Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    This really rustled my jimpopps.
    Mine hurt too!

All League
    Perfect Resume -
    Great Interview -
    Gordon Gekko look -

This sounds like a good idea, what's the catch?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    You are arguing something completely different. Cameron Wake was a player who was able to adjust to the league and have a huge impact and it took years for him to develop in the CFL to become that player. He developed technique along with his athleticism it eventually led to him being NFL ready. To know if he's NFL ready is a talent evaluator's job but whether or not he worked out in the NFL ultimately depended on Cameron Wake. Some players don't have the confidence, ability to adjust their games, or are just trapped in the wrong system that don't utilize their strengths and they end up not working out. Sometimes that doesn't all fall on a talent evaluator it ultimately depends on the player himself adjusting along with the coaches. The scout could have made a great call on a player but everything else around it failed.

In this case you're talking about a GM who's evaluating talent and building a successful franchise in a B level league. To put a quality unit on the field and establish success you have to understand not just your players but all the players around you in the league. He's evaluating talent for the CFL. I'm not saying it won't translate to the NFL AT ALL. I'm saying you're taking a HUGE risk. Fielding NFL ready talent is completely different from fielding CFL talent. The discreprancy between NFL players and their talent level is so small it takes years to notice the distinction. Not just that its also understand fielding your talent to fit your system and ultimately to counter other systems you're competing against. Sometimes you have to fail 3 or 4 times to know what you really need to get it right. This is where the experience is crucial.

Also SMH to whoever asked if I think he'll take a 7th rounder with the 9th pick. Its a dumb question that isn't related to anything I've said. GM's have to do more than pick solid 1st -3rd rounders. If they hit BIG yeah they'll get rewarded and build accolades but the best GM's are one's that trade talent right before they see it declining before anyone else does and get value for it, knowing when to trade picks for certain players they need as essential pieces, drafted late, and also working the cap properly to leave flexibility for your team's future. This isn't just a job where you gotta hope a guy can spot a good college player from round 1-3 ... or even 3-5... I'm surprised some of you guys are so sold on this guy. Especially because a few NFL network guys are spazzing and the super power Carolina Panthers were blown away in an interview. J.I was crazy about Gamble until his interview skills were in question. Turn around and "LETS HIRE THIS GUY THE PANTHERS WERE BLOWN AWAY IN AN Interview oh and he's been a big hit in the CFL" ... SMH ... so the search has ended? LOL ..hilarious
    Pulitzer Pete strikes again!

Als GM admits he wants NFL job

By Herb Zurkowsky, The Gazette January 10, 2013

MONTREAL — For the second time in as many years, the Canadian Football League’s most successful general manager has been forced to deal with the disappointment of being left at the altar.

And Jim Popp isn’t masking his feelings.

“You’re damn straight, I’m disappointed,” Popp told The Gazette in an exclusive interview late Wednesday from his home in Mooresville, N.C., hours after learning he hadn’t become the GM of the National Football League’s Carolina Panthers.

“I’m definitely not happy I didn’t get it,” added Popp, the Alouettes’ GM since the franchise returned to the CFL in 1996. “It’s like being in the Super Bowl and not winning. That’s the honest truth. I’m not happy. I would like to be a general manager in the NFL. Absolutely. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be looking at these jobs.

“That being said,” he quickly added, “I have a great job. Montreal’s my second home.”

Popp interviewed with the Panthers for more than four hours on Tuesday, one of four candidates the team reportedly met before settling on David Gettleman, the New York Giants’ former director of pro personnel. Gettleman, 61, has been a part of six Super Bowl teams, including three championship clubs.

Popp, 48, has won three Grey Cups with the Als, another with the Baltimore Stallions, the franchise that transferred to Montreal.

Last January, Popp was one of four who interviewed to become GM of the Indianapolis Colts, the team ultimately deciding upon Ryan Grigson. And in May 2010, Popp spurned an opportunity to join the Washington Redskins’ personnel department.

Popp told The Gazette the Panthers weren’t the only NFL team this winter he had been approached by, stating two other teams expressed interest in him as a potential GM. Indeed, the New York Daily News reported Popp is on the New York Jets’ radar. Although the paper stated it wasn’t known whether an interview has been scheduled, a source familiar with the process told The Gazette Popp already has met with team officials.

The other team that approached Popp isn’t known. However, according to another source, it wasn’t the Cleveland Browns, who remain in the market for a GM. The Browns reportedly interviewed Montreal head coach Marc Trestman on Tuesday — one day after Trestman spent more than eight hours in Chicago, being interviewed by the Bears.

On Thursday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt was being interviewed for a second time by the Browns, then late Thursday night reported the team had hired Panthers offensive coordinator (and former Browns offensive coordinator) Rob Chudzinski to be its next head coach.

It’s clear Popp’s getting more recognition in the U.S. as time passes, and it seems only a matter of time before an NFL team hires him. On Wednesday, Steve Mariucci, the former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions Tweeted: “Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL!!!! Mark my words!”

Whether that opportunity comes with the Jets, who are in the midst of meeting with an army of candidates, remains to be seen. And, if offered the job, whether Popp would accept. New York’s incoming GM will be saddled with numerous headaches. He would be forced to inherit head coach Rex Ryan, for starters, unable to hire his own candidate. Also, according to ESPN, the Jets are $19.4 million over the salary cap and must release several players.

The Panthers’ job would have been ideal for Popp, who resides 25 minutes from the team’s practice facility. He called it, potentially, an ideal position.

“It would have been almost a dream come true ... right there in my hometown,” he said. “Lots of people are qualified. You never know. When you get that chance, and have multiple chances ... if you’re one of six selected to be interviewed, it’s quite a privilege, let alone be considered.

“Ryan Grigson has done an outstanding job,” Popp added. “If I was that close to getting it and they chose Ryan ... that could have been me. The Colts did a great job. Now we’ll see how the Panthers do.”

Popp, of course, is wondering what he might have done differently the last two years to have been hired in either Indianapolis and Carolina. And, he added, with each interview, he becomes more confident with the process.

“They (the Panthers) told me I couldn’t have done anything different,” said Popp, who learned of the decision from president Danny Morrison about an hour before the team announced its hiring. “Maybe I was better than expected, but they chose somebody else. You have to accept it and move on.

“Most of those guys they’re interviewing, I have a lot more experience than they do at a number of jobs you’re asked to do. I have that experience. I’m not sure they know what to do with that.”

Popp said he can remain content in Canada, having spurned opportunities to work in the NFL in lower-ranking capacities. Of course, he added, had he taken a personnel job, he might eventually have been promoted to GM.

His plan is to return to the Als, as it is every winter. He hasn’t stopped working, planning, and scouring North America for players. But he also wants NFL owners aware of one thing: “I think I have a lot to offer a team.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...444/story.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-12-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Should Popp depart, however, the ramifications would be more severe.

While Popp has the GM’s title, his true strength lies in scouting and recruitment. His assistant, Marcel Desjardins, monitors the salary cap and conducts contract negotiations, with Popp residing fulltime in North Carolina. Desjardins would be the obvious choice to replace Popp, but he’s a candidate to become GM of the expansion franchise in Ottawa, scheduled to begin play in 2014. Desjardins had his second interview with team officials on Monday.

Even while Popp’s exploring NFL job opportunities, he already has started contemplating potential successors to Trestman, should that become necessary.

Not only is Popp a native of North Carolina, Ernie Accorsi, who’s familiar with Popp, is serving as a Panthers’ consultant. Accorsi is a former GM with the Giants and Browns. Popp’s late father, Joe, was an assistant coach with Cleveland.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...787/story.html

Interesting that Popp resides in N.C. year around...His lack of contract/cap experience could be holding him back...He might be better suited as a Director of Personnel...But I'd still like him if you had a strong cap guy..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Should Popp depart, however, the ramifications would be more severe.

While Popp has the GM’s title, his true strength lies in scouting and recruitment. His assistant, Marcel Desjardins, monitors the salary cap and conducts contract negotiations, with Popp residing fulltime in North Carolina. Desjardins would be the obvious choice to replace Popp, but he’s a candidate to become GM of the expansion franchise in Ottawa, scheduled to begin play in 2014. Desjardins had his second interview with team officials on Monday.

Even while Popp’s exploring NFL job opportunities, he already has started contemplating potential successors to Trestman, should that become necessary.

Not only is Popp a native of North Carolina, Ernie Accorsi, who’s familiar with Popp, is serving as a Panthers’ consultant. Accorsi is a former GM with the Giants and Browns. Popp’s late father, Joe, was an assistant coach with Cleveland.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...787/story.html

Interesting that Popp resides in N.C. year around...His lack of contract/cap experience could be holding him back...He might be better suited as a Director of Personnel...But I'd still like him if you had a strong cap guy..
    this guy lives in his hometown of Mooresville NC. A northern suburb of Charlotte.

he MUST be very southern in his ways as Mooresville is very country.

Not sure he'd be a good fit in NY. I have visions of him commuting home etc. This ain't the CFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Huh? We're talking about Popp right? Not sure what the two AFCCG game thing means.

My point is that CFL experience isn't the same as NFL experience. Would prefer someone from a successful NFL franchise
    As is the difference between actually being the GM who runs the whole show and being an assistant or a guy that just handles certain parts of the job. Popp has run the show for years and has dealt with multple coaches over a number of years. Some of these other guys while working the NFL have never been a gm. In any case it would be a real long shot because I do agree the Jets would prefer an NFL guy.

Posting. But it goes against previous reports that he hasn't been interviewed, just talked to. Sensing some self promotion to keep his name in NFL circles as much as I would like him to be considered.

@HerbZurkowsky1: For those wondering, #Als' GM Jim Popp remains in the New York Jets' mix - that, according to Popp, who texted me tonight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Posting. But it goes against previous reports that he hasn't been interviewed, just talked to. Sensing some self promotion to keep his name in NFL circles as much as I would like him to be considered.

@HerbZurkowsky1: For those wondering, #Als' GM Jim Popp remains in the New York Jets' mix - that, according to Popp, who texted me tonight.
    I like this guy's moxie.

But I'm afraid his personality might be too strong for Rexie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I like this guy's moxie.

But I'm afraid his personality might be too strong for Rexie.
    Oh I like him. It just seems he's promoting himself to keep his name alive. But I sure do hope I'm wrong.

I'm getting cynical over who is reporting some candidates and their motives.

Shefter with ties to Denver and most likely close to Sunquist. And Popp trying desperately to get a NFL GM gig

Too bad because I'd put both right at the top of my list for who I'd want Woody to hire.

Oh I like him. It just seems he's promoting himself to keep his name alive. But I sure do hope I'm wrong.

I'm getting cynical over who is reporting some candidates and their motives.

Shefter with ties to Denver and most likely close to Sunquist. And Popp trying desperately to get a NFL GM gig

Too bad because I'd put both right at the top of my list for who I'd want Woody to hire.
    Keep his name alive for what purpose? There's only us and the Browns.

I love the attitude, but is he qualified to run an NFL franchise?

The only reason I'm not sure about him is that being a Canadian GM isn't the same as being an NFL GM.

The difference between getting it right, and having a bust in the NFL is such a fine line in so many cases, that it's 100 times tougher than the Canadian league.

By that I mean most NFL level players are elite players. So you are either elite, or you're not in the NFL. In Canada, they're picking from players who are good to very good. It's much easier to evaluate talent at that level.

I'm not saying he isn't qualified. I'm just wondering if he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Keep his name alive for what purpose? There's only us and the Browns.
    2014 and beyond.