Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three positions Jets must improve to be playoff material

Three positions Jets must improve to be playoff material

Regardless of who the new GM, OC turn out to be, three positions must vastly improve to have any chance to be playoff caliber. They are QB, someone, anyone who's at least competent, runner with break away threat, and a solid outside lb with speed. Failing any one of these, Jets will be .500/below again in 13'. Yes theyhave other needs, but IMO these are musts. As the free agency and draft periods come and go thats what I'll be keying on. others will have different thoughts on the three biggest needs but these are mine.

not exactly breaking news. Those, along with the OL have to be the draft targets

Jets Insider VIP
    The main thing any team needs is good coaching, players who believe, and chemistry team wise.

I think Rex is saying the right message but now he needs to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Three positions Jets must improve to be playoff material .
    1. QB

2. LB

3. Probably S

But really, without a massive increase in talent and production at QB, it's a moot point.

1) clear direction
    2) accountability
    3) consequesenses for actions/non actions

the 2013 NY Jets will NOT be making the playoffs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the 2013 NY Jets will NOT be making the playoffs.
    ... and that's OK. (to borrow a well-used phrase from this site over the past years ).

This season hurt because it was a drop in form against many people's expectations. Expectations are now low enough that next year should be about finding reasons for optimism again - promising younger players starting to flash, younger vets getting more playing time and development.

If anyone goes into next year expecting playoffs, they'll only have themselves to blame when they are disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Regardless of who the new GM, OC turn out to be, three positions must vastly improve to have any chance to be playoff caliber. They are QB, someone, anyone who's at least competent, runner with break away threat, and a solid outside lb with speed. Failing any one of these, Jets will be .500/below again in 13'. Yes theyhave other needs, but IMO these are musts. As the free agency and draft periods come and go thats what I'll be keying on. others will have different thoughts on the three biggest needs but these are mine.
    wish you told Tannenbaum this last year. Maybe things would have turned out different for him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    1) RB with break-away speed (we need to draft one)
    2) WR to complement Holmes (lets sign Bowe)
    3) OLB with pass-rush ability
    4) with the first two, Sanchez is fine, we are a playoff team

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1. Owner
    2. General Manager
    3. Head Coach

Sadly, we have none of these.

I like your list and think it would work. However, I'd really like to see a RT and FB also. I do very much believe with a few acquisitions, alot like what you are saying and this team WILL make the playoffs in 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    QB, OLB, RB
    This

Agree with QB, OLB, and RB.

That said, it really should be listed in order of importance.

1. QB

2. OLB
    3. RB

Let's just make sure to say this properly, accurately indicating the gaps between the levels of importance:

A) Quarterback

B) OLB/DE capable of 10+ sacks a year.

C) Game breaking RB

QB is far and away the most important position, period.

After that your O-line (the Jets' current O-line isn't bad) and defensive line are of equal importance.

Great RB's are nice, but really a luxury. I have no doubt that Mr. Average reliable RB (BenJarvus Green-Ellis) could win a Super Bowl. I mean it's not like Ahmad Bradshaw or Brandon Jacobs are/were stellar players (although Bradshaw's one tough mother).
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.

1) Join Pac-10
    2) Join Big East
    3) Join Big 12

For obvious reasons, left out SEC

Seriously Ol, speed at lb, qb

QB
    RT
    Rush OLB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The Jets can do whatever they want but they will NOT break 8-8 next season.
    There is not enough talent in the draft of FA to fix all that ails them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Agree with QB, OLB, and RB.

That said, it really should be listed in order of importance.

1. QB

2. OLB
    3. RB
    This. If we could guarantee above average QB play, RBs of Greene/McKnight/Powell wouldn't be what is holding us back from the playoffs.

1. Pass catching RB - In today's NFL, this is unbelievably important. Plus LT did wonders for Sanchez.

2. OG - Some would say RT and deservedly so, but our guard play has dropped off. Some talent at both guard positions would help. I would look to draft 1 and bring in 1 FA and let moore and slauson go.

3. LB. We need youth/speed, end of story. Preferably at the OLB position.

The reason I didn't say QB is because it doesn't seem like there will be an opportunity to get a quality one. Nothing really in FA and although I admittedly don't know much about college football, it seems nothing great coming in the draft as well. I feel these are realistic positions we can upgrade for this upcoming season. I feel its very important we resign laron landry as well. I know he'll be a bit more expensive but without him, we lose a lot. His speed covered up a lot of mistakes/bad coverage by the secondary all season.