Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "I STILL BELIEVE IN REX" Thread

The Official "I STILL BELIEVE IN REX" Thread

Hello everyone, I know I don't post as often as I used to (or like for that matter), but I find it important to start this thread considering the amount of changes in line.

In order to appreciate this 'point of view', we all must be on the same level. So here it is: WOODY WANTS THE NEW YORK SUPERBOWL.

That's it. Clean cut. Black and White. Clear as day.

Now. Usually, when an owner fires a GM it means a new GM will comes in and CLEAN HOUSE. I agree with that philosophy, as do most other people because frankly, it's the best way to do things; especially if you're targeting a valued GM- one who would WANT to sign a new coaching staff and call it his.. It works that way with everything, not just professional sports; Anytime someone is asked to be the "boss" they want to surround themselves with people they know and trust- not too many people want to step into a situation where they "have to get along" with everyone.

So based on this decision by Woody- we can honestly say "This is the wrong move."

Woody has fired the GM and OC (and others), but insists he wants Rex as the HC.. this RARELY works.. Most would say you need to either FIRE EVERYONE or KEEP EVERYONE (well, maybe not Sparano).

The reason behind this is because Woody wants a New York Superbowl.

If he were to CLEAN HOUSE- then there would be an even less chance of making the Superbowl in 2014. A rebuilding stage is OBSOLETE for this franchise, especially this year.

Rex is keeping his job because:

1) Say what you will, but he IS one of the best defensive minds in all of football and that's really NEVER going to change. Ever.

2) His first two seasons they were 30mins away from the Superbowl.

3) He didn't clean house when he showed up.

Rex' biggest attribute and ironically, his Achilles heal is his LOYALTY AND TRUST. His style is like no other. He coaches people up- that's who he is.. He CREATED people like Bart Scott because he tells people that he believes in them. He's extremely confident in that approach and it's the reason why he picks people up like AARON MAYBIN & Santonio Holmes & Braylon Edwards- bc when everyone else doesn't believe in you, he has a way of getting the best out of you.

This is the sole reason why he stayed with Sanchez for so long; TRUST... He cannot let Mark know that he doesn't believe in him anymore.. Now, there could be a lot more to it than just that (concerning Mark) because he is the franchise QB drafted #5 overall who is making 8M per year. That has a lot to do with it also- if you were to bench him, his trade value will drop; that's a bad combination when your QB is the highest paid player on the team. Sanchez is forced to be QB so that he can audition for other teams.

When Rex was hired 4 years ago He did NOT clean house... which is what most HC's would have done... He kept Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Westoff and pretty much instilled a perennial, aggressive LOUD MOUTH Defense-- We had a nice offense at the time- the line had probowlers, our fullback was incredible, LT was out to prove something-- Our lights out defense combined with our marginal offense and good STs is why we ever stood a chance... last year the defense was stellar- but the offense and ST sucked... not to mention losing our best player on defense and our best player on offense didn't help.

I know a lot of you will say: "Mangini left Rex all that nice talent." Well, maybe that's true- however the defense was not nearly as good until Rex kicked the door in... & btw, most would've assumed Rex would draft a defensive player as his first duty, but they didn't.. they took a QB. That's how confident they were in Rex's defensive coaching.

Not to mention, the people Rex has drafted are turning out pretty damn good... A lot of us liked John Connor a lot, it's too bad he's gone he couldn't stay healthy... Shonn Greene is still our #1- a lot of you don't like him, but he led the nation in rushing yards in Iowa and he flat out runs people over- he is a ground and pound back.. Quinton Coples is the real deal and so is Mo Wilkerson- that's all Rex... So is Kyle Wilson- I know a lot of you hate him, but hey the Jets didn't allow ONE 100-yard receiver all year- it's taking Wilson some time, but I think he's a solid as could be for a nickle-back... Also, bringing in our two Safeties was huge- we now have two of the hardest hitting DBs in football.

Rex reminds me of Parcells- A ground and pound, with great defense-- where these two men separate is "cut throat." Rex' style is to believe in his players and coach them up// Parcells was not like that at all- in fact he would often coach people down.. but, he didn't want to be your friend; he instilled a locker room that knew "They'll always be someone behind you ready to step up and take your job."<<< this is the biggest weakness of Rex'... that he's not 'cut throat.'.... but can you really blame him? his style has worked more times than not- it's just a shame our QB couldn't handle it.

So that's it- my two cents.. I strictly believe Rex gives us the best chance to win IN 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post
    Hello everyone, I know I don't post as often as I used to (or like for that matter), but I find it important to start this thread considering the amount of changes in line.

In order to appreciate this 'point of view', we all must be on the same level. So here it is: WOODY WANTS THE NEW YORK SUPERBOWL.

That's it. Clean cut. Black and White. Clear as day.

Now. Usually, when an owner fires a GM it means a new GM will comes in and CLEAN HOUSE. I agree with that philosophy, as do most other people because frankly, it's the best way to do things; especially if you're targeting a valued GM- one who would WANT to sign a new coaching staff and call it his.. It works that way with everything, not just professional sports; Anytime someone is asked to be the "boss" they want to surround themselves with people they know and trust- not too many people want to step into a situation where they "have to get along" with everyone.

So based on this decision by Woody- we can honestly say "This is the wrong move."

Woody has fired the GM and OC (and others), but insists he wants Rex as the HC.. this RARELY works.. Most would say you need to either FIRE EVERYONE or KEEP EVERYONE (well, maybe not Sparano).

The reason behind this is because Woody wants a New York Superbowl.

If he were to CLEAN HOUSE- then there would be an even less chance of making the Superbowl in 2014. A rebuilding stage is OBSOLETE for this franchise, especially this year.

Rex is keeping his job because:

1) Say what you will, but he IS one of the best defensive minds in all of football and that's really NEVER going to change. Ever.

2) His first two seasons they were 30mins away from the Superbowl.

3) He didn't clean house when he showed up.

Rex' biggest attribute and ironically, his Achilles heal is his LOYALTY AND TRUST. His style is like no other. He coaches people up- that's who he is.. He CREATED people like Bart Scott because he tells people that he believes in them. He's extremely confident in that approach and it's the reason why he picks people up like AARON MAYBIN & Santonio Holmes & Braylon Edwards- bc when everyone else doesn't believe in you, he has a way of getting the best out of you.

This is the sole reason why he stayed with Sanchez for so long; TRUST... He cannot let Mark know that he doesn't believe in him anymore.. Now, there could be a lot more to it than just that (concerning Mark) because he is the franchise QB drafted #5 overall who is making 8M per year. That has a lot to do with it also- if you were to bench him, his trade value will drop; that's a bad combination when your QB is the highest paid player on the team. Sanchez is forced to be QB so that he can audition for other teams.

When Rex was hired 4 years ago He did NOT clean house... which is what most HC's would have done... He kept Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Westoff and pretty much instilled a perennial, aggressive LOUD MOUTH Defense-- We had a nice offense at the time- the line had probowlers, our fullback was incredible, LT was out to prove something-- Our lights out defense combined with our marginal offense and good STs is why we ever stood a chance... last year the defense was stellar- but the offense and ST sucked... not to mention losing our best player on defense and our best player on offense didn't help.

I know a lot of you will say: "Mangini left Rex all that nice talent." Well, maybe that's true- however the defense was not nearly as good until Rex kicked the door in... & btw, most would've assumed Rex would draft a defensive player as his first duty, but they didn't.. they took a QB. That's how confident they were in Rex's defensive coaching.

Not to mention, the people Rex has drafted are turning out pretty damn good... A lot of us liked John Connor a lot, it's too bad he's gone he couldn't stay healthy... Shonn Greene is still our #1- a lot of you don't like him, but he led the nation in rushing yards in Iowa and he flat out runs people over- he is a ground and pound back.. Quinton Coples is the real deal and so is Mo Wilkerson- that's all Rex... So is Kyle Wilson- I know a lot of you hate him, but hey the Jets didn't allow ONE 100-yard receiver all year- it's taking Wilson some time, but I think he's a solid as could be for a nickle-back... Also, bringing in our two Safeties was huge- we now have two of the hardest hitting DBs in football.

Rex reminds me of Parcells- A ground and pound, with great defense-- where these two men separate is "cut throat." Rex' style is to believe in his players and coach them up// Parcells was not like that at all- in fact he would often coach people down.. but, he didn't want to be your friend; he instilled a locker room that knew "They'll always be someone behind you ready to step up and take your job."<<< this is the biggest weakness of Rex'... that he's not 'cut throat.'.... but can you really blame him? his style has worked more times than not- it's just a shame our QB couldn't handle it.

So that's it- my two cents.. I strictly believe Rex gives us the best chance to win IN 2014.
    What a great post. You really hit the nail on the head with this.

I'd only add that if Rex Ryan wins a SB, will Woody's move to keep Ryan around still be viewed as the wrong move?

NO F*CKING WAY

I believe Rex Ryan can win the SB and will win the SB if the Jets give him enough of a chance. I'm not sure they will though? And it will suck pretty bad IMO if we have to watch Rex Ryan win a SB with another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    What a great post. You really hit the nail on the head with this.

I'd only add that if Rex Ryan wins a SB, will Woody's move to keep Ryan around still be viewed as the wrong move?

NO F*CKING WAY

I believe Rex Ryan can win the SB and will win the SB if the Jets give him enough of a chance. I'm not sure they will though? And it will suck pretty bad IMO if we have to watch Rex Ryan win a SB with another team.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    instead of trying to be funny- explain what's so funny.

Do u not think Woody wants a NY Superbowl???

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Delusional
    don't just chime in SAY WHAT THE F IS DELUSIONAL ABOUT IT.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm still on board with Rex however I do find him to be very bizarre.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

No, I dont think its even close to his true top priority

Woody WANTS to win a Superbowl, but he doesn't know football so how can he possibly know if Rex is the guy that can do so? Rex has fooled Woody into thinking he's some genius with all his bombastic swagger and smooth talk. Rex promises things to us every damn year and he has FAILED to do so. And now he's getting a pass after failing for 4 years? WHAT!?

> Promise things for 4 years
    > Fail every single year
    > Get vote of confidence from Owner, have him think you're a genius

okay so what is it then.

I also believe in Rex. The best coach in the league probably goes 8-8, 9-7 with this bunch.

Too often these days, the "what have you done for me lately" card gets thrown out, especially in sports. Let's face it, get rich quick schemes hardly ever work in the NFL.

Changing coaches/regimes every 4 years is a recipe for disaster. If you think your coach can get the job done over time, like Woody does with Rex, you stick with him. Screw what everybody else thinks. It's your company, make your decisions and stick with them. The most successful teams in the league (well, besides having a franchise QB) are the ones with stability.

Now does Rex make goofs as a HC? He sure does. But he can coach. He showed that in his first two seasons. Then came the past two seasons where the team didn't do so well. And what happens? Half the fan base turns their backs on him. 2 seasons, 1 year with a losing record. Throw him to the trash heap.

Cap problems killing chances to sign adequate depth, a missed draft pick on a franchise QB, injuries, etc. All of these things happened.

But we'll see. The Jets will have a new GM soon and if Rex goes under .500 again, the anti-Rexers will get their wish. Then in 4 years we'll run the next guy out of town. You know we will, always do. Patience is a trait not known among this fan base.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

After this week? No. I think he wants Rex Ryan to like him. Thats what I think.

Pure and simple.

-

Woody WANTS to win a Superbowl, but he doesn't know football so how can he possibly know if Rex is the guy that can do so? Rex has fooled Woody into thinking he's some genius with all his bombastic swagger and smooth talk. Rex promises things to us every damn year and he has FAILED to do so. And now he's getting a pass after failing for 4 years? WHAT!?

> Promise things for 4 years
    > Fail every single year
    > Get vote of confidence from Owner, have him think you're a genius

Do you know that NO ONE EVER (that's in the history of football) EVER went to the Superbowl as a Rookie HC??? he almost went in his first two years and had a rookie QB with the same personnel as the HC who proceeded him.. You can't say that's not impressive.

that's just dumb. If he didn't want to win. Sanchez gets a 10 year deal. Schottenheimer stays. Cavanaugh stays. tannenbaum stays. Use your head

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    After this week? No. I think he wants Rex Ryan to like him. Thats what I think.

Pure and simple.

-
    That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Congrats.

Do you know that NO ONE EVER (that's in the history of football) EVER went to the Superbowl as a Rookie HC??? he almost went in his first two years and had a rookie QB with the same personnel as the HC who proceeded him.. You can't say that's not impressive.
    Wow, someone go ahead and bring out the "Almost Did Something" award.

This isn't like school where you get an award for participating. Either you do it or you don't. Rex didn't, hasn't, and most likely WON'T.

Wow, someone go ahead and bring out the "Almost Did Something" award.

This isn't like school where you get an award for participating. Either you do it or you don't. Rex didn't, hasn't, and most likely WON'T.
    If you're gonna rip HCs apart for not giving us a Superbowl then you have about 50 years of coaches who have flat out SUCKED for us... none of which went to back to back AFC Championships

don't just chime in SAY WHAT THE F IS DELUSIONAL ABOUT IT.
    Have you observed whats unfolded in the past two seasons?

How players have quit on Rex?

The ridiculous desicions that were made like making Holmes captain?

Tebow and all the negative it brought?

Continuing to start Sanchez after it was so obviously clear that Mark was done mentally?

The loss of confidence in his tone that has trickled down to the QB and team?

The laughing stock we've become from the media and former players including the face of the franchise in Joe Namath?

What is delusional, is anyone that would have confidense that the owner even cares about winning when observing everything over the past 2 seasons.

Dump.

Read the quote below in my sig.

Don't you feel stupid now?