proof? Nonsense.
    Punishing him by not being a first ballot HOF is dumb. So putting him on next time will make these guys feel better? He is easliy the 2nd or 3rd greatest catcher to ever play.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Is Piazza a first ballot HOF'er? I'm a Met fan, and I loved the guy, seemed like when we needed a big hit in a big game, he'd get one, but I don't know that he's a HOFer, let alone first ballot.
    He's the greatest hitting catcher to ever play the game.

If that's not first ballot, I don't know what is.

The BBWAA is a disgrace.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see the vote breakdown, but isn't it possible that no one got in because the 75% needed for any one guy was dispersed among the many eligible? I really don't know. However, I remember reading that sure-fire HOFers like Joe DiMaggio couldn't get in on their first eligibility simply because of a backlog of other retired stars that had been waiting, hence diluting the overall vote.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    He's the greatest hitting catcher to ever play the game.

If that's not first ballot, I don't know what is.

The BBWAA is a disgrace.
    I guess it's close - while he's definitely a top, if not the top offensive catcher, he's not in the conversation defensively. And I think 'first ballot' has a GOAT-type meaning attached to it, and I'm not sure he's that. But I don't know that any catcher ever was. I never saw Berra but both he and Bench were great players but not the greatest on their own team, etc.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it's close - while he's definitely a top, if not the top offensive catcher, he's not in the conversation defensively. And I think 'first ballot' has a GOAT-type meaning attached to it, and I'm not sure he's that. But I don't know that any catcher ever was. I never saw Berra but both he and Bench were great players but not the greatest on their own team, etc.
    Piazza absolutely belongs. And Bench was the greatest on his team in the early 1970's. Won MVP in 1970 and 1972.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Baseball can be such a snooty, elitist sport sometimes. The "baseball writers" act as if they are gods, give me a break. Diehard baseball fans in general can be insufferable to listen to.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Piazza absolutely belongs. And Bench was the greatest on his team in the early 1970's. Won MVP in 1970 and 1972.
    He belongs, no doubt. I was wondering whether he was a 'first ballot' guy, which seems to have a special meaning, all of the major HOFs seem to purposely let some guys slide past the first ballot, seems like a statement. Early 70's is just before my time, you're probably right - I didn't look it up. I remember the mid-70's teams where Rose was clearly the leader, Foster was the top HR/RBI guy IIRC, etc.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I didn't see the vote breakdown, but isn't it possible that no one got in because the 75% needed for any one guy was dispersed among the many eligible? I really don't know. However, I remember reading that sure-fire HOFers like Joe DiMaggio couldn't get in on their first eligibility simply because of a backlog of other retired stars that had been waiting, hence diluting the overall vote.
    This is a very good point.

Especially with the Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas class of next year. It's only going to get more backlogged.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    They should at least let Pete Rose in he just gambled..
    Nope, he should never get in. Gambling is a worse crime against the sport the steroids.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Piazza a first ballot HOF'er? I'm a Met fan, and I loved the guy, seemed like when we needed a big hit in a big game, he'd get one, but I don't know that he's a HOFer, let alone first ballot.
    Piazza is one of the top 5 catchers of all time. If he doesn't belong in the hall because he is "suspected" of roids then I dont know who does. This is not the Blacksox scandal where 3-4 players get banned from the hall your talking a decade of the best players in the game. Make a separate wing and call it the steroid era if you want but I'll go so far as to say a majority of the league was using. If you eliminate anyone for suspicion you'll end up with players like Kenny Loften and David Wells representing the 90s.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many players that abused anphetamines over their career? Probably more than one could imagine. I hate steroids and all PED's, but to differentiate steroid a users and anphetamine abusers is ridiculous.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Piazza is one of the top 5 catchers of all time. If he doesn't belong in the hall because he is "suspected" of roids then I dont know who does. This is not the Blacksox scandal where 3-4 players get banned from the hall your talking a decade of the best players in the game. Make a separate wing and call it the steroid era if you want but I'll go so far as to say a majority of the league was using. If you eliminate anyone for suspicion you'll end up with players like Kenny Loften and David Wells representing the 90s.
    Yeah, he's a HOF'er, I don't know why I wrote that, I think sometimes when a player is too familiar he doesn't have that 'hallowed' feel to you. I brushed up on his stats, compared to other catchers especially, no question. I was really more wondering if he was a sure-fire first-ballot guy in some people's minds here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love it, like I said in a different thread I hope they do it again next season. A two year ban on getting into the hall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even like Piazza but not voting the guy in is a travesty. The greatest hitting catcher doesn't get in based off suspicion. What kind of self righteous elitist bull**** is that?

These disgraceful buffoons should all have their voting privileges revoked. It is an absolute joke that Bonds, Clemens and Piazza didn't get in. I don't care if you liked their personalities or thought they were awful human beings. Nor do I give a **** about your opinion on steroids. Fact is none of these guys broke the rules of the game and they had the numbers to go in on a first ballot. On top of that you can't complain about cheating and keep a guy out of the HOF to "preserve the sanctity of the game" when its already filled with infamous cheats you hypocritical morons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I love it, like I said in a different thread I hope they do it again next season. A two year ban on getting into the hall.
    Yup, it would make total sense guys like Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas deserve to wait a year.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Going to be Hi-Larious wathing the pompous Baseball Writers try and write out of history the entire 2-3 decades of the "Steroid Era".

Better will the hypocricy and favoritism as they pick and choose who they "think" was dirty.

All the while lamenting how players of that era just weren;t as great as the previosu eras, you know, the one where they were all popping amphetamines like they were candy and rolled up tot he plate still drunk as **** fromt he night before, only to face HOF pitchers who uses every foreign substance in the book to doctor the ball....

LolBaseball.

Course, till the Football HOF lets in Klecko, it too can go DIAF frankly.
    +1

And I feel filthy because of it

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Nope, he should never get in. Gambling is a worse crime against the sport the steroids.
    +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Yup, it would make total sense guys like Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas deserve to wait a year.
    You either used or kept your mouth shut watching your teammates use. So yeah. They deserve it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Pete should be let in IMO. I get what he did was wrong but as a compulsive gambler I feel for him a bit. Sometimes it is something you can't control. The biggest argument is he put a black mark on the game. Well the black mark was more on him then the game in reality. It was never proven he threw games. Yeah he bet on himself as a manager but I think you have to judge him as a player in regards to the hall. His bat is already in the hall will it really hurt so much to give him a plate?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Pete should be let in IMO. I get what he did was wrong but as a compulsive gambler I feel for him a bit. Sometimes it is something you can't control. The biggest argument is he put a black mark on the game. Well the black mark was more on him then the game in reality. It was never proven he threw games. Yeah he bet on himself as a manager but I think you have to judge him as a player in regards to the hall. His bat is already in the hall will it really hurt so much to give him a plate?
    I think he will get in but MLB will wait until there is no chance he can wear a uniform on the field again working on a coaching staff