Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Korn Ferry's last GM search

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

4) Everyone seems to think that Rex is in charge now. After watching the news conference, I think the opposite. Watch Rex's body language. He looked more contrite than aggressive and in charge. I think he knows that he dodged a bullet. I think he is thrilled that he still has a job. I think Woody sat him down and told him this is his last chance. The whole thing with Woody throwing support behind Rex at the PC was choreographed, even down to the phrases used.
    The two pictures from the 2009 and this week's pressers, posted here to show that he wore the same green striped tie are actually really indicative of this
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...16&postcount=9

In '09 Rex looks bold and aggressive, in the lower picture he looks 'smaller' (weight loss notwithstanding), not as commanding, shrinking into himself. He knows he screwed up and is lucky to have a job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Exactly. I didn't get to hear the press conference until last night. I didn't get any of the "Rex is in charge" vibe that people on here were talking about.
    Well more than once Rex said that he would lean on the GM for input. On the QB decision, they would get input from the new GM and new OC.

The fact that Ryan has any input in who are new GM will be, scares the he k out of me. That tells me as of now, Woody plans for Rex to be here a while.

In other instances where the HC was in place and had input on the GM, Seattle, Cleveland with Mangini, it was/is the HC that is running the show.

I guess it will all come out very soon. If Woody is able to hire a legitimate GM candidate then my fears will subside momentarily.

If this turns into a disaster and Woody tries to tell everyone that Cohen is the "perfect GM for the NYJ" then I along with the majority of Jet fans are going to be furious.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I started researching Seattle's GM search when Korn Ferry was assisting them to see if there were any similarities to the Jets current search. Some candidates (Khan and Ross) were interviewed for both. Also, it seemed that Korn Ferry considered many different candidates (as seems to be the case with the Jets).

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawk...26_hawk20.html

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2...gm-candidates/

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2...gm-candidates/

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-gm-candidates
    Thank you for preventing my impending suicide.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    My prediction: Jets will hire Tom Gamble as GM. he was reportedly their #1 target going into the process, was strongly endorsed by Polian and its also been reported that Gamble himself had the Jets at the top of his list.

however, according to the rumors, his interview didn't go great and he was found lacking in terms of salary cap knowledge.

so the Jets keep looking, but are now focusing on contract and salary cap experts, after meeting with the football-oriented guys early in the process. Gamble will still be named GM, but he will be complemented/assisted by a guy with greater cap management knowledge.

This makes a lot of sense.

Gamble gets offered the job only if he agrees to take one of these salary cap guys on in some sort of assistant GM job.

So, until they identify one of these salary cap guys who 1) they like; and 2) will make what essentially could be a lateral move (for more pay probably) they continue the GM search and won't offer Gamble anything.

When they think the pieces are in place, they make an offer to both on the condition that both are willing to work as a team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The two pictures from the 2009 and this week's pressers, posted here to show that he wore the same green striped tie are actually really indicative of this
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...16&postcount=9

In '09 Rex looks bold and aggressive, in the lower picture he looks 'smaller' (weight loss notwithstanding), not as commanding, shrinking into himself. He knows he screwed up and is lucky to have a job.
    Exactly

Both Woody and McKayla Maroney were not impressed with Rex last season.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    the longer the search continues, it will actually assuage my fears that Cohen is the fiat accomlpi GM.
    That's a heckuva pun iffin you meant that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    +1.
    While you may be able to just hire a guy who has already been a GM on the basis of one (or even no) interview, it is because he has a body of work that speaks to his ability to do the job. But almost all of the guys the Jets are looking at have never been a GM.

Have any of the people who question the process ever been responsible for hiring someone to fill a professional position? This is happening exactly as it should. First, interview as many as possible -- you'll often find that the best candidates on paper may not be as good as you thought compared to the others. Second, bring the best back for a second interview. You can not fill an important position based on one interview. Third, contact as many people as possible who have dealt with the candidate in their professional experience to complete the evaluation. This is not limited to those who work alongside the person, you want to find people who are not obliged to simply say he is a great guy. If he dealt with Agents, ask the Agents. If he dealt with Pepsi, ask the people at Pepsi. And always ask the low level staff about him. They know, and will willingly tell you, what his real reputation in the office is i.e. a douche, pretender, etc...
    Bingo Sonny! As someone who has spent the last 15 years in executive search (and no, not Korn Ferry) we have a saying, "This is why you bring them in!". Candidates may look great on paper, but bring them in and they choke under the lights, or conversely look ok on paper, but kick-ass in-person. Then we dig further looking at who they know or have worked with, and get further thoughts on them when/if possible. I would bet the folks at KF are doing the same exact thing. My only concern here is, will the client AKA Woody, actually listen to what KF suggests.

AF

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    This makes a lot of sense.

Gamble gets offered the job only if he agrees to take one of these salary cap guys on in some sort of assistant GM job.

So, until they identify one of these salary cap guys who 1) they like; and 2) will make what essentially could be a lateral move (for more pay probably) they continue the GM search and won't offer Gamble anything.

When they think the pieces are in place, they make an offer to both on the condition that both are willing to work as a team.
    I read that Gamble did not do so well because he is too strong of a personality. WOODY does not want that strong of a personality. I read it on JI but do not remember where. I think TONY PAULINO was quoted saying it on the draft site.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I read that Gamble did not do so well because he is too strong of a personality. WOODY does not want that strong of a personality. I read it on JI but do not remember where. I think TONY PAULINO was quoted saying it on the draft site.
    If that were true, I'd want to know what KF's assessment of him was.

If they told him "this is your guy" and Woody said "Nope -- too strong", then yeah, we're screwed. But why would he have hired them in the first place if he wasn't going to listen to their advice?

I think it's more likely there were more tangible reasons (assuming he's not our guy) and "too strong" is just the easy answer that doesn't require getting into much detail . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If that were true, I'd want to know what KF's assessment of him was.

If they told him "this is your guy" and Woody said "Nope -- too strong", then yeah, we're screwed. But why would he have hired them in the first place if he wasn't going to listen to their advice?

I think it's more likely there were more tangible reasons (assuming he's not our guy) and "too strong" is just the easy answer that doesn't require getting into much detail . . .
    This guy gets it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    my father is actually good friends with Lester Korn of Korn/Ferry. Ive been to Lesters home and Lester to my fathers while I was growing up

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    my father is actually good friends with Lester Korn of Korn/Ferry. Ive been to Lesters home and Lester to my fathers while I was growing up
    yes, AND?????????????????????????

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    yes, AND?????????????????????????
    seemed like a nice enough guy. I was too young to really gauge what kind of person he was or pick his brain. I was probably 9 the last time I met him. I remember he had a bad heart and always had high cholesterol that his family was constantly worried about. Other than that I got nothing

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Where did you read it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    seemed like a nice enough guy. I was too young to really gauge what kind of person he was or pick his brain. I was probably 9 the last time I met him. I remember he had a bad heart and always had high cholesterol that his family was constantly worried about. Other than that I got nothing
    So what you're saying is KF really liked Gamble and guaranteed he was the answers to all our problems, but Woody thought he was too strong and Rex didn't feel he could hang out with him after the game so they told him to hit the road?

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OCCH; 01-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a nice story. There's some cookies cooling in the kitchen, why don't you go get yourself one.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    That was a nice story. There's some cookies cooling in the kitchen, why don't you go get yourself one.

Great thread by original poster ... And thx for the laugh above !

Ljr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Exactly. I didn't get to hear the press conference until last night. I didn't get any of the "Rex is in charge" vibe that people on here were talking about.
    Woody specifically said GM picks players HC picks assistant coaches.

All of this Rex is in charge is garbage drummed up in part by the NYJ hating fat man over at WFAN.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    My prediction: Jets will hire Tom Gamble as GM. he was reportedly their #1 target going into the process, was strongly endorsed by Polian and its also been reported that Gamble himself had the Jets at the top of his list.

however, according to the rumors, his interview didn't go great and he was found lacking in terms of salary cap knowledge.

so the Jets keep looking, but are now focusing on contract and salary cap experts, after meeting with the football-oriented guys early in the process. Gamble will still be named GM, but he will be complemented/assisted by a guy with greater cap management knowledge.
    Gamble and Idzik/Khan would be tits

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Gamble and Idzik/Khan would be tits
    I see no way that Khan makes any type of lateral move. Same with Idzik. They are interviewing to be the General Manager of an NFL team. Makes them look incredibly bad to take anything less.