Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "I STILL BELIEVE IN REX" Thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Don McCafferty Super Bowl V...he won it

George Seifert Super Bowl XXIV..he won it

Jim Caldwell Super Bowl XLIV...he lost it

in the history of football, there have been other rookie head coaches to win the NFL title but that's pre -Super Bowl
    I still think Rex is a good coach, but there's too many side effects that come along with him. He seems to be a magnet for unnecessary attention (on and off the field). What's worse is that he enjoys this attention. He needs to become more open-minded as a coach. He's so stubborn in his ways sometimes, it's frustrating to watch. He can't evaluate talent but he's an excellent defensive mind and can coach up guys on defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    We agree on some things, disagree on others, and for the most part when we disagree, I can respect your point of view. But, you always lose me here. I was, up until this season unfolded, hopeful Sanchez would develop into a second tier QB, but to say Mark Sanchez played very well his first two years, is IMO delusional. He played well in the 4th quarter in a stretch of games in his second year where he led a number of comebacks. He did NOT "play very well in his first two years".
    "He played as well as can be expected of a 22 year old college junior thrust into a starting NFL role in the glaring NY spotlight without 5 minutes on the sidelines studying under an experienced mentor with a revolving-door of receiving targets and a head coach hell bent to undermine him."

Good?

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    George Seifert says hi.

No he didn't have the same personal. We added Bart Scott who got 11.5MM along with Shepard and Leaonard. Not only did Rex inherit the best OL in football he had one of the most expensive Defenses in the league.
    So does Bill Callahan. Is it that hard for some people to open up at least a wikipedia tab next to their JI one so they can do some d@mn fact checking prior to posting? Reading inaccurate garbage thrown together just to make an invalid point makes us all a little stupider.

And no, Winny the rant at the end wasn't at you. You're a d@mn good poster.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 01-11-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post
    Hello everyone, I know I don't post as often as I used to (or like for that matter), but I find it important to start this thread considering the amount of changes in line.

In order to appreciate this 'point of view', we all must be on the same level. So here it is: WOODY WANTS THE NEW YORK SUPERBOWL.

That's it. Clean cut. Black and White. Clear as day.

Now. Usually, when an owner fires a GM it means a new GM will comes in and CLEAN HOUSE. I agree with that philosophy, as do most other people because frankly, it's the best way to do things; especially if you're targeting a valued GM- one who would WANT to sign a new coaching staff and call it his.. It works that way with everything, not just professional sports; Anytime someone is asked to be the "boss" they want to surround themselves with people they know and trust- not too many people want to step into a situation where they "have to get along" with everyone.

So based on this decision by Woody- we can honestly say "This is the wrong move."

Woody has fired the GM and OC (and others), but insists he wants Rex as the HC.. this RARELY works.. Most would say you need to either FIRE EVERYONE or KEEP EVERYONE (well, maybe not Sparano).

The reason behind this is because Woody wants a New York Superbowl.

If he were to CLEAN HOUSE- then there would be an even less chance of making the Superbowl in 2014. A rebuilding stage is OBSOLETE for this franchise, especially this year.

Rex is keeping his job because:

1) Say what you will, but he IS one of the best defensive minds in all of football and that's really NEVER going to change. Ever.

2) His first two seasons they were 30mins away from the Superbowl.

3) He didn't clean house when he showed up.

Rex' biggest attribute and ironically, his Achilles heal is his LOYALTY AND TRUST. His style is like no other. He coaches people up- that's who he is.. He CREATED people like Bart Scott because he tells people that he believes in them. He's extremely confident in that approach and it's the reason why he picks people up like AARON MAYBIN & Santonio Holmes & Braylon Edwards- bc when everyone else doesn't believe in you, he has a way of getting the best out of you.

This is the sole reason why he stayed with Sanchez for so long; TRUST... He cannot let Mark know that he doesn't believe in him anymore.. Now, there could be a lot more to it than just that (concerning Mark) because he is the franchise QB drafted #5 overall who is making 8M per year. That has a lot to do with it also- if you were to bench him, his trade value will drop; that's a bad combination when your QB is the highest paid player on the team. Sanchez is forced to be QB so that he can audition for other teams.

When Rex was hired 4 years ago He did NOT clean house... which is what most HC's would have done... He kept Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Westoff and pretty much instilled a perennial, aggressive LOUD MOUTH Defense-- We had a nice offense at the time- the line had probowlers, our fullback was incredible, LT was out to prove something-- Our lights out defense combined with our marginal offense and good STs is why we ever stood a chance... last year the defense was stellar- but the offense and ST sucked... not to mention losing our best player on defense and our best player on offense didn't help.

I know a lot of you will say: "Mangini left Rex all that nice talent." Well, maybe that's true- however the defense was not nearly as good until Rex kicked the door in... & btw, most would've assumed Rex would draft a defensive player as his first duty, but they didn't.. they took a QB. That's how confident they were in Rex's defensive coaching.

Not to mention, the people Rex has drafted are turning out pretty damn good... A lot of us liked John Connor a lot, it's too bad he's gone he couldn't stay healthy... Shonn Greene is still our #1- a lot of you don't like him, but he led the nation in rushing yards in Iowa and he flat out runs people over- he is a ground and pound back.. Quinton Coples is the real deal and so is Mo Wilkerson- that's all Rex... So is Kyle Wilson- I know a lot of you hate him, but hey the Jets didn't allow ONE 100-yard receiver all year- it's taking Wilson some time, but I think he's a solid as could be for a nickle-back... Also, bringing in our two Safeties was huge- we now have two of the hardest hitting DBs in football.

Rex reminds me of Parcells- A ground and pound, with great defense-- where these two men separate is "cut throat." Rex' style is to believe in his players and coach them up// Parcells was not like that at all- in fact he would often coach people down.. but, he didn't want to be your friend; he instilled a locker room that knew "They'll always be someone behind you ready to step up and take your job."<<< this is the biggest weakness of Rex'... that he's not 'cut throat.'.... but can you really blame him? his style has worked more times than not- it's just a shame our QB couldn't handle it.

So that's it- my two cents.. I strictly believe Rex gives us the best chance to win IN 2014.
    I love Rex I think hes a great coach we did did great our first two years with him we just need to get Enough for the to get back to that mixture....i always have faith...enough for everyone on this board...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    "He played as well as can be expected of a 22 year old college junior thrust into a starting NFL role in the glaring NY spotlight without 5 minutes on the sidelines studying under an experienced mentor with a revolving-door of receiving targets and a head coach hell bent to undermine him."

Good?

SAR I
    I'll agree with you on somethings, but Mark really wasn't all that. Which, at the time, was ok, but he really hasn't improved since then. Whether that's on coaching or him, your guess is as good as mine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody Johnson wants to win a Super Bowl, just like Rich Kotite and Ray Handley. Wanting to do something is not enough. You have to have an understanding as to how to actually do it. Woody has no football management acumen. The trouble is he wants to win.....his way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Good?

SAR I
    For Mark Sanchez first year he threw 12td 20int 54% with a 63 rating. If he was on a normal team they would have finished 2-14 and it would have been considered a poor start to his career. He happened to luck out on a team with the #1 defense and #1 running game. They snuck into the playoffs and made a small run limiting Sanchez as much as possible.

For his second year he had a very modest 17td 13int (with a record number of dropped interceptions according to pro football focus) 55% 6.5avg 75 rating. If not for 4 miracle unsustainable endings to poor football teams they wouldn't have even been able to make it into the playoffs.

This is the "great" start that everyone wishes Mark Sanchez can get back to!?!?!? WTF!?!?!?!? IF he was in a normal situation his 3rd and 4th year would have been the barometer to determine if he can improve enough to be a viable starter. Of course he crashed and burned with 52 turnovers in those years.

Mark Sanchez has always been an atrocious piece of **** QB. He has scammed the Jets and their fans for millions of dollars while banging any chick he can use his fame to get. I will have a party when this "QB" is off my team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    For Mark Sanchez first year he threw 12td 20int 54% with a 63 rating. If he was on a normal team they would have finished 2-14 and it would have been considered a poor start to his career. He happened to luck out on a team with the #1 defense and #1 running game. They snuck into the playoffs and made a small run limiting Sanchez as much as possible.

For his second year he had a very modest 17td 13int (with a record number of dropped interceptions according to pro football focus) 55% 6.5avg 75 rating. If not for 4 miracle unsustainable endings to poor football teams they wouldn't have even been able to make it into the playoffs.

This is the "great" start that everyone wishes Mark Sanchez can get back to!?!?!? WTF!?!?!?!? IF he was in a normal situation his 3rd and 4th year would have been the barometer to determine if he can improve enough to be a viable starter. Of course he crashed and burned with 52 turnovers in those years.

Mark Sanchez has always been an atrocious piece of **** QB. He has scammed the Jets and their fans for millions of dollars while banging any chick he can use his fame to get. I will have a party when this "QB" is off my team.
    While I don't have a venomous appetite to destroy any breathing human being ... I do wish more than anything in the existence of mankind, that the FO actually reads your post and has a revelation as to the farce that is Mark Sanchez.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 01-11-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

BOY, MAN!!!! Can someone say SAR SHOW?!

What a jackass

sent from my f888ing computer

HH

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! This thread is growing faster than I can read the posts.

I wonder what the results would be if there was a poll on each of the other AFCE team boards that asks what the Jets should do with Rex Ryan. I think most of those fans would vote to have him stay with the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Wow! This thread is growing faster than I can read the posts.

I wonder what the results would be if there was a poll on each of the other AFCE team boards that asks what the Jets should do with Rex Ryan. I think most of those fans would vote to have him stay with the Jets.
    thanks for the input.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Its the turnovers Sar

Good?

SAR I
    He doesn't protect the football.He never did. I thought he would improve that in time, but he hasn't.You can't blame anybody but Mark for that. Thats something thats been pounded into him since High School.Don't give the other team a freebie.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    He doesn't protect the football.He never did. I thought he would improve that in time, but he hasn't.You can't blame anybody but Mark for that. Thats something thats been pounded into him since High School.Don't give the other team a freebie.
    There he is!

You had homework last night; here's another copy, when can I expect it?

----------------------------------------------

You've got it backwards, bro.

It's no longer about us telling you why Rex Ryan sucks. That ship has sailed. That's now a given.

It's now your job to tell us why Rex Ryan is good. Go for it. Give us 10 reasons why Rex Ryan is a great coach. Here, here's a blank page, fill it in:

The onus is on you to convince us now, not the other way around.

Savvy?

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There he is!

It's no longer about us telling you why Rex Ryan sucks. That ship has sailed. That's now a given.

It's now your job to tell us why Rex Ryan is good. Go for it. Give us 10 reasons why Rex Ryan is a great coach. Here, here's a blank page, fill it in:

Savvy?

SAR I
    I thought you liked Rex? What gives?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Woody Johnson wants to win a Super Bowl, just like Rich Kotite and Ray Handley. Wanting to do something is not enough. You have to have an understanding as to how to actually do it. Woody has no football management acumen. The trouble is he wants to win.....his way.
    And again how much football management acumen does an owner need. He has to hire a GM (in process), open up his checkbook(done) and stay the hell out of the way. Be careful what you wish for -do you want a Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder etc type of owner - don't think so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cmon

There he is!

1.An innovative Defensive coach,who can change schemes,on a dime,to stop an opponents offense

3.Has shown with the right personal to have an offense that can score and burn time off the clock

4.Players who have played for him,on both sides of the ball,praise him as being a great guy,and a good coach,even the ones who have voiced some criticism.LT,Damien Woody,Jason Taylor.

5.Learns from his mistakes,i.e,locker room discord.that ended the 2011 season.Despite all the turmoil surrounding Tebow,and the QB,situation,the locker room for the most part was united behind who was behind center

6.Please,don't deduct points for incomplete homework.I think you get the jist of it.

Savvy?

SAR I
    Im not a blind defender of Rex Sar. He needs a strong GM, and experienced OC.That why im exited, i think were going to get a big upgrade at GM,and OC

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    And again how much football management acumen does an owner need. He has to hire a GM (in process), open up his checkbook(done) and stay the hell out of the way. Be careful what you wish for -do you want a Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder etc type of owner - don't think so.
    enough acumen to know that if you are going to fire the GM, and lose most of your coaching staff, then you also need to fire the person who was equally responsible for the mess the franchise is now in.

enough acumen to understand that no candidate worth their salt is going to accept the job knowing that they a. must keep the coach and (more importantly) b. knows that the owner wants the coach to be in charge of you. A coach who has proven that he can coach players far better then he can pick them and the only thing he knows about offense is how to stop it (and that includes his own).

enough acumen to know that the offense was a major issue and needs a good offensive coordinator. Yet no coordinator worth their salt will come here knowing that there is a very real possibility that he will be unemployed and uprooted in 12 months.

Yes, the owner should hire the right people, open the check books and then get out of the way. And, of course, we do not wan't a moron like Jerry Jones in power (Daniel Synder has finally gotten it right; he hired a two-time super bowl winning coach, opened his check book and got the hell out of the way). Our moron owner hired a clown as a head coach, left him in control and defends him blindly. Ryan, along with tannenbaum, chose the players to draft and sign, picked the coaching staff (including an offensive coordinator that has been fired) and acted like a clown. It does not have to be an either or choice; Woody or Jerry Jones. There are owners like Rooney and Kraft that get it. Hell, the new jaguars owner even looks like he has a better clue then Woody. He let his GM run the show, and what a concept that is....

Here is a prediction predicated on the tone-deaf management of woody johnson;

GM: Scott Cohen
    OC: Cam Cameron

And we will be stuck with them (a fired OC who was run off a playoff team and a newbie GM who was part of the problem around here) all to make the head coach happy. The same coach who helped put us in the position we are now in.

The spin will be that Cohen is the best candidate because he works well with the coach. The reality is that no GM candidate worth their salt will take this job with the cartoon preconditions set forth by a clueless owner. Cameron will be hailed as the next great offensive mind (like sparano was less then 12 months ago), despite being fired before the season has even ended. Of course, the reality will be that he had no other offensive coordinator opportunites.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Im not a blind defender of Rex Sar. He needs a strong GM, and experienced OC.That why im exited, i think were going to get a big upgrade at GM,and OC

Please,don't deduct points for incomplete homework.I think you get the jist of it.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR, do you realize the irony in you being the prime (if not sole) Sanchez defender on JI, while you trash the only HC on the planet that believes Sanchez gives the Jets the best chance to win?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Why do you think we are looking for a weak GM? You don't think Woody got a draft pick just like Rex? Maybe Tebow was woody, maybe Sanchez was Woody, maybe Bart Scott was Woody?