Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Popp for GM!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I wonder what it's like to live such a desperately humorless life.
    to each their own, Lionel.

I thrive in such an environment. I am not far from wearing bermuda shorts hiked up to my chest, white sports socks and constantly complaining about the neighborhood kids playing that dang loud music.

Banned
    Here's a nice article on Popp. I'm starting to really like this guy.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl...003712842.html

How the Alouettes’ dynasty has been made

Just about every team in the CFL has gone through ups and downs over the last 15 seasons. That's not true for the Montreal Alouettes, though, as they've been riding sky-high almost since their return to the league in 1996 (and in fact, in the two years before that while they were based in Baltimore). They went 12-6 in their first year back in Montreal and 13-5 in 1997, and have never missed the playoffs since heading back to Quebec, but really took off after bringing Anthony Calvillo in during 1998. Montreal went 12-5-1 that year and 12-6 the next two seasons. The 9-9 2001 campaign was a relatively low point for them, but they rebounded to go 13-5 the next year and claim the 2002 Grey Cup. Since then, it's been mostly highs; Montreal's won the East in 10 of their 15 seasons in town and finished second in the other five and has claimed three Grey Cups during that time frame, tied with B.C., Calgary and Toronto for the most during that span. The architect of that prolonged dominance? General manager Jim Popp, who's been running the franchise's football side since 1994 in Baltimore and has gone 198-107-1 in Montreal. As he told The Hamilton Spectator's Scott Radley, it's not necessarily one particular thing that's led to success for the Alouettes, but the combination of all the factors that make up their approach:

He quickly points out there isn't one magic potion. It's a lot of things. But listen to him explain his methodology and you start hearing a few clues repeated over and over, presumably suggesting they're the keys.

His first step is surrounding himself with good, competent people in whom he has a ton of confidence and doesn't worry about them doing so well they usurp him. On his staff right now he has three former CFL GMs — Mike McCarthy, Marcel Desjardins and Alan Ford — who, for what it's worth, are all former managers of the Ticats.

You scout like crazy, draft good guys and then develop players within the organization so when guys go down with injuries or move on, you have pieces that can be plugged in and mesh with the chemistry of the dressing room. You look at the quality of the person as much as the quality of the athlete. Free agency has its place but isn't a cure-all.

"If those people don't gel together, it's going to affect winning and losing," he says.

You create as much stability as possible in a business that's far from stable. You have the same owner since 1997, the same GM since 1996 and the same quarterback since 1998.

Indeed, many will point to the Alouettes' quarterback as the crucial factor in their success, but this team's about more than just Calvillo. What's been perhaps most remarkable is Popp's continual ability to find remarkable depth, those "pieces that can be plugged in", and that's been a key storyline throughout the years. From Mike Pringle to Eric Lapointe to Jarrett Payton, Avon Cobourne, Brandon Whitaker and now Victor Anderson and Noel Devine, Montreal's had an incredible collection of talented running backs, and their receivers (Ben Cahoon, Jamel Richardson and S.J. Green, just to name a few) have been impressive as well. Popp always builds not for the moment, but for years down the line, and that's been crucial to Montreal's sustained success. What he's done through the draft has also been remarkable; the Alouettes have picked up plenty of key players that way, including Matthieu Proulx, Eric Deslauriers, Etienne Boulay, Jeff Perrett, Shea Emry, Andrew Woodruff, Luc Brodeur-Jourdain, Marc-Olivier Brouillette and Patrick Lavoie. Perhaps the key to Popp's approach is that he's obsessed with finding talent regardless of position, rather than specifically focusing on plugging particular holes. That's left the Alouettes with a huge amount of depth, which has enabled them to survive losses and stay consistently good. It's something other teams could learn from.

Veteran
    A great setup would be Popp as Head of Football Operations & Khan as GM (or whatever titles they can come up with). I'd be ecstatic if we could get both of them (although I know it will never happen)!

Hall Of Fame
    nice article. What I like here, is this is a guy who has had to work with the less-than-top-end talent, and has had to really work the back end of the roster. That's what we need here. Our depth is awful (except @ d-line) and every other cast-off we make seems to catch on with other teams and make impacts. sick of it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Garrett McIntyre is the only guy on this team with natural qb rushing moves.

I'm in with Popp.

Jimmy Raye sounds like he should own a sausage company.
    SOJFs are adept at concealing sausage so he'd be their man

Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    A great setup would be Popp as Head of Football Operations & Khan as GM (or whatever titles they can come up with). I'd be ecstatic if we could get both of them (although I know it will never happen)!
    +1!

The more I read about Popp the more I realize this guy gets it. He just knows how things are supposed to be run. He hires good, smart people to work with him. He obviously knows the game.

And he has a guy in the FO named Garcel Desjardins! Gots to bring him to NY

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    The more I read about Popp the more I realize this guy gets it. He just knows how things are supposed to be run. He hires good, smart people to work with him. He obviously knows the game.

And he has a guy in the FO named Garcel Desjardins! Gots to bring him to NY
    If there was a Gerry Desjardins connection 1/2 the board would explode in delight

I mean 1/100th

Major props go to Jason La Confora for first mentioning Popp as a GM option..

NY Jets : The Jets are using a search firm to help run the show and it's only natural they are interviewing Marc Ross. Ross will probably land something this offseason and the Jets are focused on improving their drafts, and Ross is all about college scouting. They have asked permission to speak to Gamble as well, sources said, and former GMs like Jerry Angelo and Randy Mueller would have interest but I don't see the Jets going in that direction. Some wonder if New York would be willing to bring in Bill Polian, who would really change the culture in that building (if Kansas City makes a front office move, Polian could end up involved in that as well). If the Jets were smart, they would reach out to Jim Popp, longtime GM of Montreal of the CFL, who has an expert eye for talent, knows how to manipulate the back end of the roster and who nearly got the Colts job a year ago. Adding an experienced eye like Bill Kuharich, who had a strong run most recently in Kansas City, would make sense as well. It may take a village to save the Jets.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=252603&page=4

I'm on board with Popp .
    sure hope they set up an interview asap !

Banned
    Does anyone know if the Jets contacted this guy for an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Does anyone know if the Jets contacted this guy for an interview?
    Last I read, not yet. But they have an interest. Not sure what that means...For all we know it could just be a logistic thing right now..

From last night:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jim Popp, GM of Montreal Alouettes in CFL, is believed to be on Jets GM radar as well, I'm told. He had been in mix for Panthers job

Jim Popp, the G.M. of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes, is also on the Jets’ radar, according to a source, but it’s unknown whether an interview has been scheduled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...phins-assistan
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-10-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Major props go to Jason La Confora for first mentioning Popp as a GM option..

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...=252603&page=4
    +1! - that's where I first heard his name mentioned. I did a little research after that and loved what I read. I think if he gets an interview, he'll be at the top of the list

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1

Not only is #Als' GM Jim Popp on NY Jets' radar, been told he already has interviewed. And Jets officials may have flown to NC to see him!
    Go get'm, Woody.

EDIT: FYI, Herb Zurkowsky is a sports columnist for the Montreal Gazette.
    Last edited by dustykeller; 01-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Go get'm, Woody.
    Great find and very nice! makes sense with him interviewing with Carolina..

Now lets get Woody's plane to bring him to Florham Park...lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Go get'm, Woody.

EDIT: FYI, Herb Zurkowsky is a sports columnist for the Montreal Gazette.
    Nice!

Jets Insider VIP
    GM Jim Popp

HC Rex Ryan

OC Marc Trestman

DC Dennis Thurman

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    There is a connection between Popp and the Jets

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1
    So now reports are surfacing #Als GM Jim Popp could be candidate for NY Jets. Brock Sunderland, Jets' scout, used to work for Montreal.
    I thought it was MARV SUNDERLAND? I met him one day several years ago after a Jets - Chargers game in San Diego. He loved the Jets!