Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 113

Thread: Bob Sutton To Interview With Kansas City

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Because our former GM was a moron.
    Why do you think he was demoted?
    Did you even KNOW this, or are you just a tool?
    Your going to blame the GM for a guy on Rex's staff on the def side of the ball?
    I understand When Rex came aboard they asked him to keep the OC, and Rex was OK with that, But Rex made him the asst head coach and kept him in that position for 4 years. Why wasn't he just fired if he was no good? Keeping a non performer on your staff is not the halmark of a good HC.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes!! it's about time the Jets made this move, same as with Cavanaugh, it made no sense to keep Sutton since his unit was one of the weakest links on the team.

    I hope Guge is next on the chopping block

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Communication, and discipline just what Andy is looking for, good luck Bob.

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    You'd be a lot more fun to debate with if you didn't always speak in "what ifs." You need to bring more facts.
    You're hear to entertain me, not the other way around chief.

    SAR I

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Your going to blame the GM for a guy on Rex's staff on the def side of the ball?
    I understand When Rex came aboard they asked him to keep the OC, and Rex was OK with that, But Rex made him the asst head coach and kept him in that position for 4 years. Why wasn't he just fired if he was no good? Keeping a non performer on your staff is not the halmark of a good HC.
    Once again what difference does it make what OC was there, Rex mandated ground & pound. The OC's hands were tied. Perhaps with an ultimatum that unless he opens up the O he has no job , Rex will finally let a progressive minded OC run a modern day offense.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    yes!! it's about time the Jets made this move, same as with Cavanaugh, it made no sense to keep Sutton since his unit was one of the weakest links on the team.

    I hope Guge is next on the chopping block
    His unit was one of the weakest because Tanny let that position get old and Rex stayed too loyal to long to his aging vets.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Yea Bob Sutton is a huge loss

    How will we ever survive, I cant believe his disloyalty????
    Its not that he is a huge loss.
    But its a bad sign when the DC and a veteran coach who has been here for 12 years suddenly decide to pick up and leave in the midst of this turmoil. I suspect they know our beloved Jets are a sinking ship with two buffoons at the helm

  8. #28
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    Contrarily, is it possible that our defensive coaching staff is being gutted because of how good of a job they did? I mean, to have a top 10 defense with linebackers older and slower than stonehenge is kind of impressive...
    You guys confuse me, you really do.

    You: "We have to keep Rex! Our defense is awesome!"

    Me: "But we can't beat winning teams, 1-11 against them since 2010. And we only beat scrubs, pad our stats that way."

    You: "We had the #1 defense in the league, then #3, now #8. We rock!"

    Me: "But the coaching staff is being gutted. Looks like half of them are leaving. They were a major contributor to the defensive success, right?"

    You: "No! Every coach who is leaving sucks!"

    Me: "Sort of surprised that only 5 of our defensive starters are under contract and Revis looks like trade bait and Harris sucks. That's a decent likelihood that only 3 of 11 defensive players might return."

    You: "Don't worry about that!"

    SAR I

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat me

    lookatme

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    yes!! it's about time the Jets made this move, same as with Cavanaugh, it made no sense to keep Sutton since his unit was one of the weakest links on the team.

    I hope Guge is next on the chopping block
    His unit was one of the weakest because his starters were old, slow, and unathletic. You can coach sh !t all you want its still sh!t. Bob Sutton was not the problem with the LBs. The LBs on the team were the problem.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Your going to blame the GM for a guy on Rex's staff on the def side of the ball?
    I understand When Rex came aboard they asked him to keep the OC, and Rex was OK with that, But Rex made him the asst head coach and kept him in that position for 4 years. Why wasn't he just fired if he was no good? Keeping a non performer on your staff is not the halmark of a good HC.
    over the past decade, the Jets have been notorious for their reshuffling an reassigning of personnel instead of just cutting ties with those who don't perform.

    Bradway and Sutton are prime examples, and it's also what fueled speculation that Tannenbaum would be reassigned and that Cohen would be the new GM.

    the problem is systemic and goes beyond Rex, although this offseason is giving me a glimmer of hope that this could finally be changing.

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Meanwhile teams like the Giants, Patriots, Steelers who are lauded here as model franchises do the same thing routinely - jettisoning aging vets for rookies and FA's but when the Jets do it, its a bad thing. Its life with salary cap football. I agree though its poor management that MikeyT and Rex's aversion to vets let the Jets get old in one position like LB. But I'll argue they'll be better w/o Pace, Scott & BT running the 37.6 forty. And you say Harris stinks , well he does when he's the only LB who could pursue a granny, plus the other LB's created so much traffic at times it looked the the BQE at rushhour. Harris had to fight off opposing blockers and his own LBers to even make tackles.
    As it stands today, January 11, the only returning defensive starters are projected to be NT Sione Po’uha, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, and CB Antonio Cromartie. Harris blows. The safeties want big bucks. Revis serious trade bait.

    That doesn't worry you? That's something "routine" that other teams would do? The defending Super Bowl champion Giants only brought back 3-5 starters from the year before?

    SAR I

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always love when posts crop up about turnover / lack of continuity, from the same people who were posting about how crap last year's team was and demanding change!

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    His unit was one of the weakest because his starters were old, slow, and unathletic. You can coach sh !t all you want its still sh!t. Bob Sutton was not the problem with the LBs. The LBs on the team was the problem.
    And what of his failure to develop young talent?

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Once again what difference does it make what OC was there, Rex mandated ground & pound. The OC's hands were tied. Perhaps with an ultimatum that unless he opens up the O he has no job , Rex will finally let a progressive minded OC run a modern day offense.


    I have no idea of how good a Coach Sutton was and how effective he was/is. The guy was kept on by 5 different 4 HC over 12 years. They know more about his effectiveness than I. When they fired Sparono, why didn't they let him go also.

    But to say a group of 4 LB who average almost 32 YO are not successful when asked to play an attacking defense is the position coaches fault smacks of scapegoating.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Yea Bob Sutton is a huge loss

    How will we ever survive, I cant believe his disloyalty????
    Sometimes even if a position coach is good at his job, it's best for everyone that he moves on because everything becomes too routine and the players stop listening. In Sutton's case, I thought he would probably be let go this off season simply because Jet LB play has regressed. While you can blame 3/4 of the regression on age, there is simply no excuse for the decline of David Harris and the absolute failure to develop any young LB to challenge the veterans for playing time. It is by far the weakest link on the D.

  17. #37
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    SAR, I think this franchise is going down the toilet as we speak. It has been a decent ride since Parcells but I think that is all over. I blame Woody. Rex is a buffoon but he is only getting away with what Woody is letting him get away with. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of the early '90s. I have little in Rex as a HC, and even less in him as a talent evaluator and/or developer and absolutely ZERO faith in him being able to build an offense.
    Depressing, but true. The tentacles of keeping Rex Ryan is the gift that keeps on giving:

    1. Numerous GM's turning us down or not even wanting to interview because of being stuck with Rex Ryan as a prerequisite.

    2. Salary cap hell, to fix guts the team to only 10 of 22 starters returning.

    3. Hiring the 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years, really going to help the QB.

    4. Half the defensive coaches cut or leaving because they value their reputations which are being destroyed.

    5. No free agents will want to come here.

    6. No decent coaches will want to come here.

    7. Scrub GM will be a compromise decision.

    Rex Ryan will be fired next year, but the damage that is being done right now, this month, will haunt us for a decade.

    SAR I

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    And what of his failure to develop young talent?
    What young talent?

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    As it stands today, January 11, the only returning defensive starters are projected to be NT Sione Poíuha, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, and CB Antonio Cromartie. Harris blows. The safeties want big bucks. Revis serious trade bait.

    That doesn't worry you? That's something "routine" that other teams would do? The defending Super Bowl champion Giants only brought back 3-5 starters from the year before?

    SAR I
    Your continued distortion of the truth is so damn annoying.

    Harris is returning as a starter, your opinion of him doesnt matter.

    Revis is under contract, and will return. If for some reason he or cro is traded, then the CB who started the last 13 games for us in 2012 will.

    Pace and Devito could also likely return.

    Yermiah Bell doesnt command "big bucks".

    For someone with such a time and money investment in the Jets you probably should start to learn a little more.

  20. #40
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I always love when posts crop up about turnover / lack of continuity, from the same people who were posting about how crap last year's team was and demanding change!
    Close, but forgot the most important thing:

    We wanted change including the head coach. The owner kept the head coach because of "continuity on the defensive side of the ball". Now half the defensive coaches are jumping ship faster than rats, and the cap issues point to only 3-5 defensive starters returning next season.

    So we're keeping Rex Ryan and we're losing the decent defense, his only contribution for the last 4 years. We're not just rebuilding the offense; we're rebuilding everything under a coach that is crippling our GM search.

    What a plan.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us