Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 233

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

  1. #121
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    We have nothing to lose? Seriously????
    Right, this is a 5 year hire. But based on the fact that Cohen may be the only other option, give the man a blank check.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    We have nothing to lose? Seriously????
    We stink (for two years in a row). All of the upper echelon candidates are signed because we refused to fire Rex. We can pick something off the scrap heap or take a chance on a guy who has been successful as an actual GM (regardless if it is the CFL). The Jerry Angelo's and Scott Piolis of the world weren't successful. The rest have no experience.

  3. #123
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    What will Woody say if a Canadian Football League guy declines the Job?

    Will he fire Rex then?

  4. #124
    Stu Cowan ‏@StuCowan1
    Alouettes GM Jim Popp admits he wants a job in the NFL @mtlgazette: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...444/story.html

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    What will Woody say if a Canadian Football League guy declines the Job?

    Will he fire Rex then?
    First of all, they know the situation so they wouldn't take the interview.

    Second of all, Rex is a good coach and that is why we haven't seen anyone second-guess interviewing or taking the job.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Stu Cowan ‏@StuCowan1
    Alouettes GM Jim Popp admits he wants a job in the NFL @mtlgazette: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...444/story.html
    Well, let's give it to him.

  7. #127
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    First of all, they know the situation so they wouldn't take the interview.

    Second of all, Rex is a good coach and that is why we haven't seen anyone second-guess interviewing or taking the job.
    Um Ok. We talked to close to 10 outside candidates to get 3 interviews.

    What I think people are mistaking when it comes to vacant GM jobs. Yes there are only 32 in the world. But some are better than others. Some teams have great owners. Some have superstar QBs. Some have a long line of success.

    Our job has none of this.

    Even some of the bad jobs, Jax for instance, offer hungry candidates the opportunity to FIX the team. They have autonomy to make the required changes.

    Then you have us where we are asking candidates to take this job, where above all of the problems that we have discussed throughout the site, where their success or failure is going to be dependent on Rex Ryan, a coach that has proven he can be a great X and O guy on defense, is beyond terrible on offense, pretty terrible when it comes to player development, and has the mentality where the short-sighted goals outweigh building the team the way the elite franchises build their team.

    Good candidates can turn down this job and get more interviews. Take this job where the likelihood of failure is pretty high, never work again. Look at Tanny.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Um Ok. We talked to close to 10 outside candidates to get 3 interviews.

    What I think people are mistaking when it comes to vacant GM jobs. Yes there are only 32 in the world. But some are better than others. Some teams have great owners. Some have superstar QBs. Some have a long line of success.

    Our job has none of this.

    Even some of the bad jobs, Jax for instance, offer hungry candidates the opportunity to FIX the team. They have autonomy to make the required changes.

    Then you have us where we are asking candidates to take this job, where above all of the problems that we have discussed throughout the site, where their success or failure is going to be dependent on Rex Ryan, a coach that has proven he can be a great X and O guy on defense, is beyond terrible on offense, pretty terrible when it comes to player development, and has the mentality where the short-sighted goals outweigh building the team the way the elite franchises build their team.

    Good candidates can turn down this job and get more interviews. Take this job where the likelihood of failure is pretty high, never work again. Look at Tanny.
    But when you have a person like Popp who has admitted to wanting to be in the NFL, you lower your requirements a bit to get the chance.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

    Good candidates can turn down this job and get more interviews. Take this job where the likelihood of failure is pretty high, never work again. Look at Tanny.

    I get your point and totally agree, but let's not get crazy about Tanny. Even if we never promoted him to GM in 2006 he wouldn't have been considered for that position by any other team. Not a question in my mind about that.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    But when you have a person like Popp who has admitted to wanting to be in the NFL, you lower your requirements a bit to get the chance.

    I agree with that. But if he really is as competent as everything I've read, I doubt he'd settle for a position with no real power, even to work in the NFL. And if Woody actually plans to give power to the next GM, anyone who comes off as competent during interviews will scare off Woody and Rex, because they'll realize Rex is a goner after next year.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I agree with that. But if he really is as competent as everything I've read, I doubt he'd settle for a position with no real power, even to work in the NFL. And if Woody actually plans to give power to the next GM, anyone who comes off as competent during interviews will scare off Woody and Rex, because they'll realize Rex is a goner after next year.
    So why are they interviewing competent people? And I still believe that if the Jets go 4-12 and under that Woody will fire Rex. The media will put so much pressure on him that he will have to.

  12. #132
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I agree with that. But if he really is as competent as everything I've read, I doubt he'd settle for a position with no real power, even to work in the NFL. And if Woody actually plans to give power to the next GM, anyone who comes off as competent during interviews will scare off Woody and Rex, because they'll realize Rex is a goner after next year.
    He is garnering respect from NFL front offices. He has interviewed the last 2 years. No reason those interviews would stop since he is apparently a great interview.

    If he comes here, it would be to work with a coach that is short term (only 2 years left), one that is replacing his entire staff and because they are waiting on the GM, all of the quality assistants who are not under contract will have plenty of offers. Not to mention the cap and free agent situation.

    From the Jets point of view: this is a Jet move. Boom or Bust. It will make more headlines than any other GM hire. Probably ever. he could solve the OC problem with an innovative offensive mind.

    From his perspective, if he comes here in a very challenging situation and he fails, he probably taints the entire CFL forever. Plus, no other front office may be willing to give him a second chance.

    What will happen:

    He will probably take an assistant GM position with an established GM. One who is confident in their track record and one that won't feel threatened by his presence.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    He is garnering respect from NFL front offices. He has interviewed the last 2 years. No reason those interviews would stop since he is apparently a great interview.

    If he comes here, it would be to work with a coach that is short term (only 2 years left), one that is replacing his entire staff and because they are waiting on the GM, all of the quality assistants who are not under contract will have plenty of offers. Not to mention the cap and free agent situation.

    From the Jets point of view: this is a Jet move. Boom or Bust. It will make more headlines than any other GM hire. Probably ever. he could solve the OC problem with an innovative offensive mind.

    From his perspective, if he comes here in a very challenging situation and he fails, he probably taints the entire CFL forever. Plus, no other front office may be willing to give him a second chance.

    What will happen:

    He will probably take an assistant GM position with an established GM. One who is confident in their track record and one that won't feel threatened by his presence.
    If everybody thinks Rex is a buffoon as you claim, then Popp would get a pass because everybody would get the situation he's working in.

  14. #134
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If everybody thinks Rex is a buffoon as you claim, then Popp would get a pass because everybody would get the situation he's working in.
    I base my opinion on Rex strictly on how the team performs, how many games the offense couldn't score, how many time we were out of the game in the first half, his you tube videos, tattoos, and in-articulate press conferences.

    What's really sad is, I think his best defensive game was the Houston game in 2009. Defense has regressed. The reason we are still highly ranked is because teams come into our games being ultra conservative knowing that we cannot score and we eventually turn the ball over multiple times.

    If we had Luck throwi g the ball all over the place, our D would be ranked much longer.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I base my opinion on Rex strictly on how the team performs, how many games the offense couldn't score, how many time we were out of the game in the first half, his you tube videos, tattoos, and in-articulate press conferences.

    What's really sad is, I think his best defensive game was the Houston game in 2009. Defense has regressed. The reason we are still highly ranked is because teams come into our games being ultra conservative knowing that we cannot score and we eventually turn the ball over multiple times.

    If we had Luck throwi g the ball all over the place, our D would be ranked much longer.
    1. Are you talking about the foot videos?

    2. Really? Holding the 14-2 2010 Patriots to 21 points didn't impress you?

  16. #136
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    1. Are you talking about the foot videos?

    2. Really? Holding the 14-2 2010 Patriots to 21 points didn't impress you?
    Yes, the wins over the Patriots were awesome. But just the ferocity of Pace and Scott blitzing Schaub on every single snap. The D was unstoppable that day. They couldn't get first downs, didn't score until very late in the game.

    After watching that game I thought we would lead the league in sacks.

    And I have the 2010 Pats playoff game on the DVR. I watch it a lot. Love the Edwards flip at the end. Probably the best game of my lifetime with the 2002 GB and Ind games as close behind.

  17. #137
    No one questions Rex's credentials as a defensive coach, the question is whether he is a head coach. Four years in and we still seem to lead the league in 12 men on the field penalties and blown timeouts because the offense is confused about the play. At what point does that stuff get fixed? And I haven't even mentioned the handling of Sanchez, which is grounds for firing on its own.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    No one questions Rex's credentials as a defensive coach, the question is whether he is a head coach. Four years in and we still seem to lead the league in 12 men on the field penalties and blown timeouts because the offense is confused about the play. At what point does that stuff get fixed? And I haven't even mentioned the handling of Sanchez, which is grounds for firing on its own.
    I don't remember that many of those to be honest. Maybe one or two, but not that many.

  19. #139
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,192
    Phuck it.

    Count me in.

    I'm jumpin on the Popp bandwagon.

  20. #140
    Why do you guys want a guy from the CFL over an upcoming guy like Gamble (Idc if he didn't interview well, his resume says it all), Gaine, Seahawks guy, Dorsey, etc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us