Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junior Seau's brain had CTE

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Ramming your head into another guy's head isn't football. Are you that dumb or are you just pretending?

Strong, solid tackles where you lead with your shoulder and turn your head to the side as you wrap your guy up the way way you should play. Senselessly hitting with your head is just stupid.
    Pretty sure it's taught at every level to hit somebody hard while they are making a catch to try to knock the ball loose and sacks can change entire games.

Now you can't hit receivers or QB's. Now guys are hitting 4,000 yards passing with ease.

Montana never hit 4000 yards passing.

Rice set almost every receiving record without protection for being "defenseless."

The rules don't need to change. These guys need to get real.

Alot of the rule changes need tossed out.

Then they need to start better steroid testing too then. Studies show a majority of modern athletes tested with admitted use of anabolic steroids have CTE. Like most mussels the brain is effected too. Making it harder to recover from the damage and quicker deterioration. Football to me doesn't take steroids seriously enough. The fact that they just updated the policy and a 3rd offense is only 1 year that is a disgrace. In baseball it is a lifetime ban now. Still better then Hockey and NBA who really don't care at all still.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Pretty sure it's taught at every level to hit somebody hard while they are making a catch to try to knock the ball loose and sacks can change entire games.

Now you can't hit receivers or QB's. Now guys are hitting 4,000 yards passing with ease.

Montana never hit 4000 yards passing.

Rice set almost every receiving record without protection for being "defenseless."

The rules don't need to change. These guys need to get real.

Alot of the rule changes need tossed out.
    Where did I say to not hit hard? I said to not lead with your head and bash other guys in the skull.

Playing hard != aiming for the head WITH your head.

Where did I say to not hit hard? I said to not lead with your head and bash other guys in the skull.

Playing hard != aiming for the head WITH your head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPm-6ZlTM5o

^ I counted at least 3 illegal hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj_YpBc-G8

At least 3 on here are also helmet-to-helmet.

Guys weren't passing for 4,000 yards back then. Why?

Because receivers were afraid. Getting destroyed was always a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPm-6ZlTM5o

^ I counted at least 3 illegal hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj_YpBc-G8

At least 3 on here are also helmet-to-helmet.

Guys weren't passing for 4,000 yards back then. Why?

Because receivers were afraid. Getting destroyed was always a possibility.
    There are ways to make receivers afraid without putting their health at risk. By that logic, defenders should just pack heat with them since it would make the receivers afraid of them.

"Oh, and LaRon Landry just busted a cap in Victor Cruz' ass! That one's going on the Sportscenter Top 10!"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Then they need to start better steroid testing too then. Studies show a majority of modern athletes tested with admitted use of anabolic steroids have CTE. Like most mussels the brain is effected too. Making it harder to recover from the damage and quicker deterioration. Football to me doesn't take steroids seriously enough. The fact that they just updated the policy and a 3rd offense is only 1 year that is a disgrace. In baseball it is a lifetime ban now. Still better then Hockey and NBA who really don't care at all still.
    Its not so much the steroids as it is HGH. HGH is the NFLs dirty little secret. HGH is way more prevalent than steroids right now. Guys take it to rehab injuries and take it to help their body recover quicker. If anyone thinks that Adrien Petersen recovered from his injury the way he did naturally, you are very naive. There is no testing for HGH right now and players are taking advantage of this.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm all for player safety, but what needs to change in the NFL isn't just a rule or gear change. What needs to change in the NFL is the way some of these guys play. Head hunting and leading with the helmet starts with the player. Fix the player and you'll end up making the game safer.
    Agreed.

In rugby, since they don't have pads, you have to tackle (ie: can't just run into a guy with your shoulder). I don't think that should be applied, but changing the way kids are taught how to play: helmet in the chest, wrap the arms..and things will change.

I think players are changing as well. look at McElroy. You think a 3rd stringer with a chance to showcase his talent would have told the trainers he had headaches while lifting weights 5 years ago?

Things are going in the right direction. Unfortunately for retired players, they paved the way..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Concussions happen when your head snaps fast enough to cause your brain to "bang" up against your skull. The easiest way to get one is a head to head hit but you can get one from a hit to the chest as well if it snaps your head back or forward fast enough to cause one. It's not as easy but you can get one. There's still a lot of research that needs to be done on this one.
    This is why the future of football has become so uncertain. The research seems to be indicating that the repetitive hard collisions of bodies, not heads, is sufficient to cause CTE.

Gifted athletes may well start moving away from football as their sport of choice at a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Lemme make sure I understand this.....the league is not doing enough to provide players with adequate healthcare post-retirement, but those people that are suing the league to obtain said benefits are losers?
    I don't get post retirement healthcare of any sort ...l just sayin ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

There are many jobs that have health hazards they just don't pay as much as Football does.. Military,police,firemen,coal miners etc.. As previously mentioned the players are the ones inflicting harmful hits to the head to other players, that's where the main fault lies.. Just like guns don't kill people people do, in this case it's the players themselves.. Want to save 50,000 lives a year ban cars. Want to prevent drowning? Ban water.. The same with cigarettes,Alcohol,overeating etc Want to take the danger out of living don't be born.. Oh wait abortion has that covered.. Playing football is a choice I'm for safer gear and 100% medical coverage but enough with the pussifacation of the American male..