Thread: What IF...

What IF...

Rex convinced Favre to play in '09. In hindsight, do you think we would have won at least 1 SB? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    Rex convinced Favre to play in '09. In hindsight, do you think we would have won at least 1 SB? Just curious.
    Not in '09 because the defense still would have been ripped by Peyton, but if he matched him with the 2010 team. I think we beat the Steelers and get to the Super Bowl.

No.

Brett Favre was never that good.

Mike Holmgren deserves all the respect he gets:

He forced an absolute moron who happened to have a cannon to play football correctly.

Rex Ryan would not have been able to handle Favre at all.

Last edited by dustykeller; 01-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

They would have had a much better chance. Favre was tremendous in 2009. He was very good for the Jets before he got hurt and Mangini lost his nerve on defense.

Yes. a little more offense and the superbowl was ours.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    No.

He forced an absolute moron who happened to have a cannon to play football correctly.

This is a bunch of crap. The next season after Favre left us, he had one of his best seasons of his career with Minny. He was a play away from the SB.

Yes, +Millions

The 2009 Jets with an NFL caliber QB would have won 3 more regular season games, won the division with a clear path to the Superbowl

The team started 3-0 before Sanchez showed himself on bourbon street; threw a 99 yard pick 6 and fumbled for another NO TD (almost erie looking back on his legacy)

The Rex D held Brees to 0 TD's - a record that just ended this year

That team was swept by Miami with losses to Jacksonville and the 10-7 loss to the Falcons had Rex crying the blues - easy 3-4 more wins with Favre at the helm

Jets finished 9-7 and the Pats won the division that year at 10-6 (easy division title without Sanchez)

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_New_York_Jets_season

Mangini set us up with that to-good-to be true trade (and I hope someone asks him that question one day)

Fun to speculate, but Farve was always high risk/high reward kinda guy. Don't forget, it was his int. in overtime in 2009 that led to Saints winning FG.

Cool

No.

You fail at knowing football. Please go watch some other sport. Your departure would automatically increase the overall IQ of Jets fans everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    This is a bunch of crap. The next season after Favre left us, he had one of his best seasons of his career with Minny. He was a play away from the SB.
    He had a great regular season.

Then threw a stupid pick in the playoffs.

And there went the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    You fail at knowing football. Please go watch some other sport. Your departure would automatically increase the overall IQ of Jets fans everywhere.
    Why don't we hug it out pal?

That way you can educate me on how Brett Favre wasn't overrated and didn't make stupid throws.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    What if the Queen had a set of balls.
    would she then be King ?

He did well with the Vikings but he could have ruined our season with that 40 Year old plus body by getting injured. Imagine 2 years in a row injured with our fan base. It wouldn't be worth the risk.

Cool

That way you can educate me on how Brett Favre wasn't overrated and didn't make stupid throws.
    Sorry, you're not my type. I only hug attractive females between the ages of 18-45. And if you can't see for yourself that a three time MVP is not overrated, then I can't help you.

He was somewhat overrated and tended to make stupid throws. However he was still very talented. Anyone with about 60% of his talent and ability to execute would have led us to a Championship just by virtue of that D. If we could make the playoffs with Sanchez's mistakes we could have easily survived Favre's mistakes with his propensity to find the endzone. 6 touchdown game, remember? I don't think this current team has experienced 6 touchdown months.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Yes, +Millions

Jets finished 9-7 and the Pats won the division that year at 10-6 (easy division title without Sanchez)
    Didn't the Chad Pennington Dolphins beat the Jets last game of the season to win the Division??

Never mind, wrong year.... I'll go back to bed
    Last edited by GreenLantern; 01-11-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    Didn't the Chad Pennington Dolphins beat the Jets last game of the season to win the Division??

Never mind, wrong year.... I'll go back to bed
    there is not if... in the real life

All League
    Not only would've Favre lead them to a Lombardi he would've been the SB MVP.

Indeed this would have happened if a gumdrop unicorn sprinkled magical fairy dust and cured Favre of being an interception machine who was too lazy/stubborn to learn/stick with the playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Not only would've Favre lead them to a Lombardi he would've been the SB MVP.

Indeed this would have happened if a gumdrop unicorn sprinkled magical fairy dust and cured Favre of being an interception machine who was too lazy/stubborn to learn/stick with the playbook.

This is my point.

Without Holmgren Favre didn't win anything. Holmgren was the only guy to garner enough respect from Favre to play within a system and not try to be "THE MAN."

Now how about this one:

Instead of Trading up for Sanchez, the Jets trade their 1st rounder to Washington (who wanted Sanchez badly) for Jason Campbell.

Campbell would've been exactly the type of complementary QB that this team needed.

Things would've been very different with a QB who didn't require constant bail-out by the defense and running game, both of which weren't in optimal shape.