Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 233

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

  1. #101
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    No saying I do I'm just laughing at the fact that our minds change quickly
    Personally I've been on board (and others) with Popp since learning about him in the 1/1/13 Tweets thread from a La Confora tweet ...

  2. #102
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hold your horses everybody, wasn't it just last week when it seemed as if Gamble was a lock as the next GM?

    All that twitter stuff is nothing but a bunch of horse **** for it's far too early to crown Popp as the next heir apparent
    .
    Now, being from Montreal, I can say that the Jets would do no wrong with a guy like Popp for he has extensive experience in running a football organization from A to Z. Not only has he a keen eye for spotting "diamonds in the rough", he's a winner.

    If he would be able to bring in Mark Trestman as his O/C, not only would we then have a guy that can open up the offense into an attack style offense, as Rex Put it the other day, the Jets would also have their next H/C in waiting with Trestman on its staff.

    But these are the Jets we are talkin about, and sorry to be speaking like a SOJ fan, the Jets of course would never hire this guy in a million years.

  3. #103
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Personally I've been on board (and others) with Popp since learning about him in the 1/1/13 Tweets thread from a La Confora tweet ...
    His association with WALT MICHAELS makes him my favorite!

  4. #104
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    Steve Mariucci ‏@SteveMariucci

    Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL !!!! Mark my words !
    Retweeted by Herb Zurkowsky

    Time to jump on the bandwagon!!
    It's time to Hop on Popp!

  5. #105
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Writing off a candidate because they're currently employed in another football league without knowing the candidate's credentials or accomplishments is asinine. That was my point.
    I think people are writing him off because he has NO experience in the NFL, he's been GM of a verision of football that has entirely different rules and different skillsets than the NFL. He's would be going from a league with a salary cap of $4.5M to a cap of $130M. He seems like an interesting choice, and I've heard good things about him. But this is a similar jump to going from the SEC to the NFL.

    He might be the first GM in history with no NFL experience before becoming General Manager.

  6. #106
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's the root of all thats evil, but you can call him Cookie.

  7. #107
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    SOmething interesting has come to my attention. Here is some of Brian Bassett's concerns on Jim Popp:

    I think there are a few concerns with somebody like Popp. First is the lack of NFL experience. He has never worked in the league. While he has an eye for talent, there are simply different qualities needed in players in the Canadian and American games. At the risk of overgeneralizing, speed is at a greater premium and size less so in the Canadian league. The field is a lot bigger, teams only have three downs to get a first down instead of four, and the game is more wide open. Because of the bigger field, quarterbacks tend to be more mobile and need less arm strength to zip it into tight windows. The overall talent level is much better in the NFL. You would hope Popp wouldn't be looking at the same players in the NFL that he would in the CFL.

    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those 2 points describe what the NFL is becoming now. A speed game with mobile quarterbacks.

  8. #108
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    SOmething interesting has come to my attention. Here is some of Brian Bassett's concerns on Jim Popp:

    I think there are a few concerns with somebody like Popp. First is the lack of NFL experience. He has never worked in the league. While he has an eye for talent, there are simply different qualities needed in players in the Canadian and American games. At the risk of overgeneralizing, speed is at a greater premium and size less so in the Canadian league. The field is a lot bigger, teams only have three downs to get a first down instead of four, and the game is more wide open. Because of the bigger field, quarterbacks tend to be more mobile and need less arm strength to zip it into tight windows. The overall talent level is much better in the NFL. You would hope Popp wouldn't be looking at the same players in the NFL that he would in the CFL.

    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those 2 points describe what the NFL is becoming now. A speed game with mobile quarterbacks.
    Bassett was the one who tweeted last week that hiring Gamble was a done deal.

    The taint between my @sshole and nutsack is more credible than he is.

  9. #109
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Popp is smart enough to know the differences in the games. What he may bring is the eye for guys who can fill rolls that get passed over by conventional thinking.

    The CFL had slot receivers and then smaller LB's to cover more because the league was so pass orientated before it became popular here.

    I think the principles of success are similar in both leagues. One every very strong point about Popp and the way he kept his team strong was developing players and then having them ready to play if the team had injuries or when a vet was starting to fail. This is one thing the current Jets have been absurdly bad at.

    When Mangold got hurt the year before last and our backup had gone down in early preseason we are forced to poach a guy off another teams psquad and start him next game with predictable disasterous results.

    This past year we have some WR injuries and instead of bringin up one of our psquad guys we are going after jags like Hill to fill in.

    We have an injury at Rb and instead of having a psquad guy ready we have to sign a jag like Khalil Bell.

    The size of the salary cap is one big issue but I have zero worries he will be canadianized to the point he will try and build a CFL team. Another skill the guy has is he has been able to work with a variety of coaches with very different styles and personalities.

    The basic tenants of being a good GM are the same for any league. It's a long shot that he will get serious consideration because the Jets are about optics but I think he's be a good choice non the less.

  10. #110
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Popp is smart enough to know the differences in the games. What he may bring is the eye for guys who can fill rolls that get passed over by conventional thinking.

    The CFL had slot receivers and then smaller LB's to cover more because the league was so pass orientated before it became popular here.

    I think the principles of success are similar in both leagues. One every very strong point about Popp and the way he kept his team strong was developing players and then having them ready to play if the team had injuries or when a vet was starting to fail. This is one thing the current Jets have been absurdly bad at.

    When Mangold got hurt the year before last and our backup had gone down in early preseason we are forced to poach a guy off another teams psquad and start him next game with predictable disasterous results.

    This past year we have some WR injuries and instead of bringin up one of our psquad guys we are going after jags like Hill to fill in.

    We have an injury at Rb and instead of having a psquad guy ready we have to sign a jag like Khalil Bell.

    The size of the salary cap is one big issue but I have zero worries he will be canadianized to the point he will try and build a CFL team. Another skill the guy has is he has been able to work with a variety of coaches with very different styles and personalities.

    The basic tenants of being a good GM are the same for any league. It's a long shot that he will get serious consideration because the Jets are about optics but I think he's be a good choice non the less.

  11. #111
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up for Popp. I like the outside the box pick on this one. Let's take a chance. We have nothing to lose at this point.

  12. #112
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign him now. Nothing to lose. Guy looks like a winner.

  13. #113
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    An analogy for Popp might be how you view small college players before the draft. The questions usually start with, Was he able to dominate his level of competition? In this case the answer is a resounding YES!!! You than look at his skill set. Popp has done it all. I think he's more of a sure thing than a hot shot assistant who has never been in charge of anything. He's not a retread that's failed somewhere else. I'm just hoping we hear some definite news about an interview coming up.

  14. #114
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Common Woody, make it Poop!

  15. #115
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Common Woody, make it Poop!
    Spell check, two girls one cup, or both?

  16. #116
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    SOmething interesting has come to my attention. Here is some of Brian Bassett's concerns on Jim Popp:

    I think there are a few concerns with somebody like Popp. First is the lack of NFL experience. He has never worked in the league. While he has an eye for talent, there are simply different qualities needed in players in the Canadian and American games. At the risk of overgeneralizing, speed is at a greater premium and size less so in the Canadian league. The field is a lot bigger, teams only have three downs to get a first down instead of four, and the game is more wide open. Because of the bigger field, quarterbacks tend to be more mobile and need less arm strength to zip it into tight windows. The overall talent level is much better in the NFL. You would hope Popp wouldn't be looking at the same players in the NFL that he would in the CFL.

    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those 2 points describe what the NFL is becoming now. A speed game with mobile quarterbacks.
    And the critics also said that WARREN MOON would never make it in the NFL! Then they said CAMERON WAKE would fail in the NFL.

  17. #117
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Popp is smart enough to know the differences in the games. What he may bring is the eye for guys who can fill rolls that get passed over by conventional thinking.

    The CFL had slot receivers and then smaller LB's to cover more because the league was so pass orientated before it became popular here.

    I think the principles of success are similar in both leagues. One every very strong point about Popp and the way he kept his team strong was developing players and then having them ready to play if the team had injuries or when a vet was starting to fail. This is one thing the current Jets have been absurdly bad at.

    When Mangold got hurt the year before last and our backup had gone down in early preseason we are forced to poach a guy off another teams psquad and start him next game with predictable disasterous results.

    This past year we have some WR injuries and instead of bringin up one of our psquad guys we are going after jags like Hill to fill in.

    We have an injury at Rb and instead of having a psquad guy ready we have to sign a jag like Khalil Bell.

    The size of the salary cap is one big issue but I have zero worries he will be canadianized to the point he will try and build a CFL team. Another skill the guy has is he has been able to work with a variety of coaches with very different styles and personalities.

    The basic tenants of being a good GM are the same for any league. It's a long shot that he will get serious consideration because the Jets are about optics but I think he's be a good choice non the less.
    Well said.

  18. #118
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    ah, the appeal of the unknown. i don't know.. i'm having a difficult time getting on board for a GM who has no NFL experience.

  19. #119
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Section 244
    Posts
    754
    Post Thanks / Like
    After reading up on this guy, I wouldn't necessarily be against this move.

  20. #120
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Sign me up for Popp. I like the outside the box pick on this one. Let's take a chance. We have nothing to lose at this point.
    We have nothing to lose? Seriously????

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us