Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Omar Kahn(steelers) interview tomorrow.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    "In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers and has served as their chief contract negotiator and capologist"

Tanny 2.0
    I think where Tanny failed is that he thought he was more of a personnel guy than he really was. He let Rex have too much say in both draft and pro personnel moves. He didn't have the fortitude to listen to his scouts and tell Rex no. He came from the Parcells school of give the coach what he wants, not necessarily what he needs. Khan comes from a different culture. He comes from a well run organization and may be able to implement some of those things into the Jet front office. Yes, Khan & Tanny have similar backgrounds, but it's not fair to label him as Tanny 2.0

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    I think where Tanny failed is that he thought he was more of a personnel guy than he really was. He let Rex have too much say in both draft and pro personnel moves. He didn't have the fortitude to listen to his scouts and tell Rex no. He came from the Parcells school of give the coach what he wants, not necessarily what he needs. Khan comes from a different culture. He comes from a well run organization and may be able to implement some of those things into the Jet front office. Yes, Khan & Tanny have similar backgrounds, but it's not fair to label him as Tanny 2.0
    I would prefer one of the steelers personnel guys. It seems that whenever they lose a pro bowler they find a way to replace that player with another pro bowler.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4769500]Couple thoughts on Khan

Im not sure how "close" he could be with cowher. Cowher left in 2006, which was more or less 6 years ago, so Khan would have been 28 years old, not sure how much power and upper management access he would have had in the organization at that time.

As far as another "cap guy" - has our scouting department been that bad? Wilkerson, Coples, kerley, etc....I dont think player evaluation is our problem. Where would we be if we didnt sign sanchez to an extension (cap problem) and had never chased Aso (which = the david harris gaurantee numbers - cap problem).

Without those 2 gigantic mistakes, both of which are cap realted we would be in a FAR better situation today then we are now. I think khan would bring the same philosophy which works in pitts - draft talent, dont spend big on FAs and dump people that wreck the locker room.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great point. While I get why everyone wants a "football guy" as the next GM, I do think it is a little over rated because the scouts and other player evaluation people actually rate them. The biggest need for the Jets right now is a change and a consistent philosophy in how they will build their team. I think if he brings that same Steeler approach to the Jets he could be an effective GM.

Khan is still a very successful guy.. .I'm a big believe that successful people can figure out a way to make it work in most things.

I would not have a huge problem with Khan being hired, even if it looks like he's similar to Tannenbaum. Tanny wasn't complete garbage anyway.

I would be ecstatic if we landed Khan to be honest.