Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omar Kahn(steelers) interview tomorrow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of similarities to Tannenbaum. They both went to Tulane and got their football starts interning for the Saints.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not leaving the Steelers for a capologist demotion. He's turned down GM interviews in past because of loyalty to the Rooneys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody other than Tanny will suffice.
    Get a guy in here so the blood letting can begin.
    Something tells me this guy was in on the discussion to jettison Holmes, so he's alright in my book already.
    Steelers do it right & get rid of vets at just he right time.
    No way they would have held on to a Bryan Thomas as long as we did.
    Again, this isn't rocket science.
    Any of you people out there could sit in a room & pick some players.
    It's getting everyone on the same page to what type of team your trying to build.
    Then it's implementing that strategy with good coaching.
    That is why since we are keeping Rex, the OC choice will be huge piece of the puzzle whether the 2013 Jets can be competitive.
    The draft will be another crapshoot that hopefully falls in our favor.
    I'm hoping whoever they bring in has the balls to make a bold decision on how to get a QB in here not named Mark Sanchez.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We could do well to get a little of the Steeler way in the front office... But I'd prefer them go after Ron Hughes. I guess he is too old tho...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RUSSLANDE: With #Jets interviewing Omar Khan, I would be feeling a little nervous if I were Rex Ryan because Khan is rumored to be close with B. Cowher

@RUSSLANDE: Obviously, O. Khan would not have ability to make move on Rex Ryan now, but if Jets struggle in 2013 then he could try to bring in Cowher.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest problem with Khan is he has no scouting experience. He would have to rely on scouting department. The GM is the HC of the front office. He has to be able to delegate, gather information and make decisions. He can't be bullied by the HC. The experience with Tanny makes me a little gun shy about another non football guy as GM but he seems to be very bright. He's a Cower guy, so this could turn very interesting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd assume he'd revamp the scouting department to run the way Cowher taught him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple thoughts on Khan

Im not sure how "close" he could be with cowher. Cowher left in 2006, which was more or less 6 years ago, so Khan would have been 28 years old, not sure how much power and upper management access he would have had in the organization at that time.

As far as another "cap guy" - has our scouting department been that bad? Wilkerson, Coples, kerley, etc....I dont think player evaluation is our problem. Where would we be if we didnt sign sanchez to an extension (cap problem) and had never chased Aso (which = the david harris gaurantee numbers - cap problem).

Without those 2 gigantic mistakes, both of which are cap realted we would be in a FAR better situation today then we are now. I think khan would bring the same philosophy which works in pitts - draft talent, dont spend big on FAs and dump people that wreck the locker room.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cohwer - President of Football Operations

Khan - GM

Rex - scared very scared

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    MMehtaNYDN: Jets will interview Steelers executive Omar Khan for vacant GM job tomorrow, per source. #nyj

thoughts?
    Out of pure respect for all the firemen, policemen who were past season ticketholders & lost their. lives trying to save people on 9/11- I think I would have to pass on Omar.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Out of pure respect for all the firemen, policemen who were past season ticketholders & lost their. lives trying to save people on 9/11- I think I would have to pass on Omar.
    Please tell me you were joking about your aforementioned statement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the only name of the five or six names talked about last night that I was okay with and that's simply because he comes from the Steelers organization. HOWEVER, he's another Tannenbaum. He isn't a football guy and frankly I think that's what we need if Rex Ryan is to remain the Head Coach and clearly, at least for 2013, he is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    +1, keep sports and politics (or bigotry) separate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Um.. Bigot much? What a ****ing dumb statement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he related to A. Q. Khan?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the **** is wrong with you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Report: Bill Cowher Open To Coaching Again Cue The Omar Khan Speculation
    Wednesday, January 9th, 2013 at 2:16 am by Dave Bryan

Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher told Newsday on Tuesday that he would be open to returning to the coaching again at some point.

Cowher, who was interviewed at a CBS function to promote the upcoming coverage of the Super Bowl, said that he probably will return to the NFL, but didn't say when exactly that would be.

"It would be a challenge," said Cowher, per the report, "but I think that's probably why I would get back into it, because of the challenge."

He also scoffed at the idea the game has changed too much since he stepped down as the Steelers head coach following the 2006 season in which he went 8-8.

"I did it for 27 years," he said. "You don't just forget things overnight."

Cowher's career coaching record when he walked away from the game was 149-90-1 after 15 seasons in Pittsburgh. He has been with CBS as a studio annalist since 2007.

The timing of the Cowher comments come at time when five teams are still looking for a head coach, but it doesn't appear as if he is looking for job next season. You knew the 55 year old coach would want to return to the game at some point and this now all sets up perfectly for a return in 2014.

Last August it was reported that Cowher bought a $2.65 million condo in Manhattan's Upper East Side that overlooked portions of Central Park and immediately there was speculation that he had his eye on the New York Jets job if it opened up after the 2012 season. The Jets look like they will retain head coach Rex Ryan for at least one more season, so that is definitely out should he indeed be trying to get back into the league in 2013.

Cowher of course has ties to the North Carolina area as well, so the Carolina Panthers certainly could be speculated as a landing spot for him should head coach Ron Rivera not be able to turn things around there in 2013. Panthers owner Jerry Richardson has long been an admirer of the way the Steelers organization does things so that is another thing to keep in mind.

The return of Cowher to the game would be well received by many around the league and there is no doubt that he will likely succeed wherever he winds up. You would also have to think that he would love to have Omar Khan, the Steelers Director of Business & Football Administration, as a General Manager or Director of Operations as well. It has long been speculated that whenever Cowher did return to the game that Khan would follow him to wherever he lands.

Stay tuned.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...n-speculation/

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    "In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers and has served as their chief contract negotiator and capologist"

Tanny 2.0

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is the best example of a bigoted, stereotyping statement I have ever seen!