Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaguars dismiss Mike Mularkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Ryan developed nicely under Mularkey it seems.

It wasn't a big difference in passing yards between 2011 and 2012. Only 317 yards. Who's the say that Mularkey wouldn't have achieved the same?

Was he fired as OC or did he choose to leave because he was offered a HC job?
    interviewed multiple places but was offered

would have been a hell of a promo, get fired as OC, hired as HC
    lol

Why would Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    He is a relatively new owner who is still learning the game. However, he had the mental capacity to do what was needed to clean up the Jaguars mess. He cleaned house in the front office and then allowed his new GM to make a final decision on the coaching staff. That is the way the most successful franchises turn it around. I do not hate Woody, but at the end of the day he handled this process the wrong way.
    If Woody Johnson didn't think he could win with Ryan, He'd be gone. He's keeping him,why,because he thinks he's cute.He could be wrong, but he could be right.There are no definites here, with anything

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    interviewed multiple places but was offered

would have been a hell of a promo, get fired as OC, hired as HC
    lol
    It was kind of a rhetorical question.

So let's hire a freshly fired HC who was a middle of the road OC previously, to be our OC. Didn't we just do this? Is it Ground Hogs Day already?

And the bad organization knows what's right? Hah, I love how people who want to blast the Jets point towards Jacksonville and say "Hey, they are doing it the right way."

In the NFL the coach is more important than the GM. The GM should merely be an extension of the coach in terms of getting the players that fit the system and scheme. Kansas City realized this and are doing so.

Parcells always wanted it that way and Belichick has had it that way for years now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    So let's hire a freshly fired HC who was a middle of the road OC previously, to be our OC. Didn't we just do this? Is it Ground Hogs Day already?
    Middle of the road? The guy had his offense #5 in 2010 and #7 in 2011 before he left for Jax.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And the bad organization knows what's right? Hah, I love how people who want to blast the Jets point towards Jacksonville and say "Hey, they are doing it the right way."

In the NFL the coach is more important than the GM. The GM should merely be an extension of the coach in terms of getting the players that fit the system and scheme. Kansas City realized this and are doing so.

Parcells always wanted it that way and Belichick has had it that way for years now.
    You DO know that Jacksonville has a better winning percentage than the Jets do since 1995?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Middle of the road? The guy had his offense #5 in 2010 and #7 in 2011 before he left for Jax.
    Come on.. that's middle of the road for us Jets fans. We're spoiled, right? I mean it's not like it's been 14 years since we've had a top 10 offense.

Tony Sparano had the Cowboys offense #5 in 2006 and #3 in 2007 before he left for Miami.

Just saying.

Except it's really not true with respect to Atlanta.

The post was a bunch of...mularkey.
    there's more to offense than racking up yards and points in the regular season

2011 another early exit from the playoffs for the Falcons as they score 2 pts

What it means: This was much more than just a loss. This was devastating for the entire Falcons organization. Yeah, give the Giants credit for winning the game. But give the Falcons plenty of blame for losing. This team had sent out a strong signal that the Super Bowl was the goal when it traded up to draft Julio Jones and signed free-agent defensive end Ray Edwards. The Falcons didn’t even come close to the Super Bowl. For the second straight year -- and the third time in four years -- the Falcons lost their opening playoff game.
    2012, Atlanta knocks Giants out of the playoffs
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.

All League
    Tony Sparano had the Cowboys offense #5 in 2006 and #3 in 2007 before he left for Miami.

Just saying.
    Tony Sparano was never an offensive coordinator. He was a CO offensive coordinator, and that was only for one year, 2006.

Mularkey has had MULTIPLE very successful stints as an offensive coordinator (leading to multiple head coaching gigs). He may not be suited to be a head coach, but he's clearly qualified to be an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Just saying.
    Let's not let a good story get in the way of the facts. Sparano called the plays as an 'assistant head coach' in 2006, yes. But he needed Todd Haley as a 'passing game coordinator'.. whatever the **** that means.

The Cowboys were so impressed with Sparano that they brought in Jason Garrett in 2007 as OC.

I like both him and Whisenhunt as possible offensive coordinators next year.

Whisenhunt is one of the few I think who could both directly work with Rex and possibly make Sanchez lead this team to a surprising 7-9 or even 9-7 season next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ryan developed nicely under Mularkey it seems.

It wasn't a big difference in passing yards between 2011 and 2012. Only 317 yards. Who's the say that Mularkey wouldn't have achieved the same?

Was he fired as OC or did he choose to leave because he was offered a HC job?
    That's not true. Matt Ryan in 2011:

• 61% - 4,177 yds - 29 TDs

Matt Ryan 2012:

• 69% - 4,719 yds - 32 TDs
    Last edited by JMJ; 01-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    there's more to football than racking up yards and points in the regular season
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't think anyone around here would mind a coach that racks up yards and points in the regular season. It's been a long time since we've had that (2008 Favre?)

You DO know that Jacksonville has a better winning percentage than the Jets do since 1995?
    LOL at "since 1995". We have more AFCCG appearances since 2009. And was this guy the owner from 1995-2010?

Jets Insider VIP

Just saying.
    Tony Sparano was never the OC with the Cowboys. He split duities with Haley in 2006 and Jason Garrett was their OC in 2007.

Anyway, what does that have to do with the fact that you were shown that Mularkey's offense wasn't middle of the road as you stated?

Mularkey has had 8 years of experience as an OC.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Two candidates for the Jaguars HC job are expected to be 49ers OC Greg Roman and Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    That's not true. Matt Ryan in 2011:

• 61% - 4,177 yds - 29 TDs

Matt Ryan 2012:

• 69% - 4,719 yds - 32 TDs
    I saw that after you said it. I was looking at footballreference.com and it had the Falcons offensive passing numbers different from Ryan's passing numbers. Not sure why.

Jets Insider VIP
    I saw that after you said it. I was looking at footballreference.com and it had the Falcons offensive passing numbers different from Ryan's passing numbers. Not sure why.
    All good. Don't think he would be a bad hire, I just think the Jets are looking to get more aerial and I believe he is a run-game guy at heart. All I'm saying. He's certainly competent.