Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Last I read, not yet. But they have an interest. Not sure what that means...For all we know it could just be a logistic thing right now..

From last night:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jim Popp, GM of Montreal Alouettes in CFL, is believed to be on Jets GM radar as well, I'm told. He had been in mix for Panthers job

Jim Popp, the G.M. of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes, is also on the Jets’ radar, according to a source, but it’s unknown whether an interview has been scheduled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...phins-assistan
    I read something you posted a while ago about POPP working & living with former Jets HC Walt Michaels. I totally respect Walt and know that if he worked with POPP, that Popp is the real deal. There was not an ounce of bs in Walt Michaels. The worst thing the Jets have done is to fire Walt! If Popp is our GM I'd love to see Walt hanging around the Jets again. That guy was 100 per cent tough-nosed football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I read something you posted a while ago about POPP working & living with former Jets HC Walt Michaels. I totally respect Walt and know that if he worked with POPP, that Popp is the real deal. There was not an ounce of bs in Walt Michaels. The worst thing the Jets have done is to fire Walt! If Popp is our GM I'd love to see Walt hanging around the Jets again. That guy was 100 per cent tough-nosed football.
    Didn't know he had a connection with Michaels.

Walt should have stayed off the sauce, but it was bad that he got fired.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean this guy, from the Bloodhound Gang? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Pop

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Mariucci ‏@SteveMariucci

Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL !!!! Mark my words !
    Retweeted by Herb Zurkowsky

Time to jump on the bandwagon!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Didn't know he had a connection with Michaels.

Walt should have stayed off the sauce, but it was bad that he got fired.
    Walt was not a drunk. He drank when he got annoyed and if he could have caught Shula after that playoff game when Shula negated the Jets team speed by not covering the field during a rain storm, he surely would have straightened out the ex- Blowfish HC and not resorted to drinking. He tried!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    nice article. What I like here, is this is a guy who has had to work with the less-than-top-end talent, and has had to really work the back end of the roster. That's what we need here. Our depth is awful (except @ d-line) and every other cast-off we make seems to catch on with other teams and make impacts. sick of it.
    that's how I'm starting to look at it. If he's been able to make a silk purse out of a CFL sow's ear, imagine what he could do with real NFL silk.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    GM Jim Popp

HC Rex Ryan

OC Marc Trestman

DC Dennis Thurman
    I am totally on--board with this!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    that's how I'm starting to look at it. If he's been able to make a silk purse out of a CFL sow's ear, imagine what he could do with real NFL silk.
    That is why we wont get him....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Last I read, not yet. But they have an interest. Not sure what that means...For all we know it could just be a logistic thing right now..

From last night:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jim Popp, GM of Montreal Alouettes in CFL, is believed to be on Jets GM radar as well, I'm told. He had been in mix for Panthers job

Jim Popp, the G.M. of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes, is also on the Jets’ radar, according to a source, but it’s unknown whether an interview has been scheduled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...phins-assistan

Took this from the Tweets thread FWIW:

Montreal Gazette: Jim Popp already interviewed for the #Jets GM job. And get this...Woody may have flown to Canada to interview him! #nyj

From 2 sources. Steiny and Herb Zurkowsky

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1

Not only is #Als' GM Jim Popp on NY Jets' radar, been told he already has interviewed. And Jets officials may have flown to NC to see him!

Just thought I would throw this out thee.

Not sure when this could have taken place and who he would have interviewed with. I'm sure someone else would have leaked this if it was true.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I hear about this guy, the more I like him. Hiring him would definitely be an unconventional risk, but that might be what this team needs right now to get back on track.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell is this guy now??? Last week people sporting a Woody for Tom Gamble...now this guy? CFL??? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Who the hell is this guy now??? Last week people sporting a Woody for Tom Gamble...now this guy? CFL??? ROTFLMAO!!!!
    Thomas Dimitroff (current Falcons GM) started out working for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in their Scouting Department.

The Falcons are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Jim Popp is highly regarded in both the CFL and NFL.

So before you make a further @sshat of yourself, maybe do some research and learn about the candidate before writing him off due to his current employer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Thomas Dimitroff (current Falcons GM) started out working for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in their Scouting Department.

The Falcons are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Jim Popp is highly regarded in both the CFL and NFL.

So before you make a further @sshat of yourself, maybe do some research and learn about the candidate before writing him off due to his current employer.
    That's hardly a comparison. Dimitroff was in the NFL 15 years after the CFL. I'm not saying Popp is bad, but Dimitroff was head of scouting for the Pats in the 5 years prior to becoming GM

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    when I look at our cap situation, its amazing that we have so few productive guys taking such a HUGE amount of our cap. We will have to get around 30 players signed for around 30 million bucks to round out our roster. I cant help but think that this gm might be able to look at the bottom scrap heap of our roster and think, hey I know a few special CFL players who I could get who would be upgrades over these guys....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Before coming to the CFL, he helped form the Professional Spring Football League in 1992, in which he served as the league’s director of player personnel and worked and resided with former NFL Coach Walt Michaels. In 1991, he served as the wide receivers, special teams, and strength and conditioning coach for the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks of the World League (later known as NFL Europa) under NFL great, Roman Gabriel.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=252603&page=4

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's hardly a comparison. Dimitroff was in the NFL 15 years after the CFL. I'm not saying Popp is bad, but Dimitroff was head of scouting for the Pats in the 5 years prior to becoming GM
    Writing off a candidate because they're currently employed in another football league without knowing the candidate's credentials or accomplishments is asinine. That was my point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on board with Popp.

The only guys that would make me angry would be Angelo and Ross. Both for their drafting. It's just not good enough. There's reason to be happy with every other guy in the bunch.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I guess you know more than Ernie Accorsi and Steve Mariucci then. Both like this guy a lot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I guess you know more than Ernie Accorsi and Steve Mariucci then. Both like this guy a lot.
    No saying I do I'm just laughing at the fact that our minds change quickly