Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "I STILL BELIEVE IN REX" Thread

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    There's a reason why John Harbaugh got the job over Rex.

Look at Baltimore over the time since Billick's firing!

Rex was "passed over" for that job in his mind, too.

When it's clear: He's a great defensive coordinator, probably the best in the NFL, but he's not a head coach.
    Those are the facts. They cannot be argued.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No, and I don't listen to that station either.

Gee, could it be that he's about my age and has been a Jets fan as long as I have been and, you know, can see clearly?

I don't know who you are or where you came from to suddenly have this presence on JI, but start listening to what others are saying, get out of your bubble.

I like Mark Sanchez too, bro. I think he got a bum deal, I think he had no playmakers, I think that given the right situation he can get a lot better. But as long as Rex Ryan is here there's no point.

SAR I
    ive been on here a few years actually, ever since the first PSL thread that went on for months, maybe even years (I joined right after I bought PSLs)...then i left for a bit, now ive started paying attention more ever since our team has started stinking, and wondering what everyone is saying.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Mangini, 3 and out, Ryan 4 and out sounds like the O. That's not how the NFL works, consistency is what works unless you catch lightening in a bottle.
    Head coaches last an average of 3.5 seasons.

We are entering season 5.

We have given "consistency" a chance. It's not working. Wrong coach.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    SAR, you know damn well there aren't 10 reasons why Wrecks is a good HC. Shame on you.
    You know how the Ryan Apologists always hit you with the "so who do you want to replace him?" straw-man?

Well the "give me 10 reasons why Rex Ryan is a great head coach" is a retort. Copy/Paste that blank list. Use it over and over during the coming months. No one will even try to fill it in. Because once you get past "good defensive coordinator" you've got a bit of a content challenge.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Tannenbaum's supposed cap "disasters" never occurred. That was what was so great about him. Every few seasons we'd hear about the Mayan Apocalypse that was going to cripple us. Then we'd sign a bunch of free agents. Then we had no cap issues. Was like magic.

I am more concerned about the players that Rex chose than the money they make. Like your voodoo leader himself said "We are not going to let contracts or money stand in the way of choosing the best talent."

Oops.

SAR I
    No. it's the cap. Here's a little lesson: Yes, the free agents were signed, but they don't make the same amount of money each season! Tanny, for some reason, pushed off these huge caps hits to 2012 and 2013.

The Jets have 11 guys due to make at least $6.16 million toward the cap next season (including your buddy Sanchez's deal). Some of those guys will come off the books during cuts, but the contracts are killing the cap. They can't sign NFL caliber depth with no money. That is a fact you cannot deny.

Belichick makes personnel decisions, yet they only have 3 players who will make over 6.16 million. They write smart contracts, leave themselves plenty of money to sign quality depth. That is why they are always good. Simple as that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by PMarsico9
    There's a reason why John Harbaugh got the job over Rex.

Look at Baltimore over the time since Billick's firing!

Rex was "passed over" for that job in his mind, too.

When it's clear: He's a great defensive coordinator, probably the best in the NFL, but he's not a head coach.

SAR I
    Fact. Billick won a superbowl. How many has Harbaugh won?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know how the Ryan Apologists always hit you with the "so who do you want to replace him?" straw-man?

Well the "give me 10 reasons why Rex Ryan is a great head coach" is a retort. Copy/Paste that blank list. Use it over and over during the coming months. No one will even try to fill it in. Because once you get past "good defensive coordinator" you've got a bit of a content challenge.

SAR I
    Do things like "he makes me want to go to war for him, doe! rah rah!" count? I mean, that's pretty much all he's got: A (generally) good defense, and a rah-rah attitude. Other than that, I'm honestly not sure what it is that makes him a great HC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post
    using that logic, how would you define herm and mangini's up and down tenures? seems like the jets were in the playoffs every other year during both. thats just one example that shows your logic is flawed. nfl is way too difficult to predict...

Herm and Mangini's up-and-down tenures are called "Chad Pennington".

In the last 15 years, the Jets have averaged 9.5 wins per season with a 100% healthy quarterback. It is because our core (lines, D, running game, ST's) have been strong enough to thrive with a fresh new QB but not strong enough to survive a third stringer to Pennington.

Without knowing it, your Jets have been an elite AFC team since 1997. The window on that has now closed because your head coach and de-facto GM screwed up the talent on every side of the ball and on the sidelines.

Sad, I know, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you. I'm just as mad. But at least I'm mad at the right person, at least I know who the villain is.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I'm cautious when it comes to people telling me, "But, dude, he said he realizes that he was to blame! Dude, he said he wants an attacking offense!", and all those sort of things. At this point, I've come to realize that Rex may KNOW his methods aren't working, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to just do them anyway.

Rex Ryan is insanity incarnate.
    I don't know what's worse.

Rex Ryan telling us the same story three times in the last four years or the fans who hear Rex Ryan telling us the same story three times in the last four years who believe it.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    actually, the post you were referring to, none of those were facts. None. Statements of opinion, not facts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Since Billick is gone, the Ravens have just as many rings as Rex. ZIP. And it's not happening this year. They're just bridesmaids now
    Because the "it's all about the defense!" strategy that's been lingering since 2000 in Baltimore doesn't work.

Good thing we're running it too, right?

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive been on here a few years actually, ever since the first PSL thread that went on for months, maybe even years (I joined right after I bought PSLs)...then i left for a bit, now ive started paying attention more ever since our team has started stinking, and wondering what everyone is saying.
    That's cool, glad that you're back.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Herm and Mangini's up-and-down tenures are called "Chad Pennington".

In the last 15 years, the Jets have averaged 9.5 wins per season with a 100% healthy quarterback. It is because our core (lines, D, running game, ST's) have been strong enough to thrive with a fresh new QB but not strong enough to survive a third stringer to Pennington.

Without knowing it, your Jets have been an elite AFC team since 1997. The window on that has now closed because your head coach and de-facto GM screwed up the talent on every side of the ball and on the sidelines.

Sad, I know, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you. I'm just as mad. But at least I'm mad at the right person, at least I know who the villain is.

SAR I
    i agree with you on letting go of the playmakers, as i said before. but i think that was all tanny....i dont think rex wanted to let leon, b smith, cotch, braylon, t jones, and all the other valuable guys go...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the "it's all about the defense!" strategy that's been lingering since 2000 in Baltimore doesn't work.

SAR I
    Well when your defense is on the field at least 5 more possessions per game than your offense thanks to turnovers and continuous 3 and outs, you are kind of forced to run it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do things like "he makes me want to go to war for him, doe! rah rah!" count? I mean, that's pretty much all he's got: A (generally) good defense, and a rah-rah attitude. Other than that, I'm honestly not sure what it is that makes him a great HC.
    Oh, 100 years ago he lost two mid-round playoff games to the two teams that lost the Super Bowl.

It's amazing. We got t-shirts and everything.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    actually, the post you were referring to, none of those were facts. None. Statements of opinion, not facts.
    Oh, so this is a library and you're the proofreader? What's next? Spelling errors?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Who cares man? what's done is done Rex is here for atleast another year . Why are you still crying about this .. Move on already .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with you on letting go of the playmakers, as i said before. but i think that was all tanny....i dont think rex wanted to let leon, b smith, cotch, braylon, t jones, and all the other valuable guys go...
    I asked this question earlier, what playmakers were let go and what have they done since leaving the Jets?

1) Leon Washington wanted big $, he wasn't worth it for a returner. Goes to Seattle and what is he? A returner.

2) Thomas Jones had no good seasons with KC.

3) Brad Smith, whom I liked, went to Buffalo for a lot of money and has done next to nothing. Ooh, he scored vs. the Jets! That justifies the $15 mill

4) Cotchery begged out, barely sees the field in Pittsburgh.

Other guys Woody, T. Rich, Jenkins all were kept then retired.
    Others Mangini/Herm guys are still with the team: Mangold, Brick, Moore, BT, Harris, Devito, Po'uha, Revis, Leonhard (ok, he's gone), E. Smith.

So actually, Rex kept a ton of key players from Mangini/Herm era.
    Last edited by BamaJets; 01-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, so this is a library and you're the proofreader? What's next? Spelling errors?

SAR I
    Well if something is posted that isn't true, I call it out. Next time, do your homework before trying to force something that's not there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, 100 years ago he lost two mid-round playoff games to the two teams that lost the Super Bowl.

It's amazing. We got t-shirts and everything.

SAR I
    lol, some people are still wearing those t-shirts like a god damn badge of honor. You know what I mean? "Awwwww, YEAH! ALMOST AFC CHAMPS UP IN THE HOUSE, SON! WE'RE THE ALMOST CHAMPS, *****ES!".

At this point, it's more pathetic than funny.