Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

It’s worth posting once again:

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Hold your horses everybody, wasn't it just last week when it seemed as if Gamble was a lock as the next GM?

All that twitter stuff is nothing but a bunch of horse **** for it's far too early to crown Popp as the next heir apparent
    Now, being from Montreal, I can say that the Jets would do no wrong with a guy like Popp for he has extensive experience in running a football organization from A to Z. Not only has he a keen eye for spotting "diamonds in the rough", he's a winner.

If he would be able to bring in Mark Trestman as his O/C, not only would we then have a guy that can open up the offense into an attack style offense, as Rex Put it the other day, the Jets would also have their next H/C in waiting with Trestman on its staff.

But these are the Jets we are talkin about, and sorry to be speaking like a SOJ fan, the Jets of course would never hire this guy in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    It’s worth posting once again:
    But as I said there are not that many ways for the Jets to mess this up.

They don't want Scott Cohen to be the GM, they would have hired him already if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Didier Orméjuste ‏@DidierRDS
    Jim Popp: "I love my job w/#Alouettes. I would like the challenge of turning the #NYJ around and bring them to the playoffs. It's New York."

HIRE HIM WOODY
    I'm getting on this Popp-train! Woody make it happen!!

Hall Of Fame
    Jim Popp: "I love my job w/#Alouettes. I would like the challenge of turning the #NYJ around and bring them to the playoffs. It's New York."

HIRE HIM WOODY
    I might've just popped.

Veteran

HIRE HIM WOODY
    This is a guy who gets it and wants it! He's been hugely successful and wants a new challenge. He understands that this is New York, that there is pressure, but he is confident in his own abilities. We need this guy!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The organization would get shredded for bringing in a CFL guy. Theres plenty of qualified candidates working in the NFL ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The organization would get shredded for bringing in a CFL guy. Theres plenty of qualified candidates working in the NFL ranks
    A lot of NFL guys like Ernie Accorsi and Steve Mariucci say this guy is good.

By the way, were the Vikings laughed at when Bud Grant was brought in?

Plus the organization has been shredded already. What more can they do?

However the reason they are waiting and interviewing the other candidates first from the NFL and if none of them blows them away then they will hire this guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Name some that stand out from the crowd and have a resume that is better than 3 playoffs in 7 years including two AFCCG.

Banned
    We'll get shredded by the media no matter who is the GM.

Veteran
    I'm far from being a Woody fan but I'll say this about him - he goes with the courage of his convictions. He could care less what the media thinks of Rex, Rex is his guy. If he thinks Popp is his guy, he'll hire Popp, media be damned!.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    +1

Veteran
    A lot of NFL guys like Ernie Accorsi and Steve Mariucci say this guy is good.

By the way, were the Vikings laughed at when Bud Grant was brought in?

Plus the organization has been shredded already. What more can they do?

However the reason they are waiting and interviewing the other candidates first from the NFL and if none of them blows them away then they will hire this guy.
    But what do they know?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Name some that stand out from the crowd and have a resume that is better than 3 playoffs in 7 years including two AFCCG.
    Huh? We're talking about Popp right? Not sure what the two AFCCG game thing means.

My point is that CFL experience isn't the same as NFL experience. Would prefer someone from a successful NFL franchise

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Probably right

Jets Insider VIP
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Pure nonsense.

This goes right along with the old and very outdated thought that experience is everything. I've seen so many guys elevated to jobs because they had experience that were not half as smart nor half as competent as a person with no experience in a field.

The basic tenants of being a smart GM are the same for any league and the talent level between CFL and NFL is not so gaping that it is a major problem.

I would understand if NFL teams felt that Popp must get a job in a front office other than GM for a few years to build that resume but to outright dismiss him due to being from the CFL is the same foolish thinking that makes teams pass of guys like Cam Wake.
    You are arguing something completely different. Cameron Wake was a player who was able to adjust to the league and have a huge impact and it took years for him to develop in the CFL to become that player. He developed technique along with his athleticism it eventually led to him being NFL ready. To know if he's NFL ready is a talent evaluator's job but whether or not he worked out in the NFL ultimately depended on Cameron Wake. Some players don't have the confidence, ability to adjust their games, or are just trapped in the wrong system that don't utilize their strengths and they end up not working out. Sometimes that doesn't all fall on a talent evaluator it ultimately depends on the player himself adjusting along with the coaches. The scout could have made a great call on a player but everything else around it failed.

In this case you're talking about a GM who's evaluating talent and building a successful franchise in a B level league. To put a quality unit on the field and establish success you have to understand not just your players but all the players around you in the league. He's evaluating talent for the CFL. I'm not saying it won't translate to the NFL AT ALL. I'm saying you're taking a HUGE risk. Fielding NFL ready talent is completely different from fielding CFL talent. The discreprancy between NFL players and their talent level is so small it takes years to notice the distinction. Not just that its also understand fielding your talent to fit your system and ultimately to counter other systems you're competing against. Sometimes you have to fail 3 or 4 times to know what you really need to get it right. This is where the experience is crucial.

Also SMH to whoever asked if I think he'll take a 7th rounder with the 9th pick. Its a dumb question that isn't related to anything I've said. GM's have to do more than pick solid 1st -3rd rounders. If they hit BIG yeah they'll get rewarded and build accolades but the best GM's are one's that trade talent right before they see it declining before anyone else does and get value for it, knowing when to trade picks for certain players they need as essential pieces, drafted late, and also working the cap properly to leave flexibility for your team's future. This isn't just a job where you gotta hope a guy can spot a good college player from round 1-3 ... or even 3-5... I'm surprised some of you guys are so sold on this guy. Especially because a few NFL network guys are spazzing and the super power Carolina Panthers were blown away in an interview. J.I was crazy about Gamble until his interview skills were in question. Turn around and "LETS HIRE THIS GUY THE PANTHERS WERE BLOWN AWAY IN AN Interview oh and he's been a big hit in the CFL" ... SMH ... so the search has ended? LOL ..hilarious

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    You are arguing something completely different. Cameron Wake was a player who was able to adjust to the league and have a huge impact and it took years for him to develop in the CFL to become that player. He developed technique along with his athleticism it eventually led to him being NFL ready. To know if he's NFL ready is a talent evaluator's job but whether or not he worked out in the NFL ultimately depended on Cameron Wake. Some players don't have the confidence, ability to adjust their games, or are just trapped in the wrong system that don't utilize their strengths and they end up not working out. Sometimes that doesn't all fall on a talent evaluator it ultimately depends on the player himself adjusting along with the coaches. The scout could have made a great call on a player but everything else around it failed.

In this case you're talking about a GM who's evaluating talent and building a successful franchise in a B level league. To put a quality unit on the field and establish success you have to understand not just your players but all the players around you in the league. He's evaluating talent for the CFL. I'm not saying it won't translate to the NFL AT ALL. I'm saying you're taking a HUGE risk. Fielding NFL ready talent is completely different from fielding CFL talent. The discreprancy between NFL players and their talent level is so small it takes years to notice the distinction. Not just that its also understand fielding your talent to fit your system and ultimately to counter other systems you're competing against. Sometimes you have to fail 3 or 4 times to know what you really need to get it right. This is where the experience is crucial.

Also SMH to whoever asked if I think he'll take a 7th rounder with the 9th pick. Its a dumb question that isn't related to anything I've said. GM's have to do more than pick solid 1st -3rd rounders. If they hit BIG yeah they'll get rewarded and build accolades but the best GM's are one's that trade talent right before they see it declining before anyone else does and get value for it, knowing when to trade picks for certain players they need as essential pieces, drafted late, and also working the cap properly to leave flexibility for your team's future. This isn't just a job where you gotta hope a guy can spot a good college player from round 1-3 ... or even 3-5... I'm surprised some of you guys are so sold on this guy. Especially because a few NFL network guys are spazzing and the super power Carolina Panthers were blown away in an interview. J.I was crazy about Gamble until his interview skills were in question. Turn around and "LETS HIRE THIS GUY THE PANTHERS WERE BLOWN AWAY IN AN Interview oh and he's been a big hit in the CFL" ... SMH ... so the search has ended? LOL ..hilarious
    Oh my god I'm not reading this

Put it to you guys this way, any candidate who outright says he wants to be the GM of ANY team has almost no chance of being picked. Nobody screws their leverage over with a statement like that. Especially some CFL relative unknown type.

This. Knowing how to win if the thing I am looking for. And competence.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/jim-popp

He's now my choice. Why? Because he's been successful running an organization (granted it's not the NFL, but the skills may translate), which can't be said about any of the other guys we're looking at.

Maybe it's time to think outside the box? Why not at least interview the guy? He could bring Marc Trestman with him as OC or QB coach.
    I have to say after reading up on this guy last night, Popp is probably the most intriguing GM candidate the Jets have talked to, the man has had nothing but success as a GM - albeit in the CFL.

I would give him a shot.