Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Why do you guys want a guy from the CFL over an upcoming guy like Gamble (Idc if he didn't interview well, his resume says it all), Gaine, Seahawks guy, Dorsey, etc.
    Because he has an eye for talent and that is a skill that can adapt to any league. He finds great talent among scrubs, imagine what he could do in the NFL. It is high risk, high reward but it is exactly what this franchise needs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread, I think I've got it figured out. If you've got any competence as a potential GM, you'd never take the Jet job. So if you're willing to take it, then by definition you're incompetent.

I think Groucho Marx covered this a long time ago: "I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Reading this thread, I think I've got it figured out. If you've got any competence as a potential GM, you'd never take the Jet job. So if you're willing to take it, then by definition you're incompetent.

I think Groucho Marx covered this a long time ago: "I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."
    Good point. I was thinking the same thing. It's a sad little world we are living in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm. Then there's Paul Simon: "Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's Jim Popp, but I keep seeing Jim Poop. That's bad karma.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Because he has an eye for talent and that is a skill that can adapt to any league. He finds great talent among scrubs, imagine what he could do in the NFL. It is high risk, high reward but it is exactly what this franchise needs.
    So then we might as well bring in the GM of the UFL champion as well for an interview... and the AFL too if it still existed, right?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So then we might as well bring in the GM of the UFL champion as well for an interview... and the AFL too if it still existed, right?
    Except Popp has been well regraded by several teams, and nearly snagged the Panthers job. You know who started off in the CFL and is now one of the best GM's in the league? Thomas Dimitroff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You bring in good football people with sound principles, a good plan and a track record of success.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you guys want a guy from the CFL over an upcoming guy like Gamble (Idc if he didn't interview well, his resume says it all), Gaine, Seahawks guy, Dorsey, etc.
    How up and coming is he? (serious question) he's been around a long time in different capacities and nobody has offered him a GM job. How bad can somebody with his resume possibly be in every interview?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    How up and coming is he? (serious question) he's been around a long time in different capacities and nobody has offered him a GM job. How bad can somebody with his resume possibly be in every interview?
    He was actually very close to getting the Panthers job. It was only because Accorsi was a consultant that he pushed for a Giant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was actually very close to getting the Panthers job. It was only because Accorsi was a consultant that he pushed for a Giant.
    Where did u see that Gamble came in second? I think u are speculating.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did u see that Gamble came in second? I think u are speculating.
    I was referring to Popp and nope I forget whose but someone tweeted this was the case.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamble blows. everyone knows that. polian gave him the thumbs up. oh well

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was referring to Popp and nope I forget whose but someone tweeted this was the case.
    Oh. Popp I read somewhere. Sorry, didn't realize you were supporting my Popp comments. Thought you were saying Gamble had a shot when every report keeps saying he's horrible in the interviews. I don't even see how that is possible unless he has an attitude problem.
    I don't trust reporters regarding the NFL that much except for Jay Glazer.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 01-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. Popp I read somewhere. Sorry, didn't realize you were supporting my Popp comments. Thought you were saying Gamble had a shot when every report keeps saying he's horrible in the interviews. I don't even see how that is possible unless he has an attitude problem.
    I have been a Popp supporter before he interviewed for the position. I really hope either he or KHANNNNNN! gets the position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I read about him, the more I like Popp.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except Popp has been well regraded by several teams, and nearly snagged the Panthers job. You know who started off in the CFL and is now one of the best GM's in the league? Thomas Dimitroff.
    He was a scout in the CFL 20 years ago, and had about 6 NFL Jobs proving himself in between!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Accorsi is reportedly a big fan of Jim Popp. So is Steve Mariucci.

He almost got the GM job in Indy last year as well as almost getting the one in Carolina. So others consider him to be a viable candidate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you don't want the Jets job you are scared, sackless excuse for an executive. We don't need some lazy punk who is scared of a challenge. I don't know about you, but I like to get my hands into things and work hard. A legit GM candidate does that, not show hesitation about a job that requires you to build a roster, get good coaches, maintain the cap, etc. That is part of the job description of an NFL GM. Can't handle it, GTFO Mr. Candidate

Bring in Popp for another interview. we need to learn more about him. Enough of this Gamble guy ... if he had any juice, the man would have a job by now. There were quite a few GM openings and this guy has nada so far. Nothing to see here
    Last edited by BamaJets; 01-11-2013 at 06:35 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I think I could get behind this.
    You already know what time it is, I am entertaining the idea!