Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Korn Ferry's last GM search

great post..

glad that this firm is doing its due diligance... even though it would be nice to have a GM already... its better to go this route than the Rich Kotite hair trigger route...

Quote Originally Posted by Ledge Hater #1 View Post
    Well that's all fine and well what they do, but now they have to find a candidate that what's a given HC, A HC that has final say on personnel, and he can't fire the HC!! Good Luck finding someone that will put up with that S**t!! If they do, who would want him!! This Owner is a JOKE!!!!
    1) Both Woody and Rex said that the GM would have the final say on personnel.

2) No GM can fire a HC without their owners permission. Fired HCs always have at least one year left on their contract. The owner must agree to pay that and hire a new HC, essentially paying for 2 HCs for the duration of the outgoing HCs contract. The GM is not paying that cost.

3) The sky is not falling. They will find a qualified GM and he will be happy to take the job.

4) Everyone seems to think that Rex is in charge now. After watching the news conference, I think the opposite. Watch Rex's body language. He looked more contrite than aggressive and in charge. I think he knows that he dodged a bullet. I think he is thrilled that he still has a job. I think Woody sat him down and told him this is his last chance. The whole thing with Woody throwing support behind Rex at the PC was choreographed, even down to the phrases used.

5) Woody fired the GM, the OC, the QB Coach, and the DC. Each of these guys were hand picked by Rex. They are not here. Don't you think that sends a message to Rex? Notice in the PC that Woody did not make a commitment to Rex past this year.

6) That whole ridiculous stuff about G&P was only for the 1st year was clearly a PR fabrication. Woody got some advice from some football people. They told him the G&P has to go. Woody told Rex, "It's this way or the highway". Rex agreed and they both came up with this lame excuse that REx did not want G&P except for his 1st year.

5) Woody has shown that he is willing to get rid of under performing coaches and GMs in his tenure. He has also spent up to the cap every year to put a good product on the field. The football decisions of this organization have been terrible, but hiring an outside firm to get to a good GM is another sign that Woody is on the right track. Woody is a good owner.
    Last edited by GandWFan; 01-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

2) No GM can fire a HC without their owners permission. Fired HCs always have at least one year left on their contract. The owner must agree to pay that and hire a new HC, essentially paying for 2 HCs for the duration of the outgoing HCs contract. The GM is not paying that cost.

3) The sky is not falling. They will find a qualified GM and he will be happy to take the job.

4) Everyone seems to think that Rex is in charge now. After watching the news conference, I think the opposite. Watch Rex's body language. He looked more contrite than aggressive and in charge. I think he knows that he dodged a bullet. I think he is thrilled that he still has a job. I think Woody sat him down and told him this is his last chance. The whole thing with Woody throwing support behind Rex at the PC was choreographed, even down to the phrases used.

5) Woody fired the GM, the OC, the QB Coach, and the DC. Each of these guys were hand picked by Rex. They are not here. Don't you think that sends a message to Rex? Notice in the PC that Woody did not make a commitment to Rex past this year.

6) That whole ridiculous stuff about G&P was only for the 1st year was clearly a PR fabrication. Woody got some advice from some football people. They told him the G&P has to go. Woody told Rex, "It's this way or the highway". Rex agreed and they both came up with this lame excuse that REx did not want G&P except for his 1st year.

5) Woody has shown that he is willing to get rid of under performing coaches and GMs in his tenure. He has also spent up to the cap every year to put a good product on the field. The football decisions of this organization have been terrible, but hiring an outside firm to get to a good GM is another sign that Woody is on the right track. Woody is a good owner.
    STOP MAKING SENSE!

THERE'S NO PLACE FOR LOGIC ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

You can try as hard as you want to explain the situation logically, but there are plenty on this forum who really believe the sky is falling and Woody hired Korn/Ferry as part of this grand scheme to cover up the hire of Scott Cohen

Last edited by bgivs21; 01-10-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    STOP MAKING SENSE!

THERE'S NO PLACE FOR LOGIC ON THIS FORUM!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    You can try as hard as you want to explain the situation logically, but there are plenty on here who think illogically and believe the sky is falling and Woody hired Korn/Ferry as part of this grand scheme to cover up the hire of Scott Cohen

Let's be careful now, we who believe in due diligence and logical thinking might get branded "homers"

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    No matter who is ultimately hired, he'll be nothing more than a figure head. We all know that we already have our de facto GM. His name is Rex Ryan. He's calling the shots.

May the Lord have mercy on Jets fans' souls.
    Depends.

If KF stick to their guns (meaning they use their own filters to find the right person for the job) and Woody listens to their feedback, the person who gets hired will have the ability to work through or around whatever road blocks are put in their path. They will be a much more intelligent individual then Woody and Rex are probably used to dealing with.

KF asses people's competency levels in different areas to see if they are a good fit for a specific role. I would trust them 100x more with a decision like this then any person that the Jets currently have on staff. Lets hope Woody feels the same way.

No matter who is ultimately hired, he'll be nothing more than a figure head. We all know that we already have our de facto GM. His name is Rex Ryan. He's calling the shots.

I truly hope that is not the case and that the incoming GM receives assurances that he has full control over player personnel. All we know for sure is that Rex comes with deal for any new GM.

Hall Of Fame
    the longer the search continues, it will actually assuage my fears that Cohen is the fiat accomlpi GM.

You have been listening to the ravings of Baghdad Bob, aka SAR I. As usual he is wrong, again.

Rex is not in charge. He is lucky to have a job, and he knows it. He is contrite, and will do whatever his owner or new GM says to remain the HC of the NYJ.

No more G&P after 4 years of preaching G&P. I am sure that was Rex's idea after his "reflecting" for a week in the Bahamas. Yeah, right.

Woody fired the entire offensive staff, and told Rex, "If you want a job, no more G&P". Rex swallowed hard and said, "OK, boss".

Then the PR dept choreographed the dog and pony show we saw on Monday, and Rex and Woody read from the script.

Please do not be fooled by Baghdad SAR.

You have been listening to the ravings of Baghdad Bob, aka SAR I. As usual he is wrong, again.

Rex is not in charge. He is lucky to have a job, and he knows it. He is contrite, and will do whatever his owner or new GM says to remain the HC of the NYJ.

No more G&P after 4 years of preaching G&P. I am sure that was Rex's idea after his "reflecting" for a week in the Bahamas. Yeah, right.

Woody fired the entire offensive staff, and told Rex, "If you want a job, no more G&P". Rex swallowed hard and said, "OK, boss".

Then the PR dept choreographed the dog and pony show we saw on Monday, and Rex and Woody read from the script.

Baghdad SAR ... love it! Brilliant post, sir.

All Pro

Cmon don't you know sanity is forbidden in these parts?

All Pro

This point was made obvious when they pushed back the presser to Monday!

Jet pressers are nothing but smoke and mirrors now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Source please. This is JI, not the Daily News, we will not tolerate the proliferation of bald factual claims without reference to real source.
    There is no source. In fact Woody explicitly stated the GM will have final say on personnel. This is just more moronic, bullsh1t, JI SOJF ranting.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    From what I've seen Rex has more of a problem with being deferential to others in the organization than being some power hungry guy that wants to call all the shots. He under performs mostly because he refuses to use the full extent of his authority as a HC. Why would he have designs on the power and authority of the GM when he doesn't even feel the need to exercise his power and authority as HC?
    Totally agree. The ability to judge personalities is badly lacking by some here, and the tendency to fabricate self-created realities is unparalleled. Deferential is actually a great word to describe Rex and is certainly part of his problem.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    There is no source. In fact Woody explicitly stated the GM will have final say on personnel. This is just more moronic, bullsh1t, JI SOJF ranting.

On if the new general manager will have the final say on all personnel decisions…

JOHNSON: Yes, that’s the way we’ve done it, but it’s always been a collaborative process. Yes, Rex picks coaches and the general manager picks players in the draft.

JOHNSON: We're Making Changes, Moving Forward
    Posted Jan 8, 2013
    By Jets Media Relations Department

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...a-549982975c84

Always the conspiracy people. Regardless of what the coach and the owner say, it MUST be a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    This point was made obvious when they pushed back the presser to Monday!

Jet pressers are nothing but smoke and mirrors now.
    They always were. Business don't call press conferences to inform. They call press conferences to sell their message. These messages are carefully crafted for their audience. This is not new.

It is just that when the story being pushed "jumps the shark", the delusion becomes so obvious that the audience, us, awake from the self induced coma for a short while.

My prediction: Jets will hire Tom Gamble as GM. he was reportedly their #1 target going into the process, was strongly endorsed by Polian and its also been reported that Gamble himself had the Jets at the top of his list.

however, according to the rumors, his interview didn't go great and he was found lacking in terms of salary cap knowledge.

so the Jets keep looking, but are now focusing on contract and salary cap experts, after meeting with the football-oriented guys early in the process. Gamble will still be named GM, but he will be complemented/assisted by a guy with greater cap management knowledge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Exactly. I didn't get to hear the press conference until last night. I didn't get any of the "Rex is in charge" vibe that people on here were talking about.

All Pro
    They always were. Business don't call press conferences to inform. They call press conferences to sell their message. These messages are carefully crafted for their audience. This is not new.

It is just that when the story being pushed "jumps the shark", the delusion becomes so obvious that the audience, us, awake from the self induced coma for a short while.
    +1