Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bob Sutton To Interview With Kansas City

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    We lose to the good teams, because your QB sucks against decent teams, turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

It surely isn't against the defense

Before the cupcake part of our schedule, in our losses the defense was giving up an average of 31 points per game and our running back couldn't produce more than 50 yards on the ground.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Six of those seven losses were against playoff caliber competition. We lose because we aren't a good team. The team was built to win on a ferocious defense. We don't have that. The team was built to win on an aggressive ground game. We don't have that either.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    People want Rex's system. They are willing to take guys like Sutton to get it.
    They can have the "genius" himself. Just call our GM. Oh, that's right, we don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Before the cupcake part of our schedule, in our losses the defense was giving up an average of 31 points per game and our running back couldn't produce more than 50 yards on the ground.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Six of those seven losses were against playoff caliber competition. We lose because we aren't a good team. The team was built to win on a ferocious defense. We don't have that. The team was built to win on an aggressive ground game. We don't have that either.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    I will. That was Sanchez out there, not Rex. It was Sanchez being inaccurate not Rex. It was Sanchez throwing into double (and triple) coverage, not Rex. It was Sanchez fumbling the ball, not Rex. It was Sanchez running into Moore's a$$, not Rex.

Also, it is disingenuous to site the leading rusher and not the team rushing to arrive at the average. For example, against Pitt, the team rushed for 90 yards on 22 carries for a 4.1 average--- it was Sanchez's 10/27 for 138 yards that lost the game. Frankly, it's amazing the team rushed for 90 yards against Pitt with the Pitt D not concerned at all about Sanchez.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    Proof once again that numbers don't lie, men do. What CEO on the planet would see half of the executives in a division either quit or get fired within a week, and not think that there may be a problem with the guy running the division? The Jets should be a required class in every business school in the counrty on how NOT to do things.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    1) sanchez led the league in turnovers
    2) when you're behind, you run less and pass more
    3) statistics can be misinterpreted, as you have in this case

Veteran

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    All true but what does this have to do with Sutton getting a promotion to DC? I'm assuming you recall how Sutton's defense performed when he was DC of the Jets and not insinuating you want him to be the DC here again?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    Who have you become.. DWC's evil twin?

Here we go again with the STATZZ!!!!!

As others have pointed out,

1) leading rushers dont always tell the entire story
    2) when you get behind, you often have to abandon the run
    3) it's tough to run against good defenses when they don't respect your QB
    4) points allowed isn't always on the defense. Turnovers and field position play a huge role.

I know you get off on picking the unpopular opinion on the board and running with it - i mean it's not like you haven't been doing it for years or anything - but you can't tell me that watching Mark Sanchez in 2012 that he wasn't one of, if not the worst, starting QB in the league. Blame the coaching, blame the surrounding talent, yada yada yada, but the guy sucked. He deserves blame.

Close, but forgot the most important thing:

We wanted change including the head coach. The owner kept the head coach because of "continuity on the defensive side of the ball". Now half the defensive coaches are jumping ship faster than rats, and the cap issues point to only 3-5 defensive starters returning next season.

So we're keeping Rex Ryan and we're losing the decent defense, his only contribution for the last 4 years. We're not just rebuilding the offense; we're rebuilding everything under a coach that is crippling our GM search.

What a plan.

SAR I
    What a plan indeed. Woody is a bad owner. He is blinded by his passion for headlines, so hell keep Rex around because he is assured of getting them. All to the detriment of both the short term and long term success of the franchise.

Don't need to look at the stat's I watched the games felt the momentum swings. Watched a Defense give a offense all the chances they needed to hold their own. The nature of the game has changed for a D to be dominating they need a dominating line. Or a highly skilled CB tandem with good safety's. the intimidation factor has been almost completely eliminated from the game.

Was the defense tops in the league nope!!! But I bet Drew Brees woulda liked to have them.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I

Of course the RBs couldn't get yards. Since everyone knows that Sanchez is terrible, our RBs constantly faced a stacked box. If there were any threat at all of a legitimate passing attack, the running game would have been light years better.

Jets Insider VIP
    what I saw was a MOSTLY dominant defense for MOST of the game. Then they would screw up and a 50 yard play would kill the Jets. It was a good defense but not consistently great! We must have a pass rush! That secondary was fine but without a real passrush, we got zinged too much.

This is a defense that did not get Suckchez back the ball much at all!

All Pro

Blame Mark Sanchez!

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    You can blame Mark, but also the whole O as a unit. And ST too - they were guilty of some very bad turnovers.

Take the Patsie game as a microcosm of this - in less than a minute the D, and the O, and the ST unit, each gave up 7 points to the Patsies. That's a sure-fire recipe for a blow-out. You can't pin all that on the D.

It'd be interesting too see how many points came off turnovers by the offense, those by ST's, and by straightforward inability of the D to stop the other team.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I will. That was Sanchez out there, not Rex. It was Sanchez being inaccurate not Rex. It was Sanchez throwing into double (and triple) coverage, not Rex. It was Sanchez fumbling the ball, not Rex. It was Sanchez running into Moore's a$$, not Rex.
    Rex Ryan was 100% responsible for the roster. The roster had no playmakers, a weak OL, terrible WR's, a RB that can't run, and not even a dump-off back for emergencies.

Rex Ryan was 100% responsible for the offensive coordinator who built that pile of sh-t offense and called all the predictable plays.

So, yeah, Rex Ryan is responsible for the train-wreck of an offense we employed including the quarterback who was his personal draft choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Also, it is disingenuous to site the leading rusher and not the team rushing to arrive at the average. For example, against Pitt, the team rushed for 90 yards on 22 carries for a 4.1 average--- it was Sanchez's 10/27 for 138 yards that lost the game. Frankly, it's amazing the team rushed for 90 yards against Pitt with the Pitt D not concerned at all about Sanchez.
    This entire conversation is "disingenuous" because it's premise attacks a single Jet player in Mark Sanchez. If you're allowed to assassinate the QB as an individual then I'm allowed to criticize Shonn Greene as an individual.

The 2012 Jets were built to win on defense and the ground attack. They did neither. That's 80% of the failure right there. The quarterback is a 10%er, not the area to focus on our discuss.

SAR I

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Don't need to look at the stat's I watched the games felt the momentum swings. Watched a Defense give a offense all the chances they needed to hold their own. The nature of the game has changed for a D to be dominating they need a dominating line. Or a highly skilled CB tandem with good safety's. the intimidation factor has been almost completely eliminated from the game.

Was the defense tops in the league nope!!! But I bet Drew Brees woulda liked to have them.
    Your post is 10000% correct. This year's D was not as good as the 2009 squad but it was still pretty good. I can't count how many times a turnover or ST mistake put the D in a bad situation. You put this same defense with the same players on the Saints and I guarantee they win at last 12 games.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz

Chiefs made it official that Bob Sutton is their new DC. Jets have openings on defensive staff at LBs, OLBs and defensive backs.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Your post is 10000% correct. This year's D was not as good as the 2009 squad but it was still pretty good. I can't count how many times a turnover or ST mistake put the D in a bad situation. You put this same defense with the same players on the Saints and I guarantee they win at last 12 games.
    Pretty good is not good enough when you are building your team around a ferocious defense and ground+pound.

A pretty good Defense doesnt give up 34 points to the 49rs and 30 points to the Dolphins and 49 points to the Pats at home.

A pretty good Defense holds a lead in the final 1:37 in a game that is for first place.

Banned
    Sutton was an abortion of a DC when Mangini was here. Andy Reid just signed his own death warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Pretty good is not good enough when you are building your team around a ferocious defense and ground+pound.

A pretty good Defense doesnt give up 34 points to the 49rs and 30 points to the Dolphins and 49 points to the Pats at home.

A pretty good Defense holds a lead in the final 1:37 in a game that is for first place.
    21 pt in how many seconds following a failed 4th and 1 in which we fumbled. Defense was playing beyond good enough to win that game. It happened throughout the entire season. Go check the T.O.P.stats 3 and outs and first downs.
    You need and offense to compliment any defense and vise versa.
    FG fist pump Sporano was not the answer. I know what they were thinking with that move but it one most of us would not have made. It's alot easier for an offense to make up for a bad defense then it is a D to make up for a bad offense.

A factor that nobody touches on which amazes me. Teams that have won with mainly a strong defense always have an excellent punt returner which we haven't had since moss. and he was no jermaine Lewis or devin Hester

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Sutton was an abortion of a DC when Mangini was here. Andy Reid just signed his own death warrant.
    are you suggesting that you know more about football then Andy Reid? I know he only has been a HC for 14 years and that pales in comparison to your vast experience in these matters!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post

I just said that this years D was not as good as he 2009 squad. But if you watched those games you mentioned, you'll notice that the D kept the Jets in the game early, before turnovers and ST mishaps made it a moot point. Also consider it's hard to be more than pretty good when your best player on D is out. D wasn't the problem this year. Drew Brees would've killed to have this Jets defense on his team this year.