Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jets Interviewing Jerry Angelo

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Everyone has a candidate they want no part of. Jerry Angelo is mine. He hasn't had a good draft in a decade and his whiffs are on Tannenbaum level, if not worse. I know many, many Bears fans, and not a one were sad to see him go.
    Tannenbaum has had far better drafts than Angelo... It's insulting to put them in the same sentence.

I know it's popular to hate Tanny right now but his drafts are not that bad. Actually quite good.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    By pre-interviewing them, which is what Korn Ferry is there for, to find those 15-20 people, select the top 5 and present them to the client. That's the whole point of hiring a search firm, to avoid this sort of scenario.
    What scenario? I don't get it, Korn/Ferry is interviewing each candidate with Woody, and after the interviews are done they will pick the best candidate.

They're doing their due diligence, being patient, and they will pick who they believe is the best candidate. Where's the problem?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    What scenario? I don't get it, Korn/Ferry is interviewing each candidate with Woody, and after the interviews are done they will pick the best candidate.

They're doing their due diligence, being patient, and they will pick who they believe is the best candidate. Where's the problem?
    There is no problem...

It's not like the candidates are going anywhere. There are only a couple of jobs still open and Reid isn't picking one of the guys we're interested in.

It's the same retarded logic as the fools who were getting all upset about the Jets not speaking right after their final game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

Jets will interview former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo tomorrow for vacant GM job, per source.
    Why?

The game passed this guy by long ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    At the time, he probably gave them the best chance to win.
    Hahahahahahaha!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There is no problem...

It's not like the candidates are going anywhere. There are only a couple of jobs still open and Reid isn't picking one of the guys we're interested in.

It's the same retarded logic as the fools who were getting all upset about the Jets not speaking right after their final game.
    Well right now everyone has a head start on the Jets as far as putting together a team for next year. We have talent evaluators in place, but in the next few weeks, we need to create a focus of what is feasible to improve the team, what kind of team we will be and what can we do to get there. There are finainces and talent evaluation to go around. There is time needed for the coach and GM to understand each other. Teams with a full front office are doing this now. We aren't and the longer this takes, the more we will be picking up the scraps trying to build this team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Really starting to look like Cohen's the guy.

They are interviewing every big name there is for the show they're putting on.
    Not according to Jeff Capellini.

Jeff Capellini says he is hearing that Scott Cohen's chances of getting the general manager job are not good. Been talking to various people close to situation all day and the consensus is Cohen will not be promoted unless roof caves in. #Jets

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Hahahahahahaha!
    Someone's paying attention.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather have Gaine than Angelo, let's just put it that way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well right now everyone has a head start on the Jets as far as putting together a team for next year. We have talent evaluators in place, but in the next few weeks, we need to create a focus of what is feasible to improve the team, what kind of team we will be and what can we do to get there. There are finainces and talent evaluation to go around. There is time needed for the coach and GM to understand each other. Teams with a full front office are doing this now. We aren't and the longer this takes, the more we will be picking up the scraps trying to build this team.
    A head start?? No team is doing anything right now. If you want to tell me this in February and the Jets still don't have a GM, I'll be right next to you voicing my displeasure at this process. But to say other teams have this huge head start is ridiculous. I mean the first new GM was hired not even a week ago.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What world do you live in

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Doing your due diligence is sitting down with your advisors and identifying 4 or 5 candidates who would best serve the team, interviewing them and making a decision in a timely fashion.

Interviewing 10-15 candidates is taking a shotgun approach and shows that there was little planning or thought behind who to interview. It is how people who have no clue as to what they are doing operate. Thats what we are now, a circus, a bunch of clowns who dont know what they are doing.

And yes I am a Jet fan, have been since 1983 and stuck with this team through all the bad years and will continue to do so. But when I see such ridiculousness, I have no problem calling it what it is.
    In the real world,you grant 1st interviews to a large candidate pool. From that pool, you narrow it down, and grant 2nd interviews,than you decide on who you make an offer two. The approach the Jets are taking is the proper approach

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is going to be a hit, like they did to Joe Pecci in Goodfellas for the Dwayne Robertson trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    A head start?? No team is doing anything right now. If you want to tell me this in February and the Jets still don't have a GM, I'll be right next to you voicing my displeasure at this process. But to say other teams have this huge head start is ridiculous. I mean the first new GM was hired not even a week ago.
    So you are telling me all the GM's are on vacation right? Please. They are putting together the background work necessary to go and act on their plan. They are identifying free agents, identifying people to cut, identifying what they can do with their cap. At least the perennial winners are.

Yes the first GM's were hired a week ago. So they are getting started. We won't even have someone in place for another week at least with all these new interviews. It doesn;t even seem they know what they want. By the time we get someone in the office and working it is just about Feb. I am saying the longer we go with this the longer it hurts us.

Also, the teams with good GM's and long term staff have alot of this done already because it is an ongoing process. When the new guy comes in, they still have to figure out how they want everything to work and train the organization on how things will go. That is not an easy thing to do number one and number two, it is this kind of stuff that they will be spending alot of time on while the other teams will be spending their time on football related activities.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    In the real world,you grant 1st interviews to a large candidate pool. From that pool, you narrow it down, and grant 2nd interviews,than you decide on who you make an offer two. The approach the Jets are taking is the proper approach
    But they are not doing it that way. They named a handful, interviewed them, brought a couple back for second interviews, did nothing, then after time had passed, came up with a new list to interview, which should take at least another week. Who knows what happens then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But they are not doing it that way. They named a handful, interviewed them, brought a couple back for second interviews, did nothing, then after time had passed, came up with a new list to interview, which should take at least another week. Who knows what happens then.
    After time had passed? No time has passed. They've interviewed guys essentially every day since Friday.

The only guy who it was reported received a 2nd interview was Caldwell and they may have done that for the sole reason that Jacksonville was moving quickly on hiring him. Jets probably passed which is the reason he took the JVille job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you and Kennyo7 are both correct.

Most normal organizations in any field or business review candidates and rank them BEFORE interviews. Then pick the top 3-5 to interview. Bring back 2-3 for second interviews and make an offer.

What is clouding the situation is that the Jets reached out to 9 or 10 candidates and only got 3 interviews (not counting Cohen).

Now we reached out to 6 additional candidates. Woody either doesn't know what he is looking for, or the three other interviews went south, or none of the three gave any indication that they wanted the job. All in all it looks bad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Everyone has a candidate they want no part of. Jerry Angelo is mine. He hasn't had a good draft in a decade and his whiffs are on Tannenbaum level, if not worse. I know many, many Bears fans, and not a one were sad to see him go.
    thanks for saying it like it is.the worst thing for the jets is to pick angelo as their gm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not Quite.
    The inner circle of NFL ownership and front offices is quite small. People talk to each other all the time. If you are respected in that circle (and not laughed at by the others in the circle) you get recommendations from your peers. You interview 4 or 5 guys and you make a decision in a timely fashion. Why? Because there is alot of work to be done and not that much time to do it.

It is now January 10. The senior bowl is about 2 weeks away. The East West Shrine Game is in 9 days. The Combine starts in 4 weeks. Free Agency begins in 2 months. How much longer before we hire a GM? What if he wants to change the front office/scouting departments (which i hope he does). What about the coaching staff? Will he have enough time? All the other teams already have a leg up on whoever we hire.

This is why the Jets approach so far has been so minor league