Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 95 of 95

Thread: Simple Truth

  1. #81
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Who was convicted? IRS challenged a Tax shelter and they agreed to pay the taxes. Blamed his Lawyers? FYI - Lawyers give counsel and advice, and smart clients follow it. I really have no idea WTF your point is on the tax thing.
    You are correct, he settled. If you are going to own an investment company you would assume that you would know the tax laws on the gains involved with said company. Or at least would follow your accountant's advice rather than getting cornholed by the IRS.

    2) I agree it is stupid that Unions have that much sway.... Not sure about what your car/truck opinion has to do with the comparative costs of building a stadium in NY and Texas.
    Ultimately, that it's un-American to buy American cars at this point due to the UAW essentially owning manufacturers thanks to the amazing bail out by our wonderful government of non-financially solvent industry due to labor costs and overproduction dictated by minimum hour contracts in UAW CBA's.

    3) I guess the Giants and Jets should have put you in charge of building the new stadium. With you in charge, I'm sure the price of the steel and union labor would have been cut in half.
    LOL. I use to be good with legos!

    4) Not pandering, just trying to add a little truth to your misinformation campaign, which I see has been extended to Joey Clinksales, who left to work with his former college teammate and friend Oakland GM Reggie McKenzie. He did not resign because Woody blindly listens to Rex...

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-for-raiders/

    I have no problem if you want to opine that Woody is a terrible owner, but c'mon man at least back it up with something substantive.
    I cannot find the article, but I did indeed have something from an off-handed Clinkscales interview where he said that Rex had the ability overrule he, Bradway, and Tannenbaum in personnel decisions since he owned Woody's ear.

    But if that's not enough then how about this:

    GM's pick coaches. Coaches don't pick GM's.

    If, as an owner, you can't understand why, then that is, in and of itself, indication that he's terrible.

  2. #82
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The point is certain posters point to 'The Johnson Company' his personal eponymous investment company (tax shelter coff coff) as evidence of 'owning and successfully running a business'.

    He has literally accomplished nothing in his life except inheriting money, giving away some of it, spending it, and getting in trouble with the law by trying to shield it from the IRS.

    For a billionaire, his Wiki page is bare bones. He has accomplished very little.
    If I was a billionaire, I'd consider it quite a success to have little or nothing about me on a "wiki" page.

    Your assertion that he has accomplished nothing is ridiculous. Aside from the philanthropy, ya know giving away millions of dollars and creating foundations to help people, he was a success. Do the research. His Dad had a falling out with grandpa and was kicked out of Johnson & Johnson. His Dad and Grandpa both died when Woody was in his early 20s. In the early 70s, Woody bought American Video Corporation, a pioneer cable-television company, and built it into one of the largest privately held cable-TV systems in the country. It was later sold for a hefty profit and Woody then formed The Johnson Company.

    Read up. Maybe you'll at least have some real facts to base your (pro or con) opinion upon.

    http://nymag.com/news/sports/68084/index2.html

    http://www.911memorial.org/robert-wood-johnson-iv

    http://investing.businessweek.com/re...national%20Inc.

    http://www.lupusresearch.org/about-u...l#.UO8wauQ8CSo

  3. #83
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Simple ton is more like it

    Where is Kraft's retractable roof? he gets more snow

    Woody doesnt need to spend 3/4 B on a retractable roof so the Final 4 can be played there viewed from the UD and you can tag your seat

    ---------------------

    SOJFS please go home and get your shineboxes-a billion shines later why not pool your earnings and buy teh Jets
    Gillette cost $325 million in 1999/2000 and received no taxpayer money.

    Considering it's what, 12-13 years older than MetLife let's get real here.

  4. #84
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    DOUBLE POST, PLX GO TO 81.
    His most cogent and well thought out post of the thread.

  5. #85
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If I was a billionaire, I'd consider it quite a success to have little or nothing about me on a "wiki" page.

    Your assertion that he has accomplished nothing is ridiculous. Aside from the philanthropy, ya know giving away millions of dollars and creating foundations to help people, he was a success. Do the research. His Dad had a falling out with grandpa and was kicked out of Johnson & Johnson. His Dad and Grandpa both died when Woody was in his early 20s. In the early 70s, Woody bought American Video Corporation, a pioneer cable-television company, and built it into one of the largest privately held cable-TV systems in the country. It was later sold for a hefty profit and Woody then formed The Johnson Company.

    Read up. Maybe you'll at least have some real facts to base your (pro or con) opinion upon.

    http://nymag.com/news/sports/68084/index2.html

    http://www.911memorial.org/robert-wood-johnson-iv

    http://investing.businessweek.com/re...national%20Inc.

    http://www.lupusresearch.org/about-u...l#.UO8wauQ8CSo
    Again, charities and "giving away money," when you are talking about the numbers involved here, where you are making 20,000,000 million a year per billion via interest alone you are essentially just taking money you'd be giving to the IRS and donating it to charities. It's essentially necessary and thereby shouldn't even be looked at as a good thing.

    I did not know about the cable company but again, how much did he buy them for? I'm sure it was still facilitated by old family money.

    Bottom line:

    He's an unimpressive person and a bad guy to have owning your favorite NFL team.

  6. #86
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truth, dome football is for fags.

  7. #87
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    And what the hell do you know marisco about doing anything in life at your young age?
    I appreciate the complement. I wouldn't consider 46 that young.

    Unless you are another one of these amazing facebook detectives mixing me up with my cousin in his 30's.........

  8. #88
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    6,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I appreciate the complement. I wouldn't consider 46 that young.

    Unless you are another one of these amazing facebook detectives mixing me up with my cousin in his 30's.........
    Wow!

    You live in Rockland?

  9. #89
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Again, charities and "giving away money," when you are talking about the numbers involved here, where you are making 20,000,000 million a year per billion via interest alone you are essentially just taking money you'd be giving to the IRS and donating it to charities. It's essentially necessary and thereby shouldn't even be looked at as a good thing.

    I did not know about the cable company but again, how much did he buy them for? I'm sure it was still facilitated by old family money.

    Bottom line:

    He's an unimpressive person and a bad guy to have owning your favorite NFL team.
    LMFAO!!! You are too funny. Eat the rich!! Damn those people who did not save enough dough from their job at the local mini-mart to buy an NFL team.

  10. #90
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    LMFAO!!! You are too funny. Eat the rich!! Damn those people who did not save enough dough from their job at the local mini-mart to buy an NFL team.
    You know me so well, Sonny. I'm going to have log out for a bit, empty my poop bucket in the sewer and clean off the dirt on my teepee here on Wall St. with the rest of my hippie constituency.

    Let me make it easy for you:

    Woody Johnson was born into big money and has essentially done nothing outside of buy a football team, be too dumb to have a decent CPA working for him at his equity firm and the pinnacle of his business legacy was buying a cable company that he couldn't have afforded without his inheritance right before cable went crazy in the '80's and then sold it, most likely too early.

    Woody Johnson is not some impressive person because of who he was born to. In fact, when everything is said and done, you will be as pissed as I am because he killed your football team.

    None of this has anything to do with the rubbish you are insinuating. All I'm trying to highlight is that Woody is not only doing a bad job, he was never really qualified for it.

  11. #91
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    You know me so well, Sonny. I'm going to have log out for a bit, empty my poop bucket in the sewer and clean off the dirt on my teepee here on Wall St. with the rest of my hippie constituency.

    Let me make it easy for you:

    Woody Johnson was born into big money and has essentially done nothing outside of buy a football team, be too dumb to have a decent CPA working for him at his equity firm and the pinnacle of his business legacy was buying a cable company that he couldn't have afforded without his inheritance right before cable went crazy in the '80's and then sold it, most likely too early.

    Woody Johnson is not some impressive person because of who he was born to. In fact, when everything is said and done, you will be as pissed as I am because he killed your football team.

    None of this has anything to do with the rubbish you are insinuating. All I'm trying to highlight is that Woody is not only doing a bad job, he was never really qualified for it.
    I get it .... Bad at business (which honestly you've never really established as to Woody, but heck let's just go with the flow) = Bad at being an NFL Owner. So if you are good at business then you would be a good NFL Owner, right?

    If this is the case, how do you explain the fact that Leon Hess was a self-made billionaire and likely the worst owner in the history of the NFL.

  12. #92
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I appreciate the complement. I wouldn't consider 46 that young.

    Unless you are another one of these amazing facebook detectives mixing me up with my cousin in his 30's.........
    Now you're 46. Last year it was 23, weird.

  13. #93
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    You know me so well, Sonny. I'm going to have log out for a bit, empty my poop bucket in the sewer and clean off the dirt on my teepee here on Wall St. with the rest of my hippie constituency.

    Let me make it easy for you:

    Woody Johnson was born into big money and has essentially done nothing outside of buy a football team, be too dumb to have a decent CPA working for him at his equity firm and the pinnacle of his business legacy was buying a cable company that he couldn't have afforded without his inheritance right before cable went crazy in the '80's and then sold it, most likely too early.

    Woody Johnson is not some impressive person because of who he was born to. In fact, when everything is said and done, you will be as pissed as I am because he killed your football team.

    None of this has anything to do with the rubbish you are insinuating. All I'm trying to highlight is that Woody is not only doing a bad job, he was never really qualified for it.
    Dude, do you know anything about anything? You've already proven in another thread that you're clueless about football, now you're claiming Woody is a bad owner because he inherited his money? Because only by dragging yourself up by your bootstraps can you possibly understand how to be a successful NFL owner! *sarcasm*

    You've become my favorite poster, a living, breathing faux pas. Please continue, I'm enjoying the show.

  14. #94
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Woody Johnson is a bad owner. This team will not win a Super Bowl until he sells it or is too senile to run it and the inmates start running the asylum.

    That's all there is to it.

    Proof?

    Well how about this:

    He spent 1.8 Billion dollars on a stadium that doesn't have a retractable roof and essentially no features of note.

    I could say more but I won't.

    Woody Johnson will never lead this franchise beyond what we have seen unless he completely removes himself from the equation.
    You are correct. That is the simple truth and the same one that's plagued this and most of the other historically poor NFL franchises.

  15. #95
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Met Life cost 1.6 Billion but it has all kinds of public transportation. Look at Dallas

    Because Cowboys Stadium is located in Arlington, Texas, the Cowboys Stadium is the only NFL stadium in the United States without any form of public transportation, including bus, light rail, or people mover systems.[25] The only way to get to the stadium is via car or private shuttle. The stadium is situated in an area of Arlington, Texas that is predominantly residential. Thus, traffic congestion and infrastructure are not adequate to handle the crowds, leading to major delays during events. Many of the neighborhoods in the surrounding areas do not have sidewalks, leading to dangerous situations for pedestrians. The stadium is not near the major urban cores of Fort Worth or Dallas, leading to a diminished fan experience outside the stadium's walls. On September 1, 2012, thousands of fans were forced to wait hours after the Alabama vs Michigan football game for cab rides, due to lack of transportation infrastructure. This led to multiple hour long waits for thousands of event goers.

    No one has a perfect solution. And Dallas stadium cost 1.2 Billion in the middle of no where. Where they could get non union labor.
    Have you ever been to Cowboy's stadium?

    it is not in the middle of no where. It is about 3/4 of a mile from the Ranger's Ballpark, and about 1.5 miles from 6 Flags. I have gone to games, and been home in under an hour and a half. The dome is great for having huge events year round. There are plenty of restaurants and bars near by. It is not in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

    It is cheaper for the same reason everything is cheaper here. Cheap land. Non-union labor. It's the same reason I can buy a brand new 4000 sq foot house in a beautiful neighborhood for 350-450 k. Or a 2000 sq foot house in a nice town with a good public school for 140 K.

    Everything costs more in NY/NJ. The dome is nice for keeping the crowd comfortable, and for non foot-ball events. It also gives away the home field advantage of playing in a cold weather site.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us