Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "I STILL BELIEVE IN REX" Thread

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add me to the list. I believe in Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    OMG, where do I even begin with this nonsense post...

So Woody doesn't know football so how can he possibly know if Rex is the guy?

AND YOU DO KNOW IF REX IS THE GUY?! The only thing you have to go on is what Woody and all the rest of us see with our own two eyes. Two consecutive AFC Championship appearances and two bad years in his FIRST stint as a HC.

Bill Bellichick SUCKED as a HC his first time. Rex is a million times better than BB ever was in their first HCing stints.

The proof is in the RESULTS.

You also mention he promised things for 4 years? That's your fault if you actually believe COACH SPEAK. In fact, I can't but think it is DUMB. I'm not trying to insult you here, really I'm not. But you really need to learn to form your own opinion about the team and not hang on a coaches words.
    Results? Haha, what results? A 9-7 year where we snuck into the playoffs and lost in the AFCCG after Rex PROMISED us that we'd win the Superbowl, an 8-8 year where we fell apart and Rex couldn't put us back together, and a 6-10 year where we completely got embarrassed and become the laughing stock of the league? Oh, but one good year where we also lost in the AFCCG is worth it. Wow, what great results!

My opinion on Rex is formed based on the fact that he's done absolutely NOTHING for us. If you like the way his balls taste, then enjoy. I, for one, will not blindly back a fool who makes our team a complete joke.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post

Do u not think Woody wants a NY Superbowl???
    I want to have sex with Cindy Crawford..Ill even say it on a JETS message board.

However, my actions tell you it is NOT happening.

THAT sums up Woody Johnsons approach and wanting a SB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is keeping his job because:

1) Say what you will, but he IS one of the best defensive minds in all of football and that's really NEVER going to change. Ever.
    Yeah look at how Bill Belichick's teams have always been strong defensively through the years, never ever becoming a bottom of the barrel defense.

Once a defensive genius, always a defensive genius. This league never changes or adapts. That's why the 46 is still such a predominate and unbeatable defense, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Jet Genius.

You either like Rex's personality or don't but I'd rather have his personality coaching me then a Tom Conklin of the Giants. How many years did it take Bill Cowher of the Steelers to get to the SB. Pittsburgh had Big Ben and they didn't make it to the playoffs this year. Sometimes dings don't go your way and obviously it didn't for us this year. So we correct our mistakes, draft wisely and give it another shot and err-a-ding like dat.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Herm Edwards only had down years when he was HC because Chad kept getting hurt. Yes Herm talked his team up but he was a realist as well. He was willing to make the tough decsion and in fact the UNPOPULAR decision to sit Vinnie down and insert Chad for example.

Herm was also was all about challenging the players. Rememeber when Herm told Chad that he would be good but never great if he didn't stop being so hesitent with the ball....People out criticised Herm to no end out here but he was right.

Rex said "we have three quailty starters at the QB position that most teams would love to have"!!! Was that true?

Herm said Brooks Bollinger "we will do the best we can" and he was killed by one Jet reporter in particular and tons of posters out here. Indeed people said such things that if herm knew what he was doing Bollinger would be a top QB in the NFL.

Rex on the other hand gets a top prospect in Sanchez and after his and the teams "coaching", Sanchez's confidence is shot and he looks worse than many college QBs IMO!!!

At the end of the day Herm was a poor game manager no question, but ask yourself this is Rex somehow head and shoulders above Herm as a game manager? I don't think so.....

So while I want to give Rex more time as HC I am under no illusions as to his so called mastery as a HC as some are out here
    You talking to me?? I loved Herm..

It just seems to me he was missing one element that we just couldn't pinpoint!!

But Herm's years were GREAT years as far as I am concerned it was just the same case as it is now.. The PATRIOTS were there!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Unfortunately, when you look at Sanchez, McElroy and Tebow, what Rex said was the truth.

Sanchez gave us the best chance to win. What he didn't say was that the chance was about 31%.
    I guess the single snap you saw of McElroy was enough to determine that, eh?

So you trust the guys who made the same amazing decisions that Ducasse and Kyle Wilson are NFL-caliber players and drafted them in the first two rounds.

It's this simple:

This regime has been all about wishful thinking and the reek of wishful thinking is permeating the fan base now.

You can WISH all you want that Mark Sanchez is a franchise QB, but if you continue to deny that he's not, that's your screwed up perception of the reality. This past season (2012) not only was he not a franchise QB, but he simply wasn't even viable as a NFL QB. He finished 34th in passer rating. There were BETTER STATISTICAL BACKUPS.

It goes to Rex, too. You can WISH all you want that he's a Super Bowl coach and generate whatever false reality around him that you want, but here's the truth:

A) If his defense requires two stud CB's to function that are going to eat up massive amounts of cap space, then his system won't win a Super Bowl.

B) He doesn't know anything about offense. At no point during his presser did he ever acknowledge that passing wins championships. His MO seems to be "I'd rather the offense would just run it, so they don't **** it up for my defense." Defense, Rex, hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2000. You should know this, you were there.

C) HE HAS A DAMNED TATTOO OF HIS STARTING QB'S NUMBER ON HIS BODY. THAT'S COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    OMG, where do I even begin with this nonsense post...

So Woody doesn't know football so how can he possibly know if Rex is the guy?

AND YOU DO KNOW IF REX IS THE GUY?! The only thing you have to go on is what Woody and all the rest of us see with our own two eyes. Two consecutive AFC Championship appearances and two bad years in his FIRST stint as a HC.

Bill Bellichick SUCKED as a HC his first time. Rex is a million times better than BB ever was in their first HCing stints.

The proof is in the RESULTS.

You also mention he promised things for 4 years? That's your fault if you actually believe COACH SPEAK. In fact, I can't but think it is DUMB. I'm not trying to insult you here, really I'm not. But you really need to learn to form your own opinion about the team and not hang on a coaches words.
    better question is what has BB ever done without Tom Brady? The guy is 1 of the best qbs ever to play the game.. Like Peyton, he doesnt even need a OC and often picks his own plays...This is a Qb's league.. You will have to go back to maybe baltimore in 2000 to find a team who made it to a AFC/nfc championship with a qb who was as average or less than mark Sanchez..Is Denver's John Fox suddenly the best coach in the NFL? mark was never even a top 20 qb..I will give him credit for coming up big in the end of a few games in 09,10.But he dug himself in most of those holes in those games because he could never play great from start to finish. IN 09 AFCCG He couldnt lead O to any points in 2nd half. In 10 AFCCG he led the Jets to O t -4 points. a field goal then he fumbled and Pitt returned for td putting us in huge hole to end half.

he is now not even a top 30.. Usually if you have the worst qb in the league, you have the worst team in the league.. Surprisely we won 6 games with Sanchez.. Rex can put that on his resume..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    How many years did it take Bill Cowher of the Steelers to get to the SB.
    Four (4).

Bill Cowher led the Steelers to the playoffs each of his first six (6) sesons with the team, winning the division five (5) times. Oh, and his QBs were Bubby Brister and Neil O'Donnell.

What's your point? That this is somehow comparable to Rex? In what way exactly?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Congrats.
    Really?

Because the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life is Post #1 in this thread.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know that NO ONE EVER (that's in the history of football) EVER went to the Superbowl as a Rookie HC??? he almost went in his first two years and had a rookie QB with the same personnel as the HC who proceeded him.. You can't say that's not impressive.
    That's not impressive.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Who in the hell besides a few Jets fans are still bragging about back-to-back AFCCG LOSSES? Wow, Rex's teams failed to get the job done TWICE in a row, and then went 8-8 and 6-10 the next following seasons.

WHOA, BETTER SIGN THAT COACH TO AN EXTENSION! GOTTA PREPARE HIS BUST FOR CANTON!
    It takes four wins to get a Super Bowl title, for three consecutive years all Rex could muster was two.

That's like saying Art Howe is a great manager because the Mets lost in six games in the first round once.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you talking about

Woody WANTS to win a Superbowl, but he doesn't know football so how can he possibly know if Rex is the guy that can do so? Rex has fooled Woody into thinking he's some genius with all his bombastic swagger and smooth talk. Rex promises things to us every damn year and he has FAILED to do so. And now he's getting a pass after failing for 4 years? WHAT!?

> Promise things for 4 years
    > Fail every single year
    > Get vote of confidence from Owner, have him think you're a genius

In the last four years we've failed?Compared to who.New England, who if it wasn't for Brady woul have finished 2nd in the division the first two years as a HC.Who are these other teams in the AFC, looking at the four years in whole, has had this great run. Did you watch us beat New England, in New England.That Defensive game plan was genius. There is no other coach who uses corners,as brilliantly as Rex. Yes i know he's a head coach.Every HC,came over from one side of the ball.Sean Payton doesn't know Squat about Defense,he needs astrong DC to handle that end. Rex needs a strong, experienced OC, to handle the offense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It takes four wins to get a Super Bowl title, for three consecutive years all Rex could muster was two.

That's like saying Art Howe is a great manager because the Mets lost in six games in the first round once.

SAR I
    But but but bess defensive mind in da league, SAR. To deny koolaid and accept reality is soo SOJF, SAR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jet Genius you should have made this a poll. I think it would be 50/50 to keep Rex.

In 2009,2010 nobody was calling for Rex'x head. Football is a lot like batting averages. When you hit .400 you are the best. NE and Denver both have Babe Ruth on their team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    i love seeing everyone bi*ch and complain without any alternatives. whats the alternative if you want rex and sanchez to absolutely die? personally, im happy with both. ive been a jet fan through disgusting coaching and qb years in the 80s and 90s, for once we are actually relevant (other than '98) this last 4 years and have media attention. enjoy it and stop being a typical "ny-instant gratification, i listen to stephen smith and love him, what have you done for me lately, the reality of the situation is i just dont see it with him" type of fan. present realistic alternatives. qb and coach - what are realistic alternatives? "lets go get an RG3 tpe and get gruden!" thats not realistic. give me realistic sh**.

Results? Haha, what results? A 9-7 year where we snuck into the playoffs and lost in the AFCCG after Rex PROMISED us that we'd win the Superbowl, an 8-8 year where we fell apart and Rex couldn't put us back together, and a 6-10 year where we completely got embarrassed and become the laughing stock of the league? Oh, but one good year where we also lost in the AFCCG is worth it. Wow, what great results!

My opinion on Rex is formed based on the fact that he's done absolutely NOTHING for us. If you like the way his balls taste, then enjoy. I, for one, will not blindly back a fool who makes our team a complete joke.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    But but but bess defensive mind in da league, SAR. To deny koolaid and accept reality is soo SOJF, SAR.
    +1

The shoe is on the other foot now. It is clear that Rex Ryan is a moron. Every NFL expert, everyone in the media, beat writers with 25 years experience, every fan of the other 31 teams in the league all feel Rex Ryan is an idiotic clown with a boss who is his puppet.

These threads are in reverse now. No longer do we have to make the case that Rex Ryan is a bad coach; the onus is now on them to prove that Rex Ryan is a good coach.

Good luck with that.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1

The shoe is on the other foot now. It is clear that Rex Ryan is a moron. Every NFL expert, everyone in the media, beat writers with 25 years experience, every fan of the other 31 teams in the league all feel Rex Ryan is an idiotic clown with a boss who is his puppet.

These threads are in reverse now. No longer do we have to make the case that Rex Ryan is a bad coach; the onus is now on them to prove that Rex Ryan is a good coach.

Good luck with that.

SAR I
    Yes, this. The beauty of it all is that his detractors don't have to make a case for it, either; Rex does it all on his own.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post
    i love seeing everyone bi*ch and complain without any alternatives. whats the alternative if you want rex and sanchez to absolutely die? personally, im happy with both. ive been a jet fan through disgusting coaching and qb years in the 80s and 90s, for once we are actually relevant (other than '98) this last 4 years and have media attention. enjoy it and stop being a typical "ny-instant gratification, i listen to stephen smith and love him, what have you done for me lately, the reality of the situation is i just dont see it with him" type of fan. present realistic alternatives. qb and coach - what are realistic alternatives? "lets go get an RG3 tpe and get gruden!" thats not realistic. give me realistic sh**.
    The Jets need a complete and utter rebuild.

From the ground up, every player and every coach has to be evaluated and ultimately replaced. We are in a race to be the one team in the AFC East that is ready to take control when Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire in 2016. That's all that matters. We have to be 100% ready to rattle off a 12 win season in 2016. So every day that goes by that we do not begin the rebuild is another year we are not going to be able to win the division.

Heaven help us if the Buffalo Bills or Miami Dolphins get their act together in the front office before we do. Right now, they are taking steps to get better. All we are doing is treading water.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    my personal favorite is all those jet fans on here that sound like stephen a smith and mike greenberg, who i view as "fairweather instant gratification NY fans." the most common is "we aint gonna be better than 4-12 next season - the predictions based on pessimism. same type of NY folks who wanted eli and coughlin's head right before their super bowl magical run, and same folkks who said jets would be 2-14 the year pennington went into camp with no running game and barlow was our #1 back and we finished 10-6 in the playoffs. im so tired of the "i know all, we suck and need a new coach, qb, etc., blow it all up." give it time, let chemistry build and make some small changes that help our staff and qb. otherwise, go hang out with greeney, the most annoying jet fan ive ever heard