Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bob Sutton To Interview With Kansas City

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Daily News has learned that the Chiefs requested permission to interview assistant head coach/linebackers Bob Sutton for a position on Andy Reidís staff. Itís unclear whether Ryan granted permission or whether Sutton has gone on his interview. If Sutton leaves, the next step could be a Ryan brothersí reunion.

(The mass defections continue.)

SAR I
    Sar1, in no way does this surprise me. Anyone with a minimum level of competence would not work for Rex Ryan. By the way, did you hear Westoffs' comments on the Jets defense---fascinating stuff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Sar1, in no way does this surprise me. Anyone with a minimum level of competence would not work for Rex Ryan. By the way, did you hear Westoffs' comments on the Jets defense---fascinating stuff.
    I know, it's so obvious what's wrong with this team. So surprising that a few JI members just don't get it.

I heard Westhoff on WFAN, are you talking about the ESPN interview? I didn't hear that....what did he say?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He essentially said that the Jets defense had major problems---Rex's magic confused so many of my fellow fans.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    are you suggesting that you know more about football then Andy Reid? I know he only has been a HC for 14 years and that pales in comparison to your vast experience in these matters!
    Not for anything, but Reid's last D-coordinator was previously an offensive line coach whose only experience coaching defense in any way was in high school. Reid is the offensive version of Rex in that regard.

In '08 Sutton's defense was mid-ranked in the league. The next season with the exact same personnel, Rex had them ranked number one. Sutton may be a good position coach for all I know, but he sucked as a DC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now you douches know what to think... PLEASE run the Jets, with your beige, leased, beemers, so we can getz to the Super Mitzvah!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sutton is leaving for KC because he got a defensive coordinator position. He was an LB coach with the Jets, was not going to be promoted, so he interviewed with a different team to get a coordinator job. You understand this is totally normal for any job -- not just football or sports -- and happens countless times every season? This is not an exodus, it is how coaching jobs work. talk about a "minimum level of competence" if you can't figure that out.
    Last edited by BamaJets; 01-12-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Not for anything, but Reid's last D-coordinator was previously an offensive line coach whose only experience coaching defense in any way was in high school. Reid is the offensive version of Rex in that regard.

In '08 Sutton's defense was mid-ranked in the league. The next season with the exact same personnel, Rex had them ranked number one. Sutton may be a good position coach for all I know, but he sucked as a DC.
    and what style of defense did the HC want to see played in 08? Did that team have a QB that could keep our defense fresh? It takes many parts to make a team and statistics are for losers! To blame it all on one guy is wrong. Sutton was also HC at ARMY plus the guy has been here for many regime changes. Ya think he might know something about football? If I had to pick a person to make a statment about Sutton, I'd pick ANDY REID over you. I think Andy could possibly know a thing or two about football personnel wouldn't you say?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and what style of defense did the HC want to see played in 08? Did that team have a QB that could keep our defense fresh? It takes many parts to make a team. To blame it all on one guy is wrong. Sutton was also HC at ARMY. The guy has been here for many regime changes. Ya think he might know something about football? If I had to pick a person to make a statment about Sutton, I'd pick ANDY REID over you. I think Andy could possibly know a thing or two about football personnel wouldn't you say?
    So when the Jets keep guys like Bradway around, it's because the Jets can't fire anyone. But in Sutton's case, it's because he's so f*cking good. How convenient.

The QB on the '08 team was Brett Favre, the RBs were Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. We had the best O-Line in football. So yeah the offense had no problem keeping Sutton's sucky defense fresh.

I never knocked him as a position coach, but his time as a DC was not impressive.

Andy Reid is an excellent offensive coach. His best years were when Jim Johnson was their DC. His last choice for DC was unqualified and a complete disaster. It's what ultimately got him fired in Philly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Sutton is leaving for KC because he got a defensive coordinator position. He was an LB coach with the Jets, was not going to be promoted, so he interviewed with a different team to get a coordinator job. You understand this is totally normal for any job -- not just football or sports -- and happens countless times every season? This is not an exodus, it is how coaching jobs work. talk about a "minimum level of competence" if you can't figure that out.
    If you consider his other title of Asst head coach, it could also be seen as a demotion. Dante Scanesecea is the oline coach, but he has the title of asst head coach which is a supervisory coaching position.

And it is not normal for a team that did not make the SB to lose so many Coaches. These guys were not fired, they left.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If you consider his other title of Asst head coach, it could also be seen as a demotion. Dante Scanesecea is the oline coach, but he has the title of asst head coach which is a supervisory coaching position.

And it is not normal for a team that did not make the SB to lose so many Coaches. These guys were not fired, they left.
    Anyone ever really believe that? Doubtful.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

-Sparano fired. Should not have been hired in the first place.
    -Cavanaugh fired. clearly didn't get through to Sanchez. Whether it wasn't teaching correctly or he was and Sanchez didn't put into practice, he had to go.
    -Pettine left on his own. admitted it was time to move out of Rex's shadow.
    -Sutton left on his own. got a DC job he wasn't getting in NY. This was a promotion for him. The asst. head coaching job is a title. go take a look at others around the league with the asst. head coach job title. It's a nice gesture for a position coach who's been around the block, knows his stuff, but will never be a head coach.

That's 2 who were fired, 2 who left.

Now this about it not being normal for non Super bowl winning teams to lose so many coaches? I don't get it. there are more than a handful of non super bowl teams that have lost at least 4 coaches this offseason. It also happens when teams realize they aren't good and need change.

I understand you are trying to paint the Jets/Rex/Woody in a bad light, but don't force it if it's not there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    -Sparano fired. Should not have been hired in the first place.
    -Cavanaugh fired. clearly didn't get through to Sanchez. Whether it wasn't teaching correctly or he was and Sanchez didn't put into practice, he had to go.
    -Pettine left on his own. admitted it was time to move out of Rex's shadow.
    -Sutton left on his own. got a DC job he wasn't getting in NY. This was a promotion for him. The asst. head coaching job is a title. go take a look at others around the league with the asst. head coach job title. It's a nice gesture for a position coach who's been around the block, knows his stuff, but will never be a head coach.

That's 2 who were fired, 2 who left.

Now this about it not being normal for non Super bowl winning teams to lose so many coaches? I don't get it. there are more than a handful of non super bowl teams that have lost at least 4 coaches this offseason. It also happens when teams realize they aren't good and need change.

I understand you are trying to paint the Jets/Rex/Woody in a bad light, but don't force it if it's not there.
    No, I am not trying to paint the jets in a bad light. I didn't even post on the Westoff thread or the Pettine thread.

It is highly unusual for a team to lose 5 coaches and retain the HC. I am not talking about staffs that also lost the HC. Dallas canned Ryan but what other HC lost 4 members of his staff.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I am not trying to paint the jets in a bad light. I didn't even post on the Westoff thread or the Pettine thread.

It is highly unusual for a team to lose 5 coaches and retain the HC. I am not talking about staffs that also lost the HC. Dallas canned Ryan but what other HC lost 4 members of his staff.
    Woody is star-struck with Rex!!!