Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cimini: Jets right to take their time on GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Very Good Article...

But I want Popp and I dont think it would be to "bold" a move to go and get the guy!!!

40+ years of NO SBs is enough for me!!!
    +1!

I actually think its safer than hiring someone that's never been a GM...But that's me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    If Gamble was THAT good, he would have been hired already by someone.
    Using this logic, then all the GM candidates still on the Jets radar must not be "that good" because they don't have GM jobs already

Have you ever considered the possibility that some of the GM candidates that have been interviewed/approached are telling Woody that keeping Wrecks is a deal breaker. So your position is.....this GM must not be good if the team doesn't offer him the job?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Using this logic, then all the GM candidates still on the Jets radar must not be "that good" because they don't have GM jobs already

Have you ever considered the possibility that some of the GM candidates that have been interviewed/approached are telling Woody that keeping Wrecks is a deal breaker. So your position is.....this GM must not be good if the team doesn't offer him the job?
    But as Cimini said they all knew that before the interview even started..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind them taking their time. My concern is that they seem to be filling all of their coaching spots with no input from a GM. A coach should have quite a bit of say as to who is on his staff but a GM should also be in on the decisions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anybody is arguing that it isn't wise to do a thorough search.

I think the complaints are about forcing a HC on the candidates and the belief that it has hampered the search.

You know things are rough when Cimini isn't taking shots.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't mind them taking their time. My concern is that they seem to be filling all of their coaching spots with no input from a GM. A coach should have quite a bit of say as to who is on his staff but a GM should also be in on the decisions.
    Actually the head coach usually has final say over his assistant coaches. Plus, it's hard to argue against the two moves Rex made. Kotwica has been working under Westy for a while now, and Thurman knows Rex's defense better than most.

I hope Rex leans on his new GM for input on an offensive coordinator, but he certainly doesn't need help picking someone to run his defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Actually the head coach usually has final say over his assistant coaches. Plus, it's hard to argue against the two moves Rex made. Kotwica has been working under Westy for a while now, and Thurman knows Rex's defense better than most.

I hope Rex leans on his new GM for input on an offensive coordinator, but he certainly doesn't need help picking someone to run his defense.
    Yeah Rex's hire of Sparano was a great move.

Yes I acknowledged that the coach should have the final say in this task but the GM should have input as well. He is being hired to work with these guys and create a team philosophy and often GM's are well connected and know the league as good if not better than a coach as far as who is out there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Rex's hire of Sparano was a great move.
    Hence the reason why I said I want him to lean on the new GM for input on our next offensive coordinator.

Yes I acknowledged that the coach should have the final say in this task but the GM should have input as well. He is being hired to work with these guys and create a team philosophy and often GM's are well connected and know the league as good if not better than a coach as far as who is out there.
    I trust Rex to field a competent defense. I don't trust him to field a competent offense. That's where I hope and expect him to work with the new GM, who is going to have his work cut out for him in rebuilding the offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

There is always that chance, but this guy has been passed by several teams this off season.

And my position is this:
    1. I dont care enough to have a position.
    2. The new guy needs to fit the Jets, not the Jet fans.
    3. refer to 1.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...I interpreted "butt fumble" in a positive way
    yea, we own that one forever thanks to Sanchez, guess positive was in perspective to other reports on the Jets, it's open season

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good read thanks for link.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say when it comes to a GM+OC, just like the draft, shoot for the moon and aspire to be great… Is the goal to create an average franchise, or a Dynasty?

With that, I’d take a chance on Popp (a guy who has done it) and also hire Tressel as the OC (when he doesn’t get a HC job, which he won’t).

I don't want a bunch of NFL re-treads.
    Popp created an CFL dynasty, and now wants a new challenge.
    Tressel wants to be an NFL head coach.

These guys will come in hungry like Rex was in 2009 and that energy will carry through the organization...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I say when it comes to a GM+OC, just like the draft, shoot for the moon and aspire to be great… Is the goal to create an average franchise, or a Dynasty?

With that, I’d take a chance on Popp (a guy who has done it) and also hire Tressel as the OC (when he doesn’t get a HC job, which he won’t).

I don't want a bunch of NFL re-treads.
    Popp created an CFL dynasty, and now wants a new challenge.
    Tressel wants to be an NFL head coach.

These guys will come in hungry like Rex was in 2009 and that energy will carry through the organization...
    +1. I think this guy Popp could be just what we need right now. How about Wisenhunt as OC? that would be sweet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not on this planet. What coach but in Dallas doesn't hire his own coaches? That was one of the knocks on Dallas and Oakland.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    He more often than not does,most people can't see beyond their blind hatred for journalists or the fact he once worked for a tabloid who's news agenda was very different(hence the fact Mehta has stepped into that role).

People often don't wan't to hear the uncomfortable truth that a good journalist uncovers so they blame the messenger.Cimini is one of the better ones in my view
    Exactly. ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shift from going after a talent evaluator to going after a "cap guy" scares the crap out of me.

Why on earth would we do that? We just had a cap guy -- and when Mangini left Rex proved he's an awful talent evaluator, which has crippled the team.

We need a guy to draft well and make shrewd personel decisions -- there are plenty of contract lawyers we can bring in to help with the cap.

If we hire this Tanny clone Kahn from the Steelers.... Ugh.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The shift from going after a talent evaluator to going after a "cap guy" scares the crap out of me.

Why on earth would we do that? We just had a cap guy -- and when Mangini left Rex proved he's an awful talent evaluator, which has crippled the team.

We need a guy to draft well and make shrewd personel decisions -- there are plenty of contract lawyers we can bring in to help with the cap.

If we hire this Tanny clone Kahn from the Steelers.... Ugh.
    Our scouting dept. has proven to be pretty good in the last decade(whether losing Joey Clinkscales makes a big difference remains to be seen).the point is our talent evaluators are good,the new GM needs to believe in them and back them,ideally that person would have extensive scouting knowledge but it's not essential.