Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I think I could get behind this.
    You already know what time it is, I am entertaining the idea/thought.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be a terrible hire. The guy knows how to field CFL level talent. There's a huge level in scouting and fielding CFL talent and knowing what wins in the CFL vs scouting & fielding NFL talent and knowing what wins in the NFL. Scouting opponents, systems, players for a particular system and also players to combat systems you're up against. Popp might be interviewing well but thats only cause he's thinking of doing a lot more with less, convincing owners "no need to spend money I'll find all our players thru the draft and I'll make miracles" blah blah. This isn't the CFL ... This would be WAY too risky and way too much of an adjustment. If Rex has any say on this hire as well it won't be this guy.

I watched Jimmy Johnson one time talk about the importance of an interview on ESPN and then he mentioned that Bill Cower, John Madden, Bill Parcells & Bill Bellichick all were turned down for jobs early in their career for possible HC positions cause of their interview. Supposedly Bellichick hired a consultant to even teach him how to interview at one point. Are we hiring a guy based on how well he interviews or based on how good he does his job? I mean if the guys interviewing skills SUCK and he knows how to draft, build a team and etc lets get him. If he doesn't have media skills but he can field a championship contender then give him some counceling in that area or something and let Rex do all the talking. I mean this is ridiculous ... a CFL guy? Yeh lets get a guy who has to learn how to adjust his skills in fielding NFL talent .. what a great call.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    This would be a terrible hire. The guy knows how to field CFL level talent. There's a huge level in scouting and fielding CFL talent and knowing what wins in the CFL vs scouting & fielding NFL talent and knowing what wins in the NFL. Scouting opponents, systems, players for a particular system and also players to combat systems you're up against. Popp might be interviewing well but thats only cause he's thinking of doing a lot more with less, convincing owners "no need to spend money I'll find all our players thru the draft and I'll make miracles" blah blah. This isn't the CFL ... This would be WAY too risky and way too much of an adjustment. If Rex has any say on this hire as well it won't be this guy.

I watched Jimmy Johnson one time talk about the importance of an interview on ESPN and then he mentioned that Bill Cower, John Madden, Bill Parcells & Bill Bellichick all were turned down for jobs early in their career for possible HC positions cause of their interview. Supposedly Bellichick hired a consultant to even teach him how to interview at one point. Are we hiring a guy based on how well he interviews or based on how good he does his job? I mean if the guys interviewing skills SUCK and he knows how to draft, build a team and etc lets get him. If he doesn't have media skills but he can field a championship contender then give him some counceling in that area or something and let Rex do all the talking. I mean this is ridiculous ... a CFL guy? Yeh lets get a guy who has to learn how to adjust his skills in fielding NFL talent .. what a great call.

Ernie Accorsi and Steve Mariucci disagree. But I'll take your word for it....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You think he's gonna take a 7th round graded player with the 9th overall pick or something?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh. And nobody really knows what happened and why he's not being considered. Him being a bad interview is just as credible as he's officially the new GM. For all we know, he was a great interview, but said something that woody just didn't like. And it might be GOOD that woody decided to not go with him. Nobody knows.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Hah! I live in Winnipeg and follow the Bombers during the offseason. I absolutely f*cking hate the Alouettes because they're just as consistent as the Patriots. That's a compliment to Jim Popp and his work ethic.
    Ha ha, this coming from a couple guys who's biggest TV hits are Terrance and Phillip and the Queef Sisters..... Just kidding guys....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still haven't heard definitively that Popp has been interviewed or that an interview has been setup. It's all been speculation. I'd love to hear some sort of confirmation.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    I still haven't heard definitively that Popp has been interviewed or that an interview has been setup. It's all been speculation. I'd love to hear some sort of confirmation.
    '' Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette adds that Popp's already interviewed with the team, so this is a serious rumour. As with the discussion of Popp to Carolina, there are a whole array of candidates the team's reportedly looking at, so don't read this as "Popp's gone." Still, it's certainly notable that Popp's being considered as a legitimate candidate by multiple NFL teams, and that has to have Alouettes' fans a little nervous.''

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1
    Not only is #Als' GM Jim Popp on NY Jets' radar, been told he already has interviewed. And Jets officials may have flown to NC to see him!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not only is #Als' GM Jim Popp on NY Jets' radar, been told he already has interviewed. And Jets officials may have flown to NC to see him!
    Yea, I saw that. What troubles me is when did this take place and what Jet officials did he meet with? Isn't Woody doing all the interviews? Not one New York source has reported a meeting taking place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pure nonsense.

This goes right along with the old and very outdated thought that experience is everything. I've seen so many guys elevated to jobs because they had experience that were not half as smart nor half as competent as a person with no experience in a field.

The basic tenants of being a smart GM are the same for any league and the talent level between CFL and NFL is not so gaping that it is a major problem.

I would understand if NFL teams felt that Popp must get a job in a front office other than GM for a few years to build that resume but to outright dismiss him due to being from the CFL is the same foolish thinking that makes teams pass of guys like Cam Wake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    Sources tell me that despite Panthers hiring of Dave Gettleman, Jim Popp had an excellent interview & impressed enough to make choice tough.

Russell Lande

GM Jr. Scouting, The Big Ten Network & The National Football Post. Former college scout for Cleveland Browns & scouting administrator for the St. Louis Rams. SOUTH ORANGE, NJ http://www.russlande.com

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gets my vote for looking like Barry Melrose

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got this email from #Als' GM Jim Popp, who hasn't heard from Marc Trestman: "Still waiting to hear from Chicago. I know nothing more."

Herb tapped in to Popp

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post

The guy does look BOSS.

I'm on board !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got this email from #Als' GM Jim Popp, who hasn't heard from Marc Trestman: "Still waiting to hear from Chicago. I know nothing more."

Herb tapped in to Popp
    Why would Popp want to go to Chicago? They already have a GM?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Why would Popp want to go to Chicago? They already have a GM?
    It's regarding Trestman and their HC position, which Trestman interviewed for..Trestman is Popp's HC @ Motreal

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a better hair style...the other pic had him pegged as the lead singer of Flock of seagalls

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's regarding Trestman and their HC position, which Trestman interviewed for
    I figured that. The wording screwed me up a bit.

Little worried that he hasn't mentioned the Jets at all.

However,since the Jets have apparently put a shield around their base, maybe they asked Popp to do the same.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordan Gekko?