Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: AJ smith anyone??

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We will get the last GM in the NFL. Whoever is left standing after all the other jobs have been filled, whoever is the most desperate.

    Doesn't sound to me like AJ Smith is that kind of person. He has 2 years at $2M per left on his contract, likely going to take a year off and then re-emerge as a top-tier candidate next year.

    SAR I
    Exactly, we will get a second or third tier candidate. The sad thing is that the guy who accepts this job will be under Rex's thumb which means he will be yet another act in the three ring circus. You could even say, what self-respecting and talented GM candidate would want to work for these idiots?

  2. #22
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would def take him over Angelo for sure.
    Firing Marty after a 14-2 season? That takes some freakin balls, we could use someone like that here.

    I don't think he would be afraid to tell Woody that Rex is getting fired either.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    AJ Smith is a massive egomaniac.

    Not only no, but dump the thread.

    He and Rex would be an absolute NIGHTMARE together.

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    AJ Smith is a massive egomaniac.

    Not only no, but dump the thread.

    He and Rex would be an absolute NIGHTMARE together.
    Why dump the thread? He's a legit GM.
    I don't care if he is an egomanac. Maybe he'll put Rex in his place.

  5. #25
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Budgetary constraints of a small market team that doesn't draw well. Smith's strength is his resolve. He never would have publicly hyped Revis inflating both ego and feeling of self worth. He never would of placated Sanchez with that ridiculous mini extension based on hurt feelings. He never would have valued Holmes with gargantuan contract. Smith is tough, he doesn't cave, and he's not afraid to sell during the drafts. He's the type of GM the Jets need, not these juniors willing to deflect to lame duck Wrecks.
    That being said, Smith has had his share of miscues. The Ryan Matthews RB pick was a huge mistake considering the success of low round RBs every year. Sticking with Norv Away was puzzling but I have to believe the psyche of Rivers was always the prime consideration there not to mention a team unwilling to eat big contracts.
    Smith has a nose for finding talent, both thru the draft and UFA. Hitting on a star like Gates from the UFA sets teams apart. Same as nailing a draft with extra picks.
    Smith and Polian are the type of GMs this team needs. not these kids who Wrecks will walk all over
    great post
    i would admit that earlier in his tenure, he had some very solid drafts but as of late, the drafts has been weak as well as free agency.

    great drafts from 04-06 then its completely downhill from there
    07 - buster davis
    08 - cason
    09 - larry english
    10 - mathews
    11 - liuget (jury is still out)

    also factoring in the lack of "good" free agent moves
    (the ESPN article that was quoted earlier articulates what i feel) - "He allowed a steady stream of stars to leave as free agents, including Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Sproles, Michael Turner and Vincent Jackson, while failing to adequately replace them."

    i am not a fan
    i would say that he is more to blame than Norv

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not just that AJ is more to blame than Norv, its that he is also to blame for Norv. It was his ego that got rid of Marty and chose a lackey like Norv who would do his bidding. It was his ego that wouldn't negotiate with VJ and that has allowed the roster to become a mess and shell of its former self.

    People here would hate AJ Smith, for his ego, his surliness, his approach to contracts, as would the media, for the same reasons they hated Mangini.

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    30,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    great post
    i would admit that earlier in his tenure, he had some very solid drafts but as of late, the drafts has been weak as well as free agency.

    great drafts from 04-06 then its completely downhill from there
    07 - buster davis
    08 - cason
    09 - larry english
    10 - mathews
    11 - liuget (jury is still out)

    also factoring in the lack of "good" free agent moves
    (the ESPN article that was quoted earlier articulates what i feel) - "He allowed a steady stream of stars to leave as free agents, including Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Sproles, Michael Turner and Vincent Jackson, while failing to adequately replace them."

    i am not a fan
    i would say that he is more to blame than Norv

    Oh right...forgot about those

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    We're like the fat girl at the eighth grade dance.
    Nope,

    The fat girl puts out quicker and at least gets her claws in SOMEONE! We are the nerd. The lonely lonely nerd.

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Why dump the thread? He's a legit GM.
    I don't care if he is an egomanac. Maybe he'll put Rex in his place.
    He's such a legit GM he got smoked repeatedly in the playoffs with a team with an insanely talented roster.

  10. #30
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    It's not just that AJ is more to blame than Norv, its that he is also to blame for Norv. It was his ego that got rid of Marty and chose a lackey like Norv who would do his bidding. It was his ego that wouldn't negotiate with VJ and that has allowed the roster to become a mess and shell of its former self.

    People here would hate AJ Smith, for his ego, his surliness, his approach to contracts, as would the media, for the same reasons they hated Mangini.
    Marty was the solid conservative coach good enough to get the talented SD teams into the playoffs but he continued to turtle when the stakes were highest. His offensive game plans would make Rush Limbaugh seem like a bleeding liberal. SD had some of the best talent in the league at the time but just like his KC days, Marty was too conservative, too run happy, afraid of any risk. Hiring offensive guru Norv Away was a logical move to get to the next level.
    As far as the infamous contract battles that Smith engaged in, you do what's best for your team, not what's best for the player. NE battles constantly with their stars during negotiations tagging someone 2 out of every three years. Teams confident in their system and depth can be selective unlike teams like the Jets that let agents run all over them. SD was in a position not to back down during the V Jax era opting not to give away the farm to one who played the bad soldier routine too often.
    The 2010 extension for Turner was puzzling, but the guy always seemed to straighten out his team in the second half...he had a track record that was successful.
    I look at the Chicago bears and see an organization that never appears to be on the same page....and i have to believe coaches like Wrecks have successfully sold the idea that the Belichick organization model is the best approach from addressing team needs. Hire a competent fact finding staff to evaluate talent but allow the HC to steer the operation. Is Wrecks capable of wearing multiple hats.....I say not a chance

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    He's such a legit GM he got smoked repeatedly in the playoffs with a team with an insanely talented roster.
    What a silly statement. He put the insanely good roster together. That's where his job ends.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Marty was the solid conservative coach good enough to get the talented SD teams into the playoffs but he continued to turtle when the stakes were highest. His offensive game plans would make Rush Limbaugh seem like a bleeding liberal. SD had some of the best talent in the league at the time but just like his KC days, Marty was too conservative, too run happy, afraid of any risk. Hiring offensive guru Norv Away was a logical move to get to the next level.
    As far as the infamous contract battles that Smith engaged in, you do what's best for your team, not what's best for the player. NE battles constantly with their stars during negotiations tagging someone 2 out of every three years. Teams confident in their system and depth can be selective unlike teams like the Jets that let agents run all over them. SD was in a position not to back down during the V Jax era opting not to give away the farm to one who played the bad soldier routine too often.
    The 2010 extension for Turner was puzzling, but the guy always seemed to straighten out his team in the second half...he had a track record that was successful.
    I look at the Chicago bears and see an organization that never appears to be on the same page....and i have to believe coaches like Wrecks have successfully sold the idea that the Belichick organization model is the best approach from addressing team needs. Hire a competent fact finding staff to evaluate talent but allow the HC to steer the operation. Is Wrecks capable of wearing multiple hats.....I say not a chance
    No, no, and more no. Hiring Norv was not a logical move, it was a move panned by nearly everyone. Had he hired him to be his OC, that would have been one thing, but hiring a proven failure?

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of late AJ Smith has made Chargers fans wax nostalgic for Bobby 'I'll gladly give you a #1 next year for a #2 today' Beathard.

  14. #34
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like
    why do people want retreads

  15. #35
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    No, no, and more no. Hiring Norv was not a logical move, it was a move panned by nearly everyone. Had he hired him to be his OC, that would have been one thing, but hiring a proven failure?
    Dude, you need to take a stroll down memory lane. How many playoff games did Marty win as the SD coach....ZERO. Turner gets hired and they make it to the AFC championship game immediately. In fact, SD hadn't won a playoff game since 1994 (13 years) until Norv Away arrived.

    So, are you going to still maintain that Smith made the wrong call. So what if he had two losing years as the Raiders HC....everyone fails there. Turner was the man in Dallas running that prolific offense with the highest completion % QB and a beast ground attack. In fact Dallas was interviewing Norv for HC at the same time SD was. It was a logical move to hire an aggressive offensive coach and the move paid immediate dividends. Just because only one team wins the SB doesn't mean the other 31 coaches are failures. Norv took SD to a level that hadn't achieved in over a decade. It was absolutely the right call by Smith. Norv delivered 3 consecutive playoff appearances in admittedly unorthodox fashion, sucking early then delivering down the homestretch.
    Listen, I feel creepy defending the guy because he never was an elite coach, but he was a pro coach that delivered results most teams would be proud of.
    Finally, remember not every organization operates the same. SD faced budget constraints many team didn't have to worry about....so Smith had to make hard decisions due to lack of dollars. Those decisions created roster problems that too often spilled over into SD's locker room. Turner dealt with the cards he had and he gave them a nice run. And their run ended when their aging stars could give no more. A common story. People think what Belichick is doing is easy.....an endless supply of victories year in and year out. it doesn't work that way, rosters peak and valley in a cycle....usually a very short cycle. unfortunately, now that the league allows pass happy rules, the few teams that own the elite QB own the NFL.....but this is a recent phenomanon. The cycle theory used to be the norm.
    Norv never had the stud QB, just an up and comer Rivers than never made the leap to the next level....and isn't that what it takes these days.

  16. #36
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Nope,

    The fat girl puts out quicker and at least gets her claws in SOMEONE! We are the nerd. The lonely lonely nerd.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us