Turner
    Cromartie
    Weddle
    Jammer
    Cason
    Mathews

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

We will get the last GM in the NFL. Whoever is left standing after all the other jobs have been filled, whoever is the most desperate.

Doesn't sound to me like AJ Smith is that kind of person. He has 2 years at $2M per left on his contract, likely going to take a year off and then re-emerge as a top-tier candidate next year.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Lord of No Rings

Way better than Jerry Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We will get the last GM in the NFL. Whoever is left standing after all the other jobs have been filled, whoever is the most desperate.

Doesn't sound to me like AJ Smith is that kind of person. He has 2 years at $2M per left on his contract, likely going to take a year off and then re-emerge as a top-tier candidate next year.

SAR I
    He is not under contract he was fired..

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Way better than Jerry Angelo
    I agree. He put together some great SD teams...Just didn't have the right coach....

I wouldn;t mind him, just the kind of ornery ******* that would stand up to Rex.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    He is not under contract he was fired..
    ....right, but when they fire you you get what's remaining on your contract.

So he's getting $4M to do nothing for the next two years, doesn't have to take a new job right now, can be patient if he wants to.

SAR I

All Pro
    AJ Smith would get Norve Turner here as OC in a second. Just for that reason alone I'd hire him. Plus his picks in the draft for the most part have been good.

Other then Bill Polian, he's the best GM out there with a proven body of work. imo
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 01-10-2013 at 02:25 AM.

I would prefer Cohen or anyone else really, he may have had some decent picks but contract and people skills need some work, so we can say goodbye to Revis if the Jets hire this douch - see Vincent Jackson

Favoring hardball negotiating tactics, Smith clashed with his own players and coaches as well as agents and the media. He allowed a steady stream of stars to leave as free agents, including Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Sproles, Michael Turner and Vincent Jackson, while failing to adequately replace them.

Some outsiders felt Smith's ego helped weaken the roster, and that some of his spats became personal.

He mocked Tomlinson, whose Hall of Fame-caliber career included winning the NFL MVP award in 2006. Tomlinson's sin, in Smith's eyes, was being honest about a severe groin injury late in the 2008 season. Smith also mocked the Manning family in April before Peyton Manning signed with Denver.

Smith had his hits and misses with players. He's best known for taking Eli Manning with the No. 1 pick overall in the 2004 draft despite Archie Manning's request that he not do so, then dealing Manning's rights to the New York Giants for Rivers and draft picks that he used to take Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding.

Eli Manning went on to win two Super Bowls. Rivers has yet to play in one.

Smith's recent drafts produced more busts than impact players, though, as he seemed to live off the fumes of that '04 draft.

Smith could have picked Clay Matthews in 2009 but went with Larry English. In 2010, he moved up 16 spots to draft Ryan Mathews, the heir apparent to Tomlinson. Mathews has been dogged by injuries and fumbles. In his first draft, 2003, Smith could have had Troy Polamalu but chose Sammy Davis instead.

Smith did sign undrafted rookie Antonio Gates in 2003, but he also let Wes Welker go after just one game in 2004.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...urner-aj-smith

Does not sound like an upgrade over Tanny to me
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 01-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Lord of No Rings
    Hehehe

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    +1.

I really want to believe that we are being patient and doing an thorough search but I know better.

SAR I
    We're like the fat girl at the eighth grade dance.

He really drafted Eli and not Rivers

no thank you
    if you look at this overall track record of putting together a team/roster, it has consistently gotten worse

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wouldn;t mind him, just the kind of ornery ******* that would stand up to Rex.
    Which is why he won't even get an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    no thank you
    if you look at this overall track record of putting together a team/roster, it has consistently gotten worse
    Budgetary constraints of a small market team that doesn't draw well. Smith's strength is his resolve. He never would have publicly hyped Revis inflating both ego and feeling of self worth. He never would of placated Sanchez with that ridiculous mini extension based on hurt feelings. He never would have valued Holmes with gargantuan contract. Smith is tough, he doesn't cave, and he's not afraid to sell during the drafts. He's the type of GM the Jets need, not these juniors willing to deflect to lame duck Wrecks.
    That being said, Smith has had his share of miscues. The Ryan Matthews RB pick was a huge mistake considering the success of low round RBs every year. Sticking with Norv Away was puzzling but I have to believe the psyche of Rivers was always the prime consideration there not to mention a team unwilling to eat big contracts.
    Smith has a nose for finding talent, both thru the draft and UFA. Hitting on a star like Gates from the UFA sets teams apart. Same as nailing a draft with extra picks.
    Smith and Polian are the type of GMs this team needs. not these kids who Wrecks will walk all over
    Last edited by Redrew; 01-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.

I would not be against AJ Smith, but he would never even consider the job as long as the buffoon is around. I do not see those two getting along at all.

Some of you criticizing drafts need to realize that drafting is extremely tough. You act like any mistake is a huge bust and it just can't happen. The fact of the matter is that it does happen.

Smith's drafts are fantastic even including the mistakes. To be honest, Tanny's drafts have been very good. It's all relative to what the rest of the league is doing in terms of drafting.

Smith's biggest mistake by far was Norv as a coach. And that is a huge mistake. The two biggest decisions a GM has is their decisions with the QB position and the coaching spot. AJ whiffed on the coach.

And if we did get Smith, you could absolutely guarantee that Revis would be a goner. Those agents and Smith have a horrible relationship through the Vincent Jackson issue. Smith is stubborn and in a negotiation has no problem telling agents and a player to **** off.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-10-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's all about Poppa Bear, b*tches.