Thread: Jaguars dismiss Mike Mularkey.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sur-prise?

Not.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    He was Atlanta's OC from 2008-2011. The first year he left their offense skyrocketed.
    Atlanta was ranked #5 in points scored in 2010, #7 in 2011 and #7 in 2012.

In terms of yards, they went from #10 in 2011 to #8 in 2012. They actually had more yards on offense and scored more points in 2011 than in 2012.

So, I'm not sure what you mean.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, now people want to trade places with Jacksonville, the team that has one 1 playoff game in the past 13 seasons, is playing games in London through 2016, can't sell out a game, will most likely end up with Tebow, and might move out of Jax, all because they hired a GM who fired the coach.

Yeah, yay for them! This place is a mess

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    The team never had a losing record under his years as OC.
    but the Jags offense under his watch was horrible. Maybe it was because he didn't have the personnel, I don't know. If we are looking for fired HC's for our OC, Norv would be the only one i would entertain

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Exactly. They're better off without him. They may have just figured out why they could never get past the first game in the playoffs.
    Except it's really not true with respect to Atlanta.

The post was a bunch of...mularkey.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Wow, now people want to trade places with Jacksonville, the team that has one 1 playoff game in the past 13 seasons, is playing games in London through 2016, can't sell out a game, will most likely end up with Tebow, and might move out of Jax, all because they hired a GM who fired the coach.

Who's wishing we were the Jags? We're wishing our owner would let our GM have authority.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mularkey for OC. Please.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    but the Jags offense under his watch was horrible. Maybe it was because he didn't have the personnel, I don't know. If we are looking for fired HC's for our OC, Norv would be the only one i would entertain
    Some people are just better coordinates versus head coaches. Also Mike never got a fair shake in Jacksonville, everyone knows that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what occurs when you have a competent owner.

Oh and his name is KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

So now the Jags are competently run? Interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Please enlighten us about Mr. Khan, just what are his attributes that make him a competent owner other then he let his GM fire the HC.

Did you like the way he handled the MJD contract situation this year, would you have felt the same if Woody handled Revis in the same manner ??
    I think Khan handled the MJD situation great. He made him honor the deal he signed in 2009 and wasnt going to let MJD bully him into giving him anymore money. It would have been foolish for Jax to give MJD anymore money or years. You dont sign aging RBs to a second big contract.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people are just better coordinates versus head coaches. Also Mike never got a fair shake in Jacksonville, everyone knows that.
    Exactly. Mularkey would be a good choice for OC. Rex as DC and Gruden as HC.

Get on the bus!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So now the Jags are competently run? Interesting.
    Khan just took over as owner this season and he has done a very good job thus far in my eyes. The record of this team speaks of the incompetence of the previous owner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I wonder why too. They have no offense or Defense.Maybe because he doesn't like the big city atmosphere, that could be it
    Maybe he didn't want to be under pressure!
    Who really cares about the Jaguars? Not even their fans. You want to make a mark in this profession as a GM, you take a tough job like the Jets.
    If you can make it there you make it anywhere baby!

These guys get the big bucks for a reason, not to be some pansy azzes complaining about having a great defensive mind coaching the team.
    Saying no one would want the Jets GM job is just stupid.
    I'm glad they are taking their sweet Azz time trying to get the guy here they feel has the same vision they do.
    If I owned the Jets , I would also have some type of vision as to what type of team I'm looking for or direction to go in.
    How would you like to be a Dallas fan & have Jurry Jones running the ship.
    By the way, Jurry does know a lot about football, where has that gotten him lately?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Atlanta was ranked #5 in points scored in 2010, #7 in 2011 and #7 in 2012.

In terms of yards, they went from #10 in 2011 to #8 in 2012. They actually had more yards on offense and scored more points in 2011 than in 2012.

So, I'm not sure what you mean.
    I'm sorry, should have said passing offense. They got away from being a primarily ground focused offense and became a passing focused offense. We're looking to do the same.

Matt Ryan went from 4,100 yards to about 4,800 yards (more TDs too) while Michael Turner went from 1,300+ yards to 700 or so.

That's not saying I wouldn't want him, he is certainly capable. Just that he may be the opposite of what Rex is looking for.
    Last edited by JMJ; 01-10-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Exactly. Mularkey would be a good choice for OC. Rex as DC and Gruden as HC.

Get on the bus!!!
    You mean Dungy's whopping boy? I will pass on Gruden.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post

Its a mess because people take a simple comment about how Jax let their new GM fire the HC, and turn it into "Wow, now everyone wants to trade places with Jacksonville". Not one person said that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    mularky for OC would be great

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    I'm sorry, should have said passing offense. They got away from being a primarily ground focused offense and became a passing focused offense. We're looking to do the same.

Matt Ryan went from 4,100 yards to about 4,800 yards (more TDs too) while Michael Turner went from 1,300+ yards to 700 or so.

That's not saying I wouldn't want him, he is certainly capable. Just that he may be the opposite of what Rex is looking for.
    Ryan developed nicely under Mularkey it seems.

It wasn't a big difference in passing yards between 2011 and 2012. Only 317 yards. Who's the say that Mularkey wouldn't have achieved the same?

Was he fired as OC or did he choose to leave because he was offered a HC job?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean Dungy's whopping boy? I will pass on Gruden.
    I'd take Gruden over Rex as HC on any day that ends in a "Y."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a relatively new owner who is still learning the game. However, he had the mental capacity to do what was needed to clean up the Jaguars mess. He cleaned house in the front office and then allowed his new GM to make a final decision on the coaching staff. That is the way the most successful franchises turn it around. I do not hate Woody, but at the end of the day he handled this process the wrong way.
    So he made a move that's perceived to be the correct move by the masses, that in of itself makes him a competent owner. Again, i'm not riding you but I think a lot of people here are overestimating just how much impact an owner has on a team. Basically, you want an owner who allows his GM and staff the financial backing that they need. Woody , has done that , he's consistently spent up to the cap and has been willing to eat contracts of fired HC's & Gm's.

The rest of the crap circus & all that is just a manifestation of the NY media and the SOJF mentality that is drawn to it like a moth to a light.